Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be a silly question, but I can't find answer. If we have direct Injection, should we use a fuel cleaner like Lucas or Marvel Mystery oil to help clean the back side of the valves from forming carbon deposits. With the new Multi Air System, the intake valves Could maybe stay open a little longer to allow some gas and cleaning agent time to flow onto the backside of the valve and help reduce carbon buildup.
Are you guys opposed or favor using gas addatives like Lucas or Marvel.?

Thanks for all replies.
Cyberbill, Austin.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is good for keeping valves clean , right?

Looks like sequential multi-port injection...
So if we have multi-port Injection, the fuel is sprayed behind the intake valve, thus allowing the fuel addatives, Techron, Shell Nitrogen, or any consumer introduced type cleaner like Marvel Mystery Oil or Lucas the opportunity to clean the back side of the valve of carbon deposits, correct???
Plus using high grade pure synthetic oil and religious oil changes would all help

to mitigate and control the build up of carbon deposits in the valves and stems?? Right??
I know...lots of questions, but I plan on keeping my Little Baby for a long time and out of the repair shop, like I think we all are.
Cyberbill, Austin

·
Vendor
3,343 Posts
We have port injection. At the moment this is true for all gasoline powered Fiats in the US. A lot of the newer Alfa Romeos have direct injection, which is where the confusion tends to come in since both types of engines have been offered in certain Alfas. (for example, until this year you could buy a Giulietta with a port injected 1.4 turbo like the one in our Spider, or a direct injected 1750, like the one in the 4C)

I have looked at the back side of the valves in engines with around 50k on them and I haven't seen any build up of anything. I think that the modern blends of gasoline are so clean, and the engine has so little blowby, that it's just not an issue. My 02c.

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts