Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just don't like it as much as regular mode. It is not as smooth or predictable, which is important to me for day to day driving. I previously had a Classica, but only for about 1,500 miles. I have about 1,200 now on my Abarth and have spent time switching between the two modes. I am moderately smooth with it now after practice, but I just don't like it. Maybe it is great on the track, but realistically, the car would need all kinds of mods to be track ready. This is a street car first and foremost. Anyway, I have searched, and most Abarth owners seem to love it.

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
521 Posts
While I enjoy my Abarth Spider in regular mode, it really comes alive in sport mode and even more so with the Seletron Chipbox in place. I find it equally easy to drive in regular or sport mode and prefer the increased performance of sport mode using it except for when the blue low coolant temperature light is on.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Automatic
60 Posts
I hate to differ with you RobC2, but I really like "Sport" mode. I would not have owned an automatic transmission in a car like this a number of years ago, and poked fun at those who did. But live and learn, my legs are now "junk" and I find that this automatic transmission shifts smoother and the shifts are finger snap quick (as are many automatics on the market today). And, when in "Sport" mode, the shift points are almost identical to when I would shift were I driving a manual. Plus, as AbarthEsq states "it really comes alive"!
To each his own, you have a wonderful car, and I think enjoy it no matter which mode you decide YOU like better! s.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
I can't speak to how Sport Mode functions in an AT, but I love it with my MT Abarth. Then again, I've also done a few upgrades and am running a modified EC tune on the vehicle, so my start up mode is the same as yours (the vehicle defaults to Sport Mode being disabled upon startup), and my Phase 2 tune is now tied to my Sport Mode.

In your case, since you don't like how it behaves in Sport Mode (yet), you're in luck because you'll never experience it unless you purposely chooes to do so. But maybe give it a bit more of a chance and see how you get used to it.

RobC2, from what you wrote, I get the feeling you're driving a MT Abarth as well, and yes, it does have very different shift points between the Standard and Sport Mode. But with a bit more practice, you'll find it pretty easy to switch back and forth between the two. And once you're used to driving in Sport Mode, unless you're on a mission to achieve optimum fuel economy, you're going to enjoy the additioanal spirit Sport Mode brings to the vehicle's behaviour. It does become a bit of a different beast, and with time, I strongly suspect you'll come to enjoy letting the beast out of the cage just like the rest of us. :)

·
Premium Member
2017 Abarth
164 Posts
smooth or predictable, which is important to me for day to day driving [...] realistically, the car would need all kinds of mods to be track ready. This is a street car first and foremost.
Agreed, I think the default is correct for around town most of the time. But between daily-driver and track/autocross there are the roads and circumstances this car's design seems to have been optimized for; I do enjoy sport mode there. Or at least appreciate having the choice.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Agreed, I think the default is correct for around town most of the time. But between daily-driver and track/autocross there are the roads and circumstances this car's design seems to have been optimized for; I do enjoy sport mode there. Or at least appreciate having the choice.
Like many things, it's very subjective. I drive mine in sport mode mostly when driving around town, and swtich back to regular for highway driving. At least it provides the option to suit each of our own driving preferences.

TBH, I wish it was possible to choose which mode it defaulted to on start up. A long time ago, there was "this guy" here on the forum that claimed he'd made a little electronic gizmo that would fit between the sport mode console switch and the cable it plugs into, allowing the vehicle to start in Sport Mode. Then he fished around a bit to see what people were willing to pay for it. Then there was talk of production and sales... and then radio silence. A shame really, as it would theoreticallly have been an easy install. But time marches on, and I've gotten used to the process. So my engine start is a two button press process. :)

Reactions: Rivsy124

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
441 Posts
I believe it all comes down to driving style.
If all you want is a smart looking car in which to cruise to and fro, simply ignore the switch and never engage the sport mode.
If you really want to see how this little car can push the limits of your driving ability and put a smile on your face with every twist in the road, then sport mode should be your default.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Agreed, TX_Bandit. I just wish I could change which mode was the default on engine start. lol I really was wanting to buy that little gizmo. Ah well, like having a display of my four tires' perssure and temp (like the Abarth 500), likley never to be a reality. Enough for me to lose the love I have for the vehicle? No chance of that happening. It's a keeper, and in another couple of months I can finally get her out of the garage and onto the roads again. COVID lockdowns are trying to defeat my spirit, but with the Spider patiently waiting for spring, I see hope in the near future. :)

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
521 Posts
IMHO default mode on start up is there for the same reason there is a low coolant temperature light. Best for engine longevity to not push an engine until it's at full operating temperature. Things tend to fail early if you do.

Reactions: mtnghost

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not liking Sport mode in the Abarth version is like saying you’re not into sports cars.

Enhaces the steering weight (feels absolutely fantastic), relaxes the TC a bit, and makes the throttle response perfect (peppy and engaging but not too sensitive that you can’t cruise with your foot on the pedal).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Abarth without sport mode = human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria. Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.
I would never be caught in my Spider without Sport mode on, wish it was the default too. Regular mode feels dull and heavy - unacceptable.

I do use it under lots of rain though as it is safer both power delivery wise and traction wise.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
ROBC2, if sports mode bothers you and is meaningless, put a electrical tape over it and it's not there anymore. Same as the traction button, it's always on I never touch it.

Now maybe that button is disconnected in your car, or is always on and think is off or well you're a boring driver who drives on the LEFT LANE on the minimum speed allowed.:cool:

When I like to kick azzes, that button helps me accomplish it or when in a tunnel, It makes that exhaust scream when accelerating and makes my testosterone go up. LOL

Jokes apart, maybe something wrong with the SPORT MODE BUTTON.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I am going to have to spend some more time with Sport Mode to see if I will come to love it as you all do. I do find all of the responses entertaining!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Probably apples to oranges but I had a 500, which my son now drives, and I generally never used the sport button. It kept the rpms needlessly high, it was an auto, and made the steering unnaturally heavy. Plus you had to push the button every time you started the car.

Just my two pennies.

·
Registered
285 Posts
To the OP's point, I will say putting around at low speeds like in parking garages, Normal is smoother and less lurchy than Sport. But yeah, in regular driving Sport is much better.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth
3 Posts
What's not to like? it makes an amazing difference, as opposed to other cars where the sports mode is more of a marketing gimmick.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts