Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quiet Friday night turned into an install fest. Took off the trims to route cables and hardwired the dashcam. Installation was quite straightforward apart from me misplacing the t40 bit. Off to Bunnings (hardware store) before closing times and it was on like Donkey Kong!

I've been through the two major Korean brands in my previous cars, the Finevu was in my 147, and Blackvue DR650GW 2 CH in the Giulietta. I'd always been intrigued by the Thinkware offerings, and the reviews comparing it to the Blackvue DR650S were quite favourable.

I should really take better photos of the camera, but for now, this will do.

I have temporarily placed my rear camera on the factory wind blocker, but might change this if I do end up going ahead getting an acrylic windblocker. The MX5 guys have installed the rear dash cam via a mount that is much higher, but I actually hate the way they look. The current position isn't the best, as the boot is out of sight, but it is a compromise I'm willing to take (knock wood that I don't jinx it).

I used fuse 5 for switched and fuse 14 for constant power. Grounded the circuit on the bolt that holds the fuse holder.

Voila! Can't wait to go on a drive to check out the videos!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
You pulled off the windshield trim pieces? was that hard to do?
Was there no fuse terminals available (I guess very few people have wiring diagrams for the car)?

I have the cheapest dash cam ever in my Suburban, but was thinking about getting one for the spider. It looks unobtrusive (the front), so less chance of it getting pinched...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You pulled off the windshield trim pieces? was that hard to do?
Was there no fuse terminals available (I guess very few people have wiring diagrams for the car)?

I have the cheapest dash cam ever in my Suburban, but was thinking about getting one for the spider. It looks unobtrusive (the front), so less chance of it getting pinched...
It's literally six screws - three on each side. T40 and T30 bolts, and the usual careful tug to remove the windshield trim. Not hard at all, and you really don't need to pull the whole thing off - just a little as long as you can run the cables inside of the liners. I chose the add a circuit route to make removal easy. There were plenty of empty slots available in our cars - but these were the ones I ended up going with. I used the install guide by one of the guys from the Miata forum - https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=590420&highlight=inside+fuse+block

I used my trusty Kincrome circuit tester to hunt down the constant power, and settled with fuse 14.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a little video from tonight's drive home. The top was down, so it was really noisy. I was also driving on a road with a relatively strict speed limit (80kph) and a few speed cameras around.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Really, really want a Record Mona now.

·
Registered
719 Posts
A quiet Friday night turned into an install fest. Took off the trims to route cables and hardwired the dashcam. Installation was quite straightforward apart from me misplacing the t40 bit. Off to Bunnings (hardware store) before closing times and it was on like Donkey Kong!

I've been through the two major Korean brands in my previous cars, the Finevu was in my 147, and Blackvue DR650GW 2 CH in the Giulietta. I'd always been intrigued by the Thinkware offerings, and the reviews comparing it to the Blackvue DR650S were quite favourable.

I should really take better photos of the camera, but for now, this will do.

I have temporarily placed my rear camera on the factory wind blocker, but might change this if I do end up going ahead getting an acrylic windblocker. The MX5 guys have installed the rear dash cam via a mount that is much higher, but I actually hate the way they look. The current position isn't the best, as the boot is out of sight, but it is a compromise I'm willing to take (knock wood that I don't jinx it).

I used fuse 5 for switched and fuse 14 for constant power. Grounded the circuit on the bolt that holds the fuse holder.

Voila! Can't wait to go on a drive to check out the videos!
Electrical work is pretty foreign to me, so please excuse me haha. Which add-a-fuses did you end up using? I'm looking to do the same with my F770 but BlackboxMyCar hasn't been incredibly helpful.

Also, is there anything stopping us from using any one of the empty fuses spots?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had my dash cam also installed near the rearview mirror. As for the wire, you can take a flat head screw driver and push/tuck the wire in between the front windshield and the top cover piece. Run it along the pillar using the same trick. Nothing has to be taken apart unless you want to.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had my dash cam also installed near the rearview mirror. As for the wire, you can take a flat head screw driver and push/tuck the wire in between the front windshield and the top cover piece. Run it along the pillar using the same trick. Nothing has to be taken apart unless you want to.
I have this 5$ kit from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01HT9M6XI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T1_AKHCzbXAWSRG6

That is made of plastic and runs much less risks of scratching your panels than a flat head screwdriver. It can be used as I did, to tuck the wire behind the windshield trim.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts