Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. Wanted to ask about cleaning products and tips when self detailing my classica. I don’t have anything at the moment since I always took my old car to an auto wash. Looking to pick up quality wash and interior cleaner, as well as maybe some little brushes to clean the buttons and such. Any tips on cleaning the soft top? I have noticed hand prints where I push it open more than any other dirty areas. Any recommendations or tips would be appreciated. Things available on Amazon would be preferred.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Hi and Welcome...Glad you posted here....before you visit that autowash facility. The 124 Spider is a tough, well behaved character with lots of spirit, but.....it will not tolerate abuse (nor should it), "The Brick" top end of engine unit requires lubricating on a regular basis by running the engine (see 124 Spider Basic ownership Rules...some of" thread and the paintwork is...how shall I put it..."Delicate". Some would say thin, rubbish, crap but it's just the new way so you have to be a bit careful in how you treat it, which brings me to..."Autoglym" products, Available in 45 COUNTRIES, USA since 2010. We all have our favorites of course like "Mer" (leaves a white powder residue) and some cheaper supermarket brands that may or may not work but with the 124 Spider paint "I would ONLY" use Quality stuff, follow the guidelines for application and enjoy the results. As you do not usually detail your car yourself maybe a reminder......warm plain water wash off the surface filth, warm soapy water gentle wash (I always wash/polish in one direction to avoid swirls in paintwork), proper fresh water rinse, then dry off before polish. Use those fancy micro cloth things rather than a soft rag and again one direct application and polish. NEVER in direct sunlight and don't attempt the whole car with application in one go as it will dry quickly and you will then have to apply some serious pressure to get it off. Autoglym (and others) do the whole range, soft top included and it stands out.
I use to do the "Car Show" circuits for many years with my MG's and Fords winning many prizes after taking advice from the old hands, who knew. The one area I just use soapy water on though is the alloys, tried the very expensive, highly recommended "Wonder Wheels" in my opinion Cr*p! But should you have any TAR problems... if they sell it in the USA..."GTECHNIQ W7" (Amazon). One of THE BEST products to buy, especially for our delicate 124 Spider, it works ! Leather care quarterly (depending on climate) keeps your leather supple (no cracking), products for rubber / plastic hoses and fittings.....all help your vehicles components look better and last longer and finally ( I know)...Under the Spider...I went under mine as soon as I got it home and was surprised to see large areas untreated with an underseal product, which should be done from new, certainly within the first year...old engine oil annually to fancy sealants, anything within reason rather than nothing and don't forget your glass as a quality product will help avoid scratching it........Cheers
ron

Cheers
ron

Reactions: SailCat

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hello all. Wanted to ask about cleaning products and tips when self detailing my classica. I don’t have anything at the moment since I always took my old car to an auto wash. Looking to pick up quality wash and interior cleaner, as well as maybe some little brushes to clean the buttons and such. Any tips on cleaning the soft top? I have noticed hand prints where I push it open more than any other dirty areas. Any recommendations or tips would be appreciated. Things available on Amazon would be preferred.
Autoglym Aquawax is my go to for the Spider.

Just got another car detailed by a pro, ending up with a ceramic coating, which beads the rain, lots here in Scotland, and has made subsequent washing even easier.

You could go that route initially, and save on product and time washing thereafter?

·
Premium Member
2019 A124 Manual
132 Posts
Thankfully you have a few really good options to choose from and what has been working well for me so far is pairing all these great cleaning products with the appropriate protection just to make it easier the next time I clean and also help keep everything looking new.
A good clay bar for the paint has been an invaluable tool for me as well, and I've even gone as far as putting a couple coats of wax on the underside of the trunk, door jambs and hood just to make it easier when I clean these painted areas.
I also keep a small and well secured detailing kit in the trunk just in case something happens on the road, luck favors the prepared!

·
Registered
533 Posts
First, regardless of or maybe in spite of any and all recommendations you might get you're more than likely gonna end up using what actually works for you. And let's be honest, no matter how good any product may or may not be if it's not readily available to you here is the states at a reasonable price then .........
Save you $$$$. Ceramic and graphene coatings sound good but in the long run their true value is questionable. I say this from experience having spent the $$$$ to have my truck ceramic coated. If I had a do over I'd pass.

What color is your car? My Abarth is black (I also use the same on my red Chevrolet truck) so here's a quick list:
Turtle Wax Jet Black, used every 5th or 6th detailing, apply w/ microfiber applicator, buff with microfiber towel
3D Final Touch #403 (Detailing Wax), easy to use and used often, available on Amazon, apply w/ microfiber applicator, buff with microfiber towel
Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Car Wax, easy to use, excellent cleaning, adds paste wax protection, apply w/ microfiber applicator, buff with microfiber towel
Nu Finish Scratch Doctor (scratch remover), be patient, light/moderate pressure, it works
Special Surfaces S100 Cleaner/Polish (for motorcycles), for plastics but works well on all surfaces
Bugslide (again a motorcycle related product), take the bugs off while they're fresh, pricey but it works well
Black Magic Tire Wet
Meguiar's Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner/Protectant, used regularly on leather seats and interior vinyl trim
Dust and vacuum regularly like your home
Griot's Garage 11408 Cotton Car Duster, available on Amazon, used almost daily
A few old tooth brushes, a supply of tooth picks, a couple of good/small paint brushes
Some lighter fluid and/or mineral spirits for spot cleaning tough/greasy spots
Oops! Almost forgot.
For the top I use the RaggTop Brazilian Hardwood Nylex Bristled cleaning brush when washing my car and I treat the top with RaggTop Convertible top Treatment for Cloth Tops, both available on Amazon. Vacuum regularly/often

Stay away from mechanical car washes!

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
348 Posts
Spend some time watching the AmmoNYC youtube channel and your car wash skills will be transformed. For the top, I have bought the Raggtop brand kit, but haven't had a chance to apply the treatment yet (too damn busy)...

Other than that I stick to Meguiars brand and it covers most of my needs. Used the Hybrid Ceramic line of products recently and it has held up very well to lots of rain recently.

·
Registered
2019 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
459 Posts
I use Chemical Guys products. Have been thrilled with their performance. As for the soft top, I use Chemical Guys soft top cleaner and sealer (2 step kit). I use a soft circular brush to scrub the top. Works like a charm.

After cleaning my paint, I have been consistently using ShineArmor Fortify (spray on ceramic coat). Makes the paint look amazing.

Reactions: 2018 Fiat 124

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am strictly an autoglym man when it comes to car cleaning chemicals - all of their products are great in my experience, especially their soft-top cleaner

·
Registered
87 Posts
First, regardless of or maybe in spite of any and all recommendations you might get you're more than likely gonna end up using what actually works for you. And let's be honest, no matter how good any product may or may not be if it's not readily available to you here is the states at a reasonable price then .........
Save you $$$$. Ceramic and graphene coatings sound good but in the long run their true value is questionable. I say this from experience having spent the $$$$ to have my truck ceramic coated. If I had a do over I'd pass.

What color is your car? My Abarth is black (I also use the same on my red Chevrolet truck) so here's a quick list:
Turtle Wax Jet Black, used every 5th or 6th detailing, apply w/ microfiber applicator, buff with microfiber towel
3D Final Touch #403 (Detailing Wax), easy to use and used often, available on Amazon, apply w/ microfiber applicator, buff with microfiber towel
Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Car Wax, easy to use, excellent cleaning, adds paste wax protection, apply w/ microfiber applicator, buff with microfiber towel
Nu Finish Scratch Doctor (scratch remover), be patient, light/moderate pressure, it works
Special Surfaces S100 Cleaner/Polish (for motorcycles), for plastics but works well on all surfaces
Bugslide (again a motorcycle related product), take the bugs off while they're fresh, pricey but it works well
Black Magic Tire Wet
Meguiar's Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner/Protectant, used regularly on leather seats and interior vinyl trim
Dust and vacuum regularly like your home
Griot's Garage 11408 Cotton Car Duster, available on Amazon, used almost daily
A few old tooth brushes, a supply of tooth picks, a couple of good/small paint brushes
Some lighter fluid and/or mineral spirits for spot cleaning tough/greasy spots
Oops! Almost forgot.
For the top I use the RaggTop Brazilian Hardwood Nylex Bristled cleaning brush when washing my car and I treat the top with RaggTop Convertible top Treatment for Cloth Tops, both available on Amazon. Vacuum regularly/often

Stay away from mechanical car washes!

View attachment 85612
I have a Black 2017 Abarth and the way that you care for your car is a no brainer, common sense method and best know products, I do the same and it works well. Thanks for giving others a better way.

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Lusso Red Top Edition, Automatic, Fashion Gray, Ivory Interior, Bordeaux Top
1,631 Posts
After ceramic coating, my detailer gave me tips to buy my car care towels and applicators from Detail-division.com. I am absolutely impressed with the Kl!n Due drying towels and Kl!n dual wash mitt. Absolutely excellent. Also picked up some Gtechniq ceramic wash and top coat from Amazon.

There was a personal note from the owner of Detail Division, along with a nice-quality sticker.

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
253 Posts
I use The Last Coat products on our 124s with great results. In big car shows since we switched to the Last Coat, we have 2 2nd in Class and 1 Best in Class, so other people must think it makes our cars look good, too.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
The AmmoNYC YouTube channel is excellent. Highly recommended.

I recommend starting off by buying products from a proven product line like Meguiar’s or Griot’s. Research the differences between the products. Get a clay bar, a good wax, and microfiber towels.

·
Registered
265 Posts
We very recently added Chemical Guys products and have started using them with great success. We have everything listed at MAP so great prices with us.

+1 @WMBL we have used AmmoNYC's products and watched many of his videos. Amazing guy with great products and great info. We don't sell his stuff, but can't recommend him enough.

·
Registered
334 Posts
We very recently added Chemical Guys products and have started using them with great success. We have everything listed at MAP so great prices with us.

+1 @WMBL we have used AmmoNYC's products and watched many of his videos. Amazing guy with great products and great info. We don't sell his stuff, but can't recommend him enough.
I’ve been using Chemical Guys products for years, great products, great results, their online tutorials are very informative.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts