Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a coil set soon but want to know if there really worth it. The only info i can find on coils is that the car will idle better and that it runs smoother but no one has dyno numbers.
who makes the best coils?

My long term goal is to get a better turbo on the car shooting for 250rwhp

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
No, coils do not make power.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
then why even upgrade them???
1. More reliable than the OEM part in this particular case.
2. Stronger spark for raised boost (tune).

Reactions: sdlynx

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i have a company sending me a free set the dyno for them i will post my dyno sheets when they come in

Reactions: Roadscum

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well i have a company sending me a free set the dyno for them i will post my dyno sheets when they come in
Good on them!! Any answer other then 'no power gain' will be suspect. :D

In the past I've played with many motorcycles attempting to squeeze every ounce of power from the motor. Dyno testing was unable to prove any meaningful gain in power regardless of the state of tune. I have no reason to suspect the results in an automobile will be any different. Any 'seat of the pants' performance improvements resulted from my lightened wallet, not a new ignition.. :mad:

Paul

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
If you think about what coils do, you'll understand that it's not a power boost they are delivering, but a reliability of spark when it's needed. There are conditions, especially under a modified engine, that a weak or delayed spark would cause a loss of potential power, so you could say that you can realize all power gains for a modified/performance engine.

Also, under idle conditions, a weak electrical system could cause a weak or non existent spark. I don't think that's the case with a modern engine.

Reactions: sdlynx and Roadscum

·
Vendor
3,657 Posts
A lot of this stems from the 500 Abarth. They do have weak coil packs, which have a tough time handling large increase in boost. Worse, they are prone to failure, which may be why they didn't use them in the 124.

The 124's stock coil pack seem OK. I haven't tried them with anything extreme yet, but for stock or mild tunes they seem to be just fine. If the hotter tunes turn out to be too much for them, well we have various upgrades already on the shelves including NGen, Alfa Romeo 4C coil packs, and Okada.

Greg

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so what if they do make power ??

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Reactions: Not Sure and sdlynx

·
Registered
247 Posts
If they "make power" it would be because there is an inherent deficiency in the car from the factory and that is a problem for ALL of us.

From my experience, they will not. I'm running the MaxFire Madness coils and it has made no real increase. However, as mentioned before, since the 500's have a history of needing them on modified cars, I took advantage of the opportunity and changed mine out.

No "power advantage", but I don't have to worry about misfire with the mods I have done.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Not all mods are for making power. The GFB DV+ does not make power, but is a valuable mod.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
This will really date me, but here goes.:)
I once owned a Datsun 2000, a 1970 series 3 car that was the best of that run. I added a homebuilt CD ignition which provided a "hotter" spark and it resulted in snappier throttle response. With the improvements offered by modern electronics, I'd expect upgraded coilpacks to provide the same feeling.
I wouldn't expect more power since the engine isn't being provided more fuel, oxygen, or compression.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Coils come in tomorrow but car is back at dealer ship for more problems :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
installing coil tomorrow should get the car on the dyno to see what it does

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
soooo....... Finally instally the coils

Here are some pic of what's inside each coil

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I have Ngen coiled which I bought from a member here and have not installed them yet. Now I have the V1, but if I go with the V4 then I will install them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haven't dynoed the car yet but i can see that my MPG have gone up 1.5 MPG

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Haven't dynoed the car yet but i can see that my MPG have gone up 1.5 MPG
Well a better spark better burn could turn out more efficient and more miles to the gallon.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts