Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I admit it was a bit chilly washing the car at 7C/44F; my fingers were aching after 20 minutes or so. But it was worth the short-term pain.

• Haha
Reactions: 17221

·
Read Only
1,692 Posts
Here’s my ‘medicine cupboard’, 95% of it is Chemical Guy product, but I have also collected others as well. I find great calm in detailing all of our cars and this one in particular.
That's a not-insignificant investment in car care right there! Chemical opulence! :cool:(y)

·
Registered
438 Posts
It’s a few days old this thread, but I wanted to tell you about a product I purchased to try to get to grips with the Heritage Stripe. It’s difficult to detail that black bonnet (hood) and boot (trunk), but I purchased these and the results are fantastic, I’m very happy. Essentially, you simply clean the surface and then apply the Jet Seal, no marks, a Matt sheen, perfect!
Tin Beverage can Aluminum can Automotive tire Tin can

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I haven’t had any issues maintaining the Heritage Stripe.

I normally wash the car with Meguiar’s Gold Class wash and then dry it with a The Absorber synthetic chamois and I’m done. It works like a charm.

Over the past 33 months, I have applied Klasse paint sealant glaze twice, and Meguiar’s spray-on detailer 2 or 3 times and it’s worked well. But overall I find that simply washing and drying the car is enough for the Stripe.

I have avoided applying wax, though. The residue wax leaves behind is unlikely to work well with the matte finish.

Reactions: Walshy6677

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Reactions: Walshy6677

·
Registered
438 Posts
I’ve been using this synthetic chamois for years on a multitude of cars I’ve owned: it works well, is easy to use, wash and store, and lasts a very long time. I’m only on my second one in 15 years.

After you dry the car, it works great wiping the interior clean, too.

Amazon.com: CleanTools 10067 Absorber Synthetic Drying Towel, 27-Inch x 17-Inch, 1 Sided Texture, 2-Pack : Automotive

View attachment 89934
Yes, I’ve used these for years, though not on my ‘pride and joy’ she gets special treatment when washed.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I use The Last Coat products. The Weekend Warrior bundle is a good starting point. GO2 Waterless Wash is amazingly good to use for touchups on the go afterwards. The Weekend Warrior bundle may look a bit pricey, but you use very little per application and it produces outstanding results if you do it the way they tell you to.

Itsy needs cleaning right now. I will take some before and after pics tomorrow using the GO2 Waterless Wash and you can see how good it is, as well as how shiny Itsy is from the Weekend Warrior package about 5 months after I last applied it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I’m struggling with the Heritage stripe, I just can’t seem to get it ‘the way I want it’. I didn’t buy the car new and so don’t know what it is supposed to look like, Matt or satin. I have tried applications for both. I know the subject is well covered, but what are people using on this part of the car? Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
2019 Abarth 124 Rally Tribute Tribute
30 Posts
As @Pancetta stated you can really go down a rabbit hole with detailing products. I have used many products over the years on the 30+ vehicles I have owned.
@Packetjones you need to set some goals as to what you are after. If you just want protection and shine every 3-6 months, then any of the products listed in this thread will work. I have been a loyal Zaino Brothers buyer since 1999 when they were endorsed by the Corvette Club of America at that time. It has outstanding shine, but protection is lacking in today's world of glass coatings and other protection products. I have been asked many times whether I have my cars professionally detailed and I say yes, by me. :) That is the quality of the Zaino products.

I personally went down a rabbit hole a few month's ago when I discovered Esoteric Car Care Easy to use auto detail products and how-to videos | ESOTERIC Car Care . They have published tons of videos on how to detail your car on their Youtube channel at ESOTERIC - YouTube .

They use the products they sell on their client's cars. This is where you start learning about levels of clarity and reflectivity in high end detailing.

There are lots of ceramic or glass coatings on the market. A lot of them are not as advertised or proper surface preparation was not completed for good bonding. I can tell you that I bought the Kamikaze Rim Coat kit from Esoteric and was blown away with the results. The wheels are now so incredibly slick that cleanup is quick and much easier. This is a must-have with white wheels.

I have a very long wish list of products to buy from Esoteric over coming months as I prep for upcoming car shows in the spring.

So to summarize, if you want short to medium term shine and protection, pick up some of the products previously mentioned in this thread at your local auto parts store. If you want to step up to award winning finishes of shine, I recommend Zaino. If you want the absolute best products on the market, then watch a ton of videos at Esoteric and choose one of the great products they sell.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Using Chemical Guys product, clay bar, polish and wax (though with Turtlewax Graphene), end result is the best I have ever had. Just doing Heritage stripe now.
Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Car

41 - 54 of 54 Posts