Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in my STU build thread on Yokohamas on concrete the Spider has a bit of wheel hop that I would like to get rid of. The car has differential bushing inserts, so further upstream are the motor mounts. It appears the fiat and mazda share the same (lower) motor mount configuration. Reading through a few threads on here it appears the stud may or may not be longer? Either way, there is a not insignificant price difference between the two. Is anyone successfully running aftermarket delrin mazda motor mount on their fiat? Brand?

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,647 Posts
The only ones I have seen are sold by Deyeme Racing. $299 a side, 2 stiffness rates, 4 colors of poly, and has the matching Diff Mount for $169 with same options. I would love to drop them all in, but they will have to wait for now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same.

Extremely expensive compared to it's miata counterpart. I see why, pricing the stock fiat mounts they are built off of. I am going to take some measurements off a friend's cusco mounts this weekend. For comparison they are 345 for the pair.

·
Registered
924 Posts
As mentioned in my STU build thread on Yokohamas on concrete the Spider has a bit of wheel hop that I would like to get rid of. The car has differential bushing inserts, so further upstream are the motor mounts. It appears the fiat and mazda share the same (lower) motor mount configuration. Reading through a few threads on here it appears the stud may or may not be longer? Either way, there is a not insignificant price difference between the two. Is anyone successfully running aftermarket delrin mazda motor mount on their fiat? Brand?
Wheelops are a feature of miatas because of there’s only a PPF mount
connecting the whole thing.

The only thing to get rid of wheel hop is to get proper coilovers, poly bushings for the diff mount, eng. mounts and all suspension bushings

Other than that, there’s nothing you can do except slipping the clutch more on start or easy in the throttle

The torque also make the hopping more sever, I already broke my OEM rubber diff mount and my differential just went after track days because it was damage prior by launching and wheel hops

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wheelops are a feature of miatas because of there’s only a PPF mount
connecting the whole thing.

The only thing to get rid of wheel hop is to get proper coilovers, poly bushings for the diff mount, eng. mounts and all suspension bushings

Other than that, there’s nothing you can do except slipping the clutch more on start or easy in the throttle

The torque also make the hopping more sever, I already broke my OEM rubber diff mount and my differential just went after track days because it was damage prior by launching and wheel hops
Car has bilstein MDSs, karcepts bushings, and mazdaspeed inserts. The engine mounts are the missing piece. Trying to avoid the broken differential. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts

What about this - it has been confirmed to fit the 124 and should do more than the inserts.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts

What about this - it has been confirmed to fit the 124 and should do more than the inserts.
That's the Diff Mount. There are a couple different places to get them with better bushings if you don't want to use the inserts that are cheaper and lighter than that one. Looks great though!

Stu did the initial work, contacted me, and I sent my motor mounts to AWR Racing to create a set of 88 Durometer Motor Mounts for me and a set for him at his flex choosing for free to assist them in the measurements to create the prototypes. Shortly after that, they should be up for sale to the public for another option there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't run that in my class, due to the aforementioned weight difference. The motor mounts that we sourced to be made should solve my issues. plenty of miata guys running around on mounts and inserts without issue.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's the Diff Mount. There are a couple different places to get them with better bushings if you don't want to use the inserts that are cheaper and lighter than that one. Looks great though!

Stu did the initial work, contacted me, and I sent my motor mounts to AWR Racing to create a set of 88 Durometer Motor Mounts for me and a set for him at his flex choosing for free to assist them in the measurements to create the prototypes. Shortly after that, they should be up for sale to the public for another option there.
For the diff mounts - I looked but am only seeing 2016 MX5 stuff - not sure that it's really for the ND platform. Do you happen to have links to any bushings that I could press in vs buying that whole JBR piece?

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Good-Win Racing sells an adder bushing in 2 stiffnesses that drops in WITH the OEM bushing to fill gaps and Energy Suspension sells a complete replacement kit for diff mount (EuroCompulsion and others sell the full car kit that has front and rear control arms, sway bars, and diff bushings in one big set also). Deyeme Racing sells a "refurbished" OEM mount that has new bushings already inserted in your choice of 4 colors and 2 stiffnesses, that is probably the route I will go since its not much more cost than the bushing kit and no labor on my part to press out and back in. I have enough to do with the control arm kits.

Reactions: Mike34

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Reactions: wrh3

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the diff mounts - I looked but am only seeing 2016 MX5 stuff - not sure that it's really for the ND platform. Do you happen to have links to any bushings that I could press in vs buying that whole JBR piece?
The mazda stuff is the same. I have mazdaspeed inserts in my differential bushings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts