Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has recently developed a substantial rattle under the dash. It seems to be located between the LCD panel and windshield towards the passenger side. It sounds like unsecured sheet metal.
It only happens at low speed, and is pretty pronounced in my residential neighborhood where the street is pretty smooth. It ceases when I speed up.
Has anyone else had this happen?
I am doubtful my dealer will chase this and am not comfortable with them going on a "fishing expedition" that might incur additional latent damage.
And I can't always drive fast enough to stay out of the resonant period!
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
That sucks - hope you get it figured out. It would drive me absolutely insane.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have a LEXUS with a rattle. Found out it was the license plate rattling around. Easy fix. Hope you figure yours out. That drives me nuts.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Since vibration & sound can travel, I suppose I'd check under the hood and under the car as well. Yes, I wouldn't want the dealer tearing things up to fix it unless they have a specific bulletin. Did you have any mods installed or dealer service prior to the rattle? Good luck and I hope you find the source.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car has recently developed a substantial rattle under the dash. It seems to be located between the LCD panel and windshield towards the passenger side. It sounds like unsecured sheet metal.
It only happens at low speed, and is pretty pronounced in my residential neighborhood where the street is pretty smooth. It ceases when I speed up.
Has anyone else had this happen?
I am doubtful my dealer will chase this and am not comfortable with them going on a "fishing expedition" that might incur additional latent damage.
And I can't always drive fast enough to stay out of the resonant period!
best regards
Pete
Did you determine the problem? I’m having the exact same thing!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Check the air ducting under the passenger side dash. Look up from floor mat and you'll see the HVAC duct. This was quite loose on mine and zip tie solved it. Mine was certainly making a noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts