Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this product because my Spider 124 turbo does not have a turbo boost gauge. I installed this little gadget yesterday. Plugs into the OBD port to the vehicle's computer give real-time information in a snazzy format. By far the best digital gauge I've seen. For under $50 this is worth the money, not only does it give you real-time values but it is an OBDII code reader and code eraser. I am surprised by how much information this little gauge showed. Besides the usual water temps, it was able to pull the oil pressure and oil temps from my Spider. The colors are very bright and easy to see in all conditions. The cable included is long and flat so it's easy to reroute as well. It can also be mounted upside down as needed. If there are any negatives - not sure if the build quality is worth $50 but I’m also pretty happy with it because of how many different screens there are.

It looks awesome on your car, it reads the temperature, RPMs, everything works great, even the shift alarm works perfect, it tells you exactly when you need to shift gear (you can customize it) it's working perfectly, very responsive. I was unsure to buy it but it’s worth the money, even the compass works perfectly.
There are more screens provided than advertised. The device easily picked up GPS satellites and seemed to be quite accurate. The screen is viewable in bright sunlight. With only 3 buttons, getting the settings right is somewhat of a challenge and the instruction manual has extraordinarily small typing. That said, for the price and the ability to read OBD as well as have real-time vehicle insight, this is a great little device.

Monitors:
Speed; water/oil temperature; voltage; fuel consumption; RPM; mileage; driving time/direction; quantity of satellites; altitude; time; turbine pressure; acceleration test; brake test; data flow; clear the fault code; temperature switch/degree Fahrenheit to C.

Easy to set up the menu functions
You can adjust the speed if the default value is different from the dashboard;
The speed unit is also in KMH, you can change it to MPH if you want.
There are 12-hour system and 24-hour system of time display
You can set the turbo unit to the PSI or BAR, also clean OBD2 code errors.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

Eyewear Musical instrument Audio equipment Office supplies Guitar

Input device Camera accessory Gadget Peripheral Font

Light Automotive design Speedometer Vehicle Gauge

Product Automotive tire Font Wheel Motor vehicle

Product Font Screenshot Electric blue Circle

Light Product Font Screenshot Speedometer

PIDS are the serial data that can be accessed from the vehicle's computer. PIDS include:

Status of the OBD II System Component Monitors
(Ready or Complete, or Not Ready or Incomplete)
Live Sensor Data
(Oxygen sensor rich/lean indication, coolant temperature, MAP value, TPS value, vehicle speed, mass airflow, ambient temperature, engine rpm, etc.)
Status of Switches or Devices
(cruise control on/off. brake pedal switches on/off. TCC engaged/disengaged, etc.)
Long and Short Term Fuel Trim, O2 sensor cross counts, injector duration.

Reactions: kfishdoctor

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Scorpius, if you're car is stock, you can read the OBDII, but if you have stage-1-2-3 or PIggy Back, the reading will be incorrect if not mistaken.
I have the boost gage and I connected in one the hoses in the engine compartement.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scorpius, if you're car is stock, you can read the OBDII, but if you have stage-1-2-3 or PIggy Back, the reading will be incorrect if not mistaken.
I have the boost gage and I connected in one the hoses in the engine compartement.
So far my car is stock, I am thinking to work in the future with Tork Motorsports.

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
342 Posts
Keep in mind, obd2 cannot report more than 22psi boost. It's a design limit. So if you are tuned just be aware you won't see your peak boost on this gauge. There are ways to calculate it using the map sensor data also, but these kind of gauges don't do that and it's less accurate.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Keep in mind, obd2 cannot report more than 22psi boost. It's a design limit. So if you are tuned just be aware you won't see your peak boost on this gauge. There are ways to calculate it using the map sensor data also, but these kind of gauges don't do that and it's less accurate.
Even if I will lose peak boost reading this device offers other impressive readings like the oil pressure and oil temps. A big plus it offers OBD-II On-Board Diagnostic System Information. You can read and reset error codes.

Azure Font Material property Circle Technology

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
342 Posts
Not saying you shouldn't use it, was just letting you know about that limitation. I use a similar device myself.

You can see it in the pic below.

The photo below I took because it was so odd that the intake temp was LOWER than the ambient temp on the dash. However that's mostly because the ambient dash gauge on the 124 is weird in how slowly it updates after starting the car.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Speedometer Odometer

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Scorpius (and everyone else). I picked up one of these the other day and it is a pretty neat little gadget, however, my primary purpose was to see the turbo boost levels and the device doesn't seem to register it. As far as I can tell everything else reads pretty much correctly, but boost level just sits at -0.7 with no changes during driving. Since there is absolutely no manufacturer support that I can find I was wondering if anyone might have suggestions. Does the boost on the spider only kick in under flat out hard driving conditions? (I would assume not) To my knowledge I do not have a tune installed but I bought the car used and the previous owner did make some mods so I'm not 100% certain.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought this product because my Spider 124 turbo does not have a turbo boost gauge. I installed this little gadget yesterday. Plugs into the OBD port to the vehicle's computer give real-time information in a snazzy format. By far the best digital gauge I've seen. For under $50 this is worth the money, not only does it give you real-time values but it is an OBDII code reader and code eraser. I am surprised by how much information this little gauge showed. Besides the usual water temps, it was able to pull the oil pressure and oil temps from my Spider. The colors are very bright and easy to see in all conditions. The cable included is long and flat so it's easy to reroute as well. It can also be mounted upside down as needed. If there are any negatives - not sure if the build quality is worth $50 but I’m also pretty happy with it because of how many different screens there are.

It looks awesome on your car, it reads the temperature, RPMs, everything works great, even the shift alarm works perfect, it tells you exactly when you need to shift gear (you can customize it) it's working perfectly, very responsive. I was unsure to buy it but it’s worth the money, even the compass works perfectly.
There are more screens provided than advertised. The device easily picked up GPS satellites and seemed to be quite accurate. The screen is viewable in bright sunlight. With only 3 buttons, getting the settings right is somewhat of a challenge and the instruction manual has extraordinarily small typing. That said, for the price and the ability to read OBD as well as have real-time vehicle insight, this is a great little device.

Monitors:
Speed; water/oil temperature; voltage; fuel consumption; RPM; mileage; driving time/direction; quantity of satellites; altitude; time; turbine pressure; acceleration test; brake test; data flow; clear the fault code; temperature switch/degree Fahrenheit to C.

Easy to set up the menu functions
You can adjust the speed if the default value is different from the dashboard;
The speed unit is also in KMH, you can change it to MPH if you want.
There are 12-hour system and 24-hour system of time display
You can set the turbo unit to the PSI or BAR, also clean OBD2 code errors.

View attachment 88217

View attachment 88223

View attachment 88221

View attachment 88218

View attachment 88219

View attachment 88220

View attachment 88222

PIDS are the serial data that can be accessed from the vehicle's computer. PIDS include:

Status of the OBD II System Component Monitors
(Ready or Complete, or Not Ready or Incomplete)
Live Sensor Data
(Oxygen sensor rich/lean indication, coolant temperature, MAP value, TPS value, vehicle speed, mass airflow, ambient temperature, engine rpm, etc.)
Status of Switches or Devices
(cruise control on/off. brake pedal switches on/off. TCC engaged/disengaged, etc.)
Long and Short Term Fuel Trim, O2 sensor cross counts, injector duration.

You mention you can read oil pressure. How?
The engines do not come standard with an oil pressure sensor.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know that some members have the turbo boost levels gauge showing correct values.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi, just thought I would follow up. I researched and read somewhere that the boost level of the OBD attached gauges was affected by ambient air pressure so sometimes they would not read right with significant changes in elevation. I did a factory reset on the unit and it works perfectly now. I don't know if it was a software glitch or actually did need to be recalibrated but the factory reset did the trick!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, just thought I would follow up. I researched and read somewhere that the boost level of the OBD attached gauges was affected by ambient air pressure so sometimes they would not read right with significant changes in elevation. I did a factory reset on the unit and it works perfectly now. I don't know if it was a software glitch or actually did need to be recalibrated but the factory reset did the trick!
Thanks for the update. This pretty neat little gadget offers a lot of features for the buck.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Scorpius, any chance you could answer my above question re how you have been able to read oil pressure, please?
Johny I put my Spider in the storage. Let me check in a few days. As far as I can recall the gauge shows only oil temperature.

·
Registered
2019 Abarth
13 Posts
I can confirm it DOES NOT show oil pressure, only oil temperature. Kind of the main reason I bought it, so was a bit dissapointed, however still a cool gadget with helpful info and it looks great as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts