Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was able to get out in my "new to me" '17 Abarth and put it through it's paces. It only just ticked over 6k miles. The previous 2 owners didn't drive it much and definitely didn't get anything hot, as I could smell plastic burning smell after a while. Anyway, I was in sport mode and behind traffic going up a hill at about 35-40 mph at 2500 ish rpms. The car shuttered a few times as if it were missing. Was this the oem diverter valve cutting out the boost? Thanks in advance!

·
Vendor
3,236 Posts
I can't tell from your description if it cut boost, but the OEM diverter does cause a hesitation sometimes, although it's very minor. I'm more worried about the plastic burning smell. That's not normal. Does it have any extra heat shielding, like a turbo blanket? Those usually smell for a little while and since it's low mileage, that could be it.

Greg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't tell from your description if it cut boost, but the OEM diverter does cause a hesitation sometimes, although it's very minor. I'm more worried about the plastic burning smell. That's not normal. Does it have any extra heat shielding, like a turbo blanket? Those usually smell for a little while and since it's low mileage, that could be it.

Greg
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the response. Yes it was very subtle hesitation, I have ASIN 6spd AT. It felt a bit like a boost or fuel cut would or a misfire. It was at lower RPM and under load as I was going up hill at about 1/3 or less throttle. I'm assuming it was the DV. Have the GFB on its way.
As for the smell, I was driving it quite hard, not abusively, professionally hard. It smelled like it was hot for the first time. No turbo blanket yet.... Probably install it today actually. No smoke or fire....

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed the GFB DV+ this morning. Smoothed out the turbo and I tried multiple times to duplicate the hesitation and it is fixed.

I'm kinda confused how the GFB works when the plunger doesn't contact the piston directly.. anyway no big deal cause it works and no CEL.

I also installed the PTP turbo blanket. Big difference in the engine bay regarding temps and the only smell was the blanket braking in.

@ Greg Thank you for your help. I'll be contacting you for a dual catch can set up in the near future.

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update,

Today I got a check engine light. Used my general scan tool and saw P1044 and P1064 and a third one that I can't recall the # but is cyl #4 misfire. Research shows these to mean the oil solenoid is stuck or not working...
I go to have a look at the solenoids to make sure they are plugged in.. and I find a piece of foam tucked in behind it. I'm thinking this isn't good. As I just bought this car.... Upon further inspection with a light, the connector on the #4 cyl solenoid is cracked. I'm assuming the foam was to hold it in place? Ugh! This explains why the vehicle had two owners and only 6k miles.

My question, is if I'm stuck with the repair cost, as these are not serviceable, what am I looking at for a full brick replacement?

Thanks in advance for the info.... I'll add pictures tomorrow. Really bummed. But I figured out what the "miss" was. Indeed it was a miss.

Greg "Lefty"

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Can you post a pic of what is cracked? Since I'm new to the 124 (with limited engine knowledge in general) not sure what you are referring to! Trying to learn. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts