Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there are any differences between the manual transmissions fitted to the standard 124 spider and the Abarth in the UK?
I am considering a remap for the Fiat Spider that I pick up tomorrow as I originally wanted an Abarth but couldn't live with the exhaust fitted to UK Abarth models. The only concern being where the clutch and gearbox on the Fiat would cope with the increased torque?

Apologies if this has already been answered previously

·
Registered
21 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the transmissions are the same. In some markets (eg; US) the Fiat and Abarth have the same power. In other markets (eg;UK) the Fiat is throttled by software - which is why it’s comparatively easy to get the UK Fiat back up to Abarth power levels.
Where are you thinking of getting the re-map done? I’m planning on getting mine done in the spring after it’s had it’s first annual service.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question. I'm new to Fiat having been a long time fan of the VW brand. Having done the briefest of research, the usual VW tuning suspects such as Revo and Blufin (Superchips) don't offer a remap for Fiat/124s. So far I think the favourite is looking like Celtic Tuning as they seem to have a good reputation, but I would be open to suggestions/recommendations from Spider owners. From what I can see the remap has to be done the old fashioned way via the physical opening of the ECU rather than via the OBD port which is a shame

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Doug that is good news. Is there a tuning firm you would recommend?

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Very late posting this but should anyone still be at the research end of remap/tune....."Quantum" are supposed to be "the dogs........" according to many, they have outlets across the UK, feedback from reviews sorts any problems apparently and the cost is around £240 ish with a free return to original stored set up if required. Bodmin, Cornwall is my local ish outlet where they have a 100% record of happy bunnies. I have considered it myself but as I do not track my Spider and am happy with the performance gained from the mods I fitted have decided to leave it alone. I think I have 152 hp approx, however....there is a newbie called JayTee124 just joined and have a youtube channel (I think) who is up to 195 approx, maybe worth checking him out, Cheers
ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts