Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Depressive spring 2020

10K views 109 replies 27 participants last post by  Imodjin 
#1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, my depression was almost gone and the spring anxiety was getting to me due to spring.
Well that's all gone, depression has gotten worst due to the Corona Virus.

Stock market is crashing 35% down
Can/t associate with people
today came back from a 2 month vacation and guess what, I have to stay 14 days of isolation.
If you weren't positive, believe me, at the airport or in the plane you have good chances to get it.
KOODO to the airline gutzy personel, I have to tip my hat to them for doing their job and puts their lives at risk
to catch the virus.
Nice weather here and I can't go and do some spring work on the car.
I rather spent 2 weeks in Jain then 14 days of isolation. But being a responsible man, I have no choice but to do it.
last 10 days the beaches were empty, barely anyone in the streets and people started wearing masks I guess everyone there is scared.

So another month of Depression. let's hope this is behind us.

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi Frank.....Yep, as the boys are saying above "We have to on with it and it WILL get better". Personally I start the day with a set of warm up exercises, weights and warm downs, good healthy breakfast and walk the dogs "without going near anybody and usually quite early, gardening and/or DIY, shower. I check the e-mails and 124 Spider.org to REPORT & IGNORE you know what or who. I prepare lunch ( wife not well) and do the housework jobs, Eat, clean up and walk the dogs.
Para Siesta early afternoon with a good book, play my guitar and try writing new stuff, exercise routine, light supper, dog walk, basic TV (if I must) then hit the "Chill Room" for some CD and keyboard time, make the cocoa or whatever and am in bed by 10.30 pm chilled with a book......so.........
If you haven't already Matey...get a routine sorted and you will find both physical and mental health are fine, honestly.
Best Wishes and Cheers
ron

#6 ·
The routine is super important. I’ve been out of work for a week already since we shut down. Here in New Jersey, all non-essential businesses are set to close tomorrow. I’ve been working via satellite, which is interesting because I work in a therapeutic school for teens.

Establishing a routine has helped me remain sane. Wake up early, train my karate, eat breakfast, work via satellite until 2, go for a walk/do yard work/tinker, make dinner, read, make music, etc. Fresh air does wonders.

yesterday I did some motoring with the 124 very early in the morning when things were empty. That centered me.

It stinks when the spontaneity and freedoms in life are limited, but there are still simple things we can enjoy and do for ourselves, which is what I’m trying to do on my end.

been reaching out to friends and buddies, which also helps.

#7 ·
I have been working from home. How long my employer will want to keep us all going is a worthwhile question.

I will be very depressed if finances prevent me from buying an Abarth (still no VIN from the dealer, Hiroshima is apparently still building cars) this spring.

#8 ·
I have empathy for all of you struggling with the self isolation bit. I know what I went through when I first retired, and was at my witt's end until I figured out that establishing a routine to replace my work routine was the solution. Like all things, this too shall pass. The stock markets will recover and rebound, similar to the way in which they did back during the global economic crisis back in 2008. It is harder though for those that have to draw on their retirement funds when the market is depressed, but for anyone with some cash float, now is definately the time to buy in the market. Great profits are dead ahead.

Polish your cars, detail the interior and engine bay, have a glass of wine, and wave to your neighbours when you see them.

Frank, if it's any consolation, I was watching a clip on the news last night about a couple that were going through their third round of isolation. They were in Wuhan visiting with his parents during the intiial outbreak, so were quarantined there. Then they got flown back to Canada, and went into quarantine again at Trenton, and now that they're home again, they're going through a third round. That's brutal!

#68 ·
Funny you mentioned being isolated after retirement. I felt positively alone and it took some adjusting before I came to enjoy it. I quit early, my idiot boss got himself fired over sexual harassment. He blew a 30 year job over stupidity, and left our department up for grabs. It was given to some brown noser punk, and l was able to walk away.
So this quarantine isn’t so much different, except businesses are closed. Fortunately it’s a lovely spring and there’s plenty of open road in central TX with nobody else on it.
I feel very lucky with all the uncertainty. We’ll come out of this OK.
Best regards
Pete

#10 ·
One happy note, she fired on the first start after 2 months of hibernation. :love:
Now I am working on glueing the scorpion on the oil cap, I found this High heat gasket
rtv silicone gasket and hopefully it will work. Picture coming soon.
Hey I have 13 days left to kill time.:cool:

#11 ·
One happy note, she fired on the first start after 2 months of hibernation. :love:
Now I am working on glueing the scorpion on the oil cap, I found this High heat gasket
rtv silicone gasket and hopefully it will work. Picture coming soon.
Hey I have 13 days left to kill time.:cool:
There you go!

#12 · (Edited)
As an IT analyst working for Quebec gouvernent I have a chance to work from home and still get fully paid unlike all worker from resto bars and store chains. But I don't know what will be the COVID isolation strategy this spring when I'll get my Spider out of hibernation. May be I'll have to let it sit in the driveway for a few more weeks. Time will tell.

But Frank I wish your family in iItaly are fine!

#14 ·
Thanks guys, my cousins are in the southern Italy in Puglia, so far they're ok. One other major dream down the drain, was the ROUTE 66 DRIVE I had planned this spring. But health is more important, Route 66 won't go away and can wait..

#15 ·
the scorpion seems to be holding well on the oil cap. Will see if it holds well when it heats up when car is driving

Attachments

Reactions: Mike34 and CDPond
#16 ·
Looks good! That RTV should hold, as it can usually take high heat.

#18 ·
I’m taking positives from the huge outpouring of community spirit I’m seeing - neighbors helping each other and doing what they can to support small local businesses. Honestly, as horrible as this is, we - in the US at least - needed something to remind us we have have more in common with each other than what separates us.

We’ll get through this.

#20 ·
@frankmar aloha brother! man what a wonderful forum...look at all the love thrown your way! good job on the oil cap.

the routine suggestion seems like the right way to go.

Maybe sit down and make a list of all the things that need to be done around the house. (don't look at the list all at once..it will get overwhelming, if you do....take one item/task at a time and make it happen) before you know it all the honey do's will be done, the virus will be gone and you 'll be out on the open road running down Route 66!

aloha mike

#21 ·
I belong to a couple of Fiat 124 Spider groups on Facebook; it is a very international goup of people, where owners love to post photos of their Fiat Spiders in the most amazing settings.

Over the weekend I posted photos of my Fiat 124 Spider in front of Mount Baker. This morning one fellow owner in France wrote under one of my photos:
“Unfortunately, we are not allowed to drive our 124 any longer; lockdowns are now in place in Europe. Take care of yourself and your loved ones.”

?

#56 ·
... This morning one fellow owner in France wrote under one of my photos:
“Unfortunately, we are not allowed to drive our 124 any longer; lockdowns are now in place in Europe. ..."
What the actual @@@@?! What the xxxx has that got to do with anything?!

#24 ·
Today's stay-at-home order by Michigan's governor means I won't be getting my new Giulia anytime soon. It's about twenty miles away and behind a fence, so I can't even go visit it.

Hiroshima is still building Spiders and Miatas. No sign of the one I consider mine yet. Maybe there will be metal-moving incentives by the time it lands here.

#28 · (Edited)
Killing time so i designed this plate that will replace the topspeed base for my Diecast spider
Since there s no sn under the car I reserved sn 1000. Lol
Let me know what you think of it.
Corners will be rounded and since shops are closed for 3 weeks here due to CoronaV I have time to update it.

Attachments

Reactions: CDPond and Mike34
#32 · (Edited)
Nice! I've ordered a bunch of LEGO material, and my plan is to build a replica of the floor in my garage.... black and white checker tiles, with the red tiles to outline where the car is parked. Once complete, then I'll need to get an acrylic cover fabricated for it. Be sure to post a picture of your base when it's completed. Look forward to seeing it...

Here's what I'm working towards....

Reactions: frankmar
#29 ·
Lockdown in UK as well. Just as I get my EC phase 1 and Pop map....oh well, will be doing some deep cleaning of the car in the garage, engine detail etc.

Be safe everyone!

Reactions: Brexit !
#30 ·
Lockdown in UK as well. Just as I get my EC phase 1 and Pop map....oh well, will be doing some deep cleaning of the car in the garage, engine detail etc.

Be safe everyone!
And you Matey ! Cheers
ron

Reactions: Aldo
#31 ·
Don't worry @frankmar I have been today 10 days in isolation here in Puerto Rico and haven't drive mine since then and it is extremely difficult because I drive the car daily and I miss all the fun. Hope this ends soon for those who don't get paychecks in this situation.

Reactions: Brexit ! and Mike34
#38 ·
Yeh, All we have had on the USA so far was "The Donald" really but last night a thing called "BBC Worldwide America" came on mid evening and it went from a statement from Mr Trump saying something about it all being over by Easter.....to reports from across the USA, NY state seeming to be the epicenter, but grim everywhere and forecasts not good; Meanwhile, here it seems that we are "mostly" following the rules and that the Crap is about to hit the pan Big Time too !
The Spider goes in for it's second service tomorrow, my local independent Garage Foreman (A Good Mate) is collecting it early and bringing it home after work, so as much as I am missing driving and enjoying my Spider......It has to be done that way to keep any warranty my Modded Spider has left in force...still, compared with what the World is going through........
Keep Safe Mate
ron

#34 · (Edited)
Denver mayor issued a shelter-in-place order yesterday and forgot to include liquor and pot shops in the 'essential' businesses list. With a very real threat of riots, prohibition lasted about an hour before a revised order was issued.

Apparently pot is where we draw the line on removal of personal freedoms :D

#35 ·
I built a Ferrari F40 LEGO set last night while stuck at home... ?

liquor stores in town are taking orders via phone and putting them in your trunk upon arrival so you don’t need to enter the store...don’t know how safe that feels. Craft beer supplies are low in my fridge, but don’t know if I want to take the chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.