Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what's involved with a dealer getting you the car you want from another dealer say 3-400 km away? I expect to get a bunch hoopla and I'd just like some background info...do they buy/sell them to each other? Trade them? Transport costs? Who knows how this works?

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
They will likely have someone drive it to your dealership.

·
Registered
480 Posts
generally they trade vehicles, if a customer wants something which their dealer does not have on hand they will call the other dealer and work out a trade for something they will sell easily. generally the cars on a dealer's are not purchased by the dealer, "leased" to them for them to sell. so the longer a car sits on the lot the more it costs them. so the trade does not need to be 1 for 1 dollar wise, but just a unit of inventory. but if the stocking dealer is selling the desired car, then they may be reluctant to trade...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have never had an issue with dealerships trading cars...until this one. Struck out on two dealer trades and had to take matters into my own hand and go get it out of state. Basically, if the car is with 100 miles, it's not usually an issue. Outside of 100 miles, the transport costs become a negotiating point for the deal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have experience with this. I was working with my local Fiat dealer trying to procure an Abarth from other dealers around the country, and none of the dealers were willing to give up the cars at that time. I ended up having to fly to a dealership in Texas from my home state of Wisconsin and drive the car back. Funny enough, I'm doing that same exact thing this weekend. I'm picking up an ND Grand Touring for the wife. :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Every situation is unique but the first step is getting both dealers to agree on a trade. Once that happens it comes done to the cost of transporting, which in your case appears to be where it may be difficult unless you are willing to pay some or all of the cost to get it from one dealer to the other.

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the insight guys.

For those that do the fly and drive back...how would you handle the situation if you were to arrive only to find the car not as promised (and assuming not a quick / easy fix). What if it were something like damaged paint, or in fact missing a crucial option (e.g Recaro seats or Bose audio)? My faith in dealers is unfortunately pretty low.

B

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Thanks for the insight guys.

For those that do the fly and drive back...how would you handle the situation if you were to arrive only to find the car not as promised (and assuming not a quick / easy fix). What if it were something like damaged paint, or in fact missing a crucial option (e.g Recaro seats or Bose audio)? My faith in dealers is unfortunately pretty low.

B
Walk away from the deal.

·
Registered
242 Posts
And be sure to check the window sticker before you go. Don't trust what the dealer advertises or says online or on the phone. Their mistakes are usually due to ignorance or mistake, not intentional, but I have always been surprised at how often they make mistakes in describing what the car has or does not have.

Reactions: Butterpants

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
And be sure to check the window sticker before you go. Don't trust what the dealer advertises or says online or on the phone. Their mistakes are usually due to ignorance or mistake, not intentional, but I have always been surprised at how often they make mistakes in describing what the car has or does not have.
That's what I did. Lots of pictures of the car (it was actually still in storage, covered in dirt and the plastic wrap; it was a bit of a risk).

You are still at the mercy of the dealer actually prepping the car., at this point, car unseen. Don't do or say anything to make them work harder than usual, that may piss them off. Treat them like you want to be treated. I know car salesmen tend to get a bad wrap, but they are just trying to do their job like anyone else.

Of course, this doesn't necessarily solve a problem with a ding in a panel, or a broken mirror, for example. But, they would be more apt to work it out if you have given them a smooth sale (I don't actually know whether this is true, but look in the mirror - if someone is a pain in the neck to you, how likely are you to help them out?).

For me, things went smoothly. Car was clean and tidy on the lot when I turned up in a taxi. About 45 minutes of paperwork and I was driving away. Considering the number of car sales made every day, without a hitch, the odds are actually in your favor.

Oh, I'll also add, car manufacturers do take complaints very seriously (even though it feels like they don't).

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Does anyone know what's involved with a dealer getting you the car you want from another dealer say 3-400 km away? I expect to get a bunch hoopla and I'd just like some background info...do they buy/sell them to each other? Trade them? Transport costs? Who knows how this works?

Thanks

Bill
I live in NC and my dealer ended up finding my car in Daytona Beach , an Abarth optioned with just what I wanted, red exterior, black/red leather int, all three packages- comfort, visibility and navigation. I passed on the pretty Brembo brakes or Recaro seats. So he will send a chase car with two guys to Daytona once the car leaves the port in Jacksonville and is delivered to the dealer in Daytona. My only gripe is the 600 miles somebody else is going to put on the car. I can always close the deal here beforehand and fly down myself. Still pondering it.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Thanks

Bill
Bill - A “dealer trade” was exactly how I got my 2018 Abarth this August. It took the local dealer (30 miles away) over a month to find what I specifically wanted and a dealer that was willing to trade them for one on their lot. My dealer was turned down 4 or 5 times because I wanted a Red Abarth with a manual and specific set of options Brembos, Recaro’s, etc.)

You need to stay on top of your salesman and get a picture of the window sticker. I specified how many miles on the vehicle would be acceptable and offered to pay half of the transportation costs to keep the vehicle from being driven.

In the end, my dealership traded a white 2019 Abarth for the red 2018 Abarth I wanted. I am very satisfied. A “dealer trade” can work very well but you have to stay on top of the salesman to make sure you get what you want.

Good luck on your search! - Kurt

Attachments

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
LOL

I wasn't gonna SAY ANYTHING. @68wooley

aloha mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
:rolleyes: Not quite sure what I stepped into but I’ll try and clean my shoes off before I get back into the Abarth...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Bill has had a rocky ownership experience with his Red Abarth, so we must all be very nice to him. He might put a spell on us all otherwise.:eek:
And he happens to be a very nice guy as well:):)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I really wanted car A from dealership 1. Dealership 2 had my second choice car B. I sent an offer to both and after some online negotiation dealer 2 went for my offer on car B. Dealership 1 was $2,000 away from my offer and not budging. As I'm driving to dealership 2 to buy my second choice car I get an email notification. I didn't read it until I pulled in to the lot. They sold the car as I was driving up to buy it! There were 2 cars available at that moment in 250 mile radius that were what I wanted and one of them just sold and the other one was $2k more than I was willing to pay. It took three days of trying, but my salesman was finally able to swap something with dealership 1 to get car A from them and sell to me for the price I wanted originally. The kicker: It wasn't really car A, it is a 2019 equipped the same way and the original deal was for a 2018 (which got sold). So I ended up getting my first choice for my price after all, only a year newer, because Marty at Moore Fiat in Peoria AZ kicks ass!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts