Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It will return in coupe and convertible, with the 2.3T EcoBoost and 5.0 V8, in manual and automatic.

Overall I like the new exterior styling much better than the outgoing design. I never really warmed up to the 2015-2023 styling. It looked too much like a Ford Fusion.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle Grille

Was about time Ford ditched the retro interior; the new interior looks thoroughly modern. Having said that, those screens are way too big.

The rear seats remain useless.

What do y’all think?

· Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
You’re right. Too much screen. Convert the useless back seats into a fold-down configuration.
But I still don’t want one!
Best regards
Pete

· Registered
453 Posts
It will return in coupe and convertible, with the 2.3T EcoBoost and 5.0 V8, in manual and automatic.

Overall I like the new exterior styling much better than the outgoing design. I never really warmed up to the 2015-2023 styling. It looked too much like a Ford Fusion.
View attachment 95036
View attachment 95037
View attachment 95039

View attachment 95038

Was about time Ford ditched the retro interior; the new interior looks thoroughly modern. Having said that, those screens are way too big.

The rear seats remain useless.

What do y’all think?
OK OK I get to gloat here, I work for a company that engineers and designs exterior lighting for a many OEMs anyways I worked on the design team designing.these headlamps. I take great pride in this vehicle and I think it’s a nice looking lamp.

· Registered
2,785 Posts
Meh-stang. Too big. Very busy in places. Looks better from the rear, IMO. Mega screen not in keeping. I'm still not a fan of the "stuck on tablet" look. The headlamps and taillamps are fabulous.

· Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK OK I get to gloat here, I work for a company that engineers and designs exterior lighting for a many OEMs anyways I worked on the design team designing.these headlamps. I take great pride in this vehicle and I think it’s a nice looking lamp.
I agree! Job well done!

Reactions: Steele

· Registered
600 Posts
When Ford reinvented the Mustang again in 2005 the redesign was wonderful, and since then its been an evolution of that 2005 makeover. I drove every single model year of the Mustang GT convertible from 2005 to 2018 ( thank you Budget Rentals) and I always enjoyed the changes the Ford engineers made each year.
In 2017 , I was driving a beautiful 2018 graphite gray mustang gt convertible around on a sunny Sunday afternoon, exploring car dealership lots when lo and behold there, on a dodge dealer lot , were three beautiful , small two seater convertible roadsters with no obvious identifiable markings. I had met the ravishing italian beauty of the Fiat 124 Spider Abarth.
I never drove a Mustang again.

· Registered
453 Posts
When Ford reinvented the Mustang again in 2005 the redesign was wonderful, and since then its been an evolution of that 2005 makeover. I drove every single model year of the Mustang GT convertible from 2005 to 2018 ( thank you Budget Rentals) and I always enjoyed the changes the Ford engineers made each year.
In 2017 , I was driving a beautiful 2018 graphite gray mustang gt convertible around on a sunny Sunday afternoon, exploring car dealership lots when lo and behold there, on a dodge dealer lot , were three beautiful , small two seater convertible roadsters with no obvious identifiable markings. I had met the ravishing italian beauty of the Fiat 124 Spider Abarth.
I never drove a Mustang again.
I’m more of a European car guy that I am of American muscle car guy

· Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Fiat 124 Spider Abarth is a one of a kind car, rarely seen.
The Ford Mustang isnt just a dime a dozen car, its a dime a thousand car.
Treasure your 124 Spider. Its unique.
Agreed. But owning a Spider is driving into a dead-end street. I like to keep my options open.

I owned two Dodge Challengers before; they were huge but were still fun and turned lots of heads.

I too think the 2005-2014 Mustang styling was a homerun. I test drove 2009-2014 Mustang GTs several times over the years, but I just couldn’t get over how crudely it was built. The interior materials, and the fit-and-finish were straight out of the 1990s. The convertible’s quarter panels left such a huge gap when you lowered the top that you could drop a small baby in it. When the current Mustang came out in 2014, the assembly quality improved significantly, but didn’t care for the new styling one bit; particularly the front.

This new Mustang addresses my issues with the exterior styling, and the interior finally looks like it belongs in this century. But I still have no use for a rear seat; especially one that is as useless as Mustang’s. If I’m going to get a rear seat, give me one I can use, like that in Challenger; otherwise don’t give me a back seat at all.

And that screen is just HUUUUGE!

· Registered
178 Posts
I like it, but owning it long-term would worry me. The gauges are one big computer screen. Once that thing goes out, it seems like it'll be expensive. But then again I'm old school. I prefer manual roll-up windows.

· Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol I hear you on the useless rear seats but in order to keep the GT moniker, rear seats are required to keep it a Grand Touring automobile.
I doubt Ford gives a hoot about the meaning of “GT.”

Most likely, the rear seat is there mostly to circumvent stiff taxes in overseas markets.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts