Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
First, I'll categorically state that I think the current COVID-19 is something to be concerned about. It most assuredly is. The part I struggle with is, is it being blown way out of proportion? And the more I dig into this, the more uncertain I become. I just know I'll err on the side of caution. History will tell the tale with certainly, but that's in the future....

The CDC (which I think we can rely upon as a trusted source of information) estimates that for the Influenza A and B strains, for which we have vaccinations available... globally there have been 38,000,000 to 54,000,000 infections to date in the 2019-2020 flu season, with between 23,000 and 59,000 deaths. And historically, that's not an abnormal... or even high... count, looking back over past seasons. Here's the CDC article link I'm referring to: Preliminary In-Season 2019-2020 Flu Burden Estimates

Which means that from a numbers perspective, the annual Influenza outbreak is a much higher risk for infection and mortality than COVID-19. It would also appear that the main reason COVID-19 has been hyped so much is because its new and not completely understood. So it's the wildcard factor that has various health agencies concerned. They don't know what they don't know. Here's an article that speaks to that aspect of things: How does the new coronavirus compare with the flu?

So hang tough, look out for yourselves and your families, and my sincere condoloences to anyone who has lost a friend or loved one due to either Influenza or COVID-19. Just yesterday, we had a death in the assisted living complex literally three blocks from where I live. A lady in her 80's. Seven others in the complex have tested positive... 6 residents and 1 care worker. It is currently believed the infection was community spread. And the residents live right next to and frequently walk to a small shopping district with a drug store, medical offices, restaurants, coffee shops and a supermarket. So yes, it's literally hitting close to home, and I intend on avoiding any of those facilities until this blows over.

Be careful out there...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Coronavirus is more serious than influenza because (1) it has a long gestation period of 2 weeks with no symptoms, allowing it to spread faster and farther, (2) has a higher mortality rate —at 1%-2%, it is 10 times that of influenza, and (3) about 15% of all cases require hospitalization. When you combine all of the above, if left unmitigated, COVID-19 can overwhelm our healthcare infrastructure, potentially compounding its mortality even further.

Despite strict mitigation steps taken by China, South Korea and Japan, and strict mitigation steps now being implemented in Europe, India and the Americas, COVID-19 has killed 21,000 people in three months so far. My guess is that the actual numbers are much worse; there are parts of the world —e.g., Mexico, parts of sub-Saharan Africa— that are not even keeping statistics.

These mitigation efforts are aimed at saving lives, but they are having a devastating effect on the economy. These epidemics are known to appear and reappear in waves. If we are lucky to weather this one by Easter —a big IF, chances are there will be subsequent bouts over the next 18 months we will have to deal with.

Even if we get through this with only a few hundred thousand deaths, given how much of our economy is being shut down, and for how long, is going to have long lasting consequences.

In my opinion, when this is finally over, there will be two distinct periods: pre and post-epidemic, with stark differences in standards of living, in geopolitics, and even our individual values, beliefs and attitudes.

All crises bring their own set of threats and opportunities. We need to keep our health and our faith, and be smart to see the opportunities.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I’m still working in a business considered essential. This week my company put out a package to help all associates weather this crisis. I can’t divulge the terms of this package, but it gives associates great latitude on how to plan on how to cope with this virus. Seniors have been given even greater help. Monetary incentives are being given to all full time employees to put back into our economy.

I feel blessed to work for a company that cares so much for it’s employees.

Dan

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
We do analytics software and both government and healthcare are big customers. We're being run off our feet with requests for assistance trying to track and project the direction this thing is taking, much of which will never lead to any revenue for the company, but the orders from the top are any COVID-19 related requests are to take immediate priority regardless of cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been working from home. How long my employer will want to keep us all going is a worthwhile question.

I will be very depressed if finances prevent me from buying an Abarth (still no VIN from the dealer, Hiroshima is apparently still building cars) this spring.
Check with the FIAT dealers in Columbus, GA and in Birmingham, AL.. Both have new 124 Abarth models in stock.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Depression? You got a roof over your head. You got a nice car. Doesn't sound like you're hungry. Depression is a luxury item my friend. You need a little Wes Watson in your life. Our ancestors had to go through a hell of a lot harder stuff than this. We owe it to them. No bombs dropping on our heads. Set some goals and go get it!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
We do analytics software and both government and healthcare are big customers. We're being run off our feet with requests for assistance trying to track and project the direction this thing is taking, much of which will never lead to any revenue for the company, but the orders from the top are any COVID-19 related requests are to take immediate priority regardless of cost.
Sounds like job security for the time being.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Depression? You got a roof over your head. You got a nice car. Doesn't sound like you're hungry. Depression is a luxury item my friend. You need a little Wes Watson in your life. Our ancestors had to go through a hell of a lot harder stuff than this. We owe it to them. No bombs dropping on our heads. Set some goals and go get it!!
Bit HARD there Matey......You obviously do not understand depression, it's a medical condition not a lifestyle choice ! Rugby Stars, Judo Champions, Heavyweight Boxers along with Office & Construction workers, Priests and Social Workers suffer, all we can do if we are lucky enough to not suffer from this condition, is offer support and assistance where asked for.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
After consultation with the medical profession and statistical modeling performed by state agencies and the University of Minnesota based on data of how the virus has acted to date, both in our region and other global regions, and playing out future forecasting of how things may look in weeks and months in each reaction scenario, the MN Governor is ordering stay at home (for non-essential movements and professions) for 2 weeks starting late Friday night.

The publicized rationale being... buy time. MN is not yet a hardest hit state, based on virus testing performed to date. (We are, so far, doing a good job as a state society in slowing the spread.) Their models show the bulk of the tidal wave is still coming, but these stay put orders help the reacting agencies and professions ramp up more, create bed space where none exists, build the inventories of equipment and supplies, so when the peaks do occur hopefully the response will be one of a better level of preparedness.

"Shelter in place" orders, wherever they are, whatever they are called, and whatever the fine details may be, are not as much meant to stop this virus in its tracks. (Martial Law may do that, but who wants to go that far?) They are meant to slow down its eventual peak so we can be better prepared to fight it.

Probably next year, there will be a component available for an annual flu shot, and this will subside to a level not unlike the traditional flues. Winter is starting south of the equator, it will still be bad in those regions this year with the likelyhood of its return to northern latitudes next autumn and winter. Preparation, it's all about preparation.

Steve.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bit HARD there Matey......You obviously do not understand depression, it's a medical condition not a lifestyle choice ! Rugby Stars, Judo Champions, Heavyweight Boxers along with Office & Construction workers, Priests and Social Workers suffer, all we can do if we are lucky enough to not suffer from this condition, is offer support and assistance where asked for.
I understand depression from having had it and ultimately understanding what it was, which is a selfish person's disease. Examine the self-talk of anybody that's depressed and everything starts with I and me. Why am I like this? Why does this always happen to me? How come I can't be happy? How come she doesn't return MY calls? My answer is get up off your ass and do something for somebody else and stop thinking about you and your depression will disappear. Now, I recognize that this is a completely unpopular position. And I also recognize that the depletion of brain chemicals from drug abuse or because of some sort of genetic issue can also cause profound depression, which while following the above negative self-talk model, is not caused by it. But the vast majority of depression is a modern disease brought about by the luxury of being able to sit around and negatively contemplate our existence. To hell with that. If that guy's going to put out a call for help looking for commiseration find somebody else. You heard my advice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
First, I'll categorically state that I think the current COVID-19 is something to be concerned about. It most assuredly is. The part I struggle with is, is it being blown way out of proportion? And the more I dig into this, the more uncertain I become. I just know I'll err on the side of caution. History will tell the tale with certainly, but that's in the future....

The CDC (which I think we can rely upon as a trusted source of information) estimates that for the Influenza A and B strains, for which we have vaccinations available... globally there have been 38,000,000 to 54,000,000 infections to date in the 2019-2020 flu season, with between 23,000 and 59,000 deaths. And historically, that's not an abnormal... or even high... count, looking back over past seasons. Here's the CDC article link I'm referring to: Preliminary In-Season 2019-2020 Flu Burden Estimates

Which means that from a numbers perspective, the annual Influenza outbreak is a much higher risk for infection and mortality than COVID-19. It would also appear that the main reason COVID-19 has been hyped so much is because its new and not completely understood. So it's the wildcard factor that has various health agencies concerned. They don't know what they don't know. Here's an article that speaks to that aspect of things: How does the new coronavirus compare with the flu?

So hang tough, look out for yourselves and your families, and my sincere condoloences to anyone who has lost a friend or loved one due to either Influenza or COVID-19. Just yesterday, we had a death in the assisted living complex literally three blocks from where I live. A lady in her 80's. Seven others in the complex have tested positive... 6 residents and 1 care worker. It is currently believed the infection was community spread. And the residents live right next to and frequently walk to a small shopping district with a drug store, medical offices, restaurants, coffee shops and a supermarket. So yes, it's literally hitting close to home, and I intend on avoiding any of those facilities until this blows over.

Be careful out there...

I think comparing covid-19 to an influenza model is not correct. Covid 19 leads to much more severe symptoms and is much more contagious. Cold and flu season is with us and rarely do we have loved ones or do we hear about famous people dying from it. My girlfriend is an ICU nurse in the Bay Area and she never sees somebody with the flu in ICU. Now her 10 bed ICU is full of covid-19 patients. If you get into a car accident or have a heart attack God help you because they got nowhere to put you. And this is in California and we've been shut down for 2 weeks we flatten the Curve and the hospitals are right on the verge. But I think we're going to be okay we just need to lock it down for 60 days and then when it's done we get out and we kick but like Americans always do. I've said many times I wish the world would stop so I could catch up to it and now we've all got that opportunity not just to catch up at to get ahead to be ready for what's coming. This stuff about getting back on Easter is pure ignorance. We're going to bite the bullet and we'll beat this like we beat everything. And we'll all come out okay in the end. I got no tolerance for negative talk or misinformation, let's just buckle down.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Probably next year, there will be a component available for an annual flu shot, and this will subside to a level not unlike the traditional flues. Winter is starting south of the equator, it will still be bad in those regions this year with the likelyhood of its return to northern latitudes next autumn and winter. Preparation, it's all about preparation.

Steve.
Indeed. These things are known come and go in waves, usually over a 18-month period.

Dr. Fauci is keeping a close eye on global statistics. He said yesterday he is seeing COVID-19 starting to spike up on the Southern Hemisphere as they are now entering their winter. Which suggests to him we could get hit with another wave by fall, as we cycle into our winter again.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
A solution to depression in this day and age is to stay off the interwebs...kinda stuck with that one at the moment...luckily(?) I'm still working full (over) time. But I try and stay away from the news - simply because it's all painted as doom and gloom (no @@@@, Sherlock!). You do have to find things to actually do. Hey, how about setting a new 'planking' record?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
... This morning one fellow owner in France wrote under one of my photos:
“Unfortunately, we are not allowed to drive our 124 any longer; lockdowns are now in place in Europe. ..."
What the actual @@@@?! What the xxxx has that got to do with anything?!

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
You could have got it cheaper on WISH.........!!! I'm still awaiting my gardening/garage Abarth jacket....,by the way, you will not get in your Spider wearing that, and...it's the wrong colour for your car...just saying 💋 Cheers
ron

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yep!! LA mayor Garcetti has loosened liquor laws and is now allowing alcohol to be delivered with meals from restaurants. I guess liquor is essential. 🍾😂

Dan
You bet it is. city of Los Angeles has four million people. You can assume there are at least a hundred to 200,000 alcoholics. Deny them their alcohol and and between 10 to 20% of them will end up in an emergency room because of their alcohol withdrawal symptoms. So give the people their alcohol and their drugs while this is going on, because we don't need them at the hospital.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
...I guess liquor is essential. 🍾😂

Dan
"Dad, dad, dad, dad, dad, dad, dad, dad, dad......."

Liquor is absolutely essential right now...:)

41 - 60 of 109 Posts