Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
First time getting some aftermarket wheels, am very excited!

Current setup is stock, this is the new setup:

Enkei TS10: 17x8 with Firehawk Indy 500 @ 215/45/17.

Planning on using Madness Lowering Springs (the most aggressive drop there is for springs basically, -1.4").

Calculator: (don't know what it means though)

Hi again.....your wheel and tyre selection are within realms of fitment, Aldo went 225 on wheels supplied and calculated by Brian Goodwin so the 8" bit was the dodgy to be clearance checked along with the offset. The wheel size charts are available online which I included in my Brexit Mods thread somewhere near the end I think. The springs though......I had 16" Classica wheels with Good-Win Dual Tip RoadSport exhaust and could not get a Racing (so extra low) jack under the Spider without sawing scaffolding planks down as ramps, I also used Eibach Pro-Fit springs so had a 30" mm to 35" drop...Max recommended for safety I read online was 35 mm. My Spider also caught the exhaust join flange reversing out of garage slope unless I was extra slow, so I went to 17" Lusso wheels and 215/45 Michelin Pilot Sport 4's and now the Spider has risen slightly again so I have clearence, and can get the jack under "just".
If it was me.......FORGET that drop of 1.4", go for Eibach Pro-Fit which have a softer top section and hard bottom section making suspension move with driver input perfectly. My Spider now handles Supremely. Eibach also do a race type spring and H&R "I think" are also recommended by many Lads here........Others may disagree as is their right of course but I would always err on the side of safety....and not waste money without getting the opinions of other Members far more qualified and Intelligent than I. Good Luck with it all, Wash your hands and Stay Safe, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will try 215 and 225 at the tire shop and see what happens, before ordering the springs

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
I'm running those tires on 17x7 wheels and they're perfect IMO. Installing them on a 17x8 wheel would be quite a stretch. I'd go up to a 225.

Camber will help also.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm running those tires on 17x7 wheels and they're perfect IMO. Installing them on a 17x8 wheel would be quite a stretch. I'd go up to a 225.

Camber will help also.
I bit the bullet and went with H&R instead of Madness. $45 more expensive but have more reviews and the drop is 0.2/3 less than Madness so I could maybe fit 225/45/17.
Would 225 rub you think?

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
I bit the bullet and went with H&R instead of Madness. $45 more expensive but have more reviews and the drop is 0.2/3 less than Madness so I could maybe fit 225/45/17.
Would 225 rub you think?
Good choice as many of our members swear by them....you said that your tyre shop would allow you to try both sets to see whats what so, if that's the case Go For It and if you are unsure, take a buddy who is..........Cheers

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good choice as many of our members swear by them....you said that your tyre shop would allow you to try both sets to see whats what so, if that's the case Go For It and if you are unsure, take a buddy who is..........Cheers
Guess I’ll do the springs first then.

I’ll update this thread with my tire choice for useful documentation.

Hope 225 will fit and look badass but not be TOO grippy that I can’t have some rwd fun.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Guess I’ll do the springs first then.

I’ll update this thread with my tire choice for useful documentation.

Hope 225 will fit and look badass but not be TOO grippy that I can’t have some rwd fun.
"For me", the 215 felt "Just Right".....ask "Aldo" how his Abarth is performing on the 225's maybe ? Another Beauty, not Aldo, that Spider...........

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"For me", the 215 felt "Just Right".....ask "Aldo" how his Abarth is performing on the 225's maybe ? Another Beauty, not Aldo, that Spider...........
I had 215 Michelin PS4S and they were grippy as hell, but also a more expensive, better and lower treadwear tire (300 vs 340)

also, my car was auto and with manual you can spin the tires a lot more because of the clutch interaction. Much to learn but looking forward to that :)

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I have the same wheels in black. A 235/40R17 looks perfect on them.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Do you think 225/45 will fit perfectly with HR springs?
I don't know how much those springs will drop you. The 225/45s are .6" taller than 235/40s. They are about .7" taller than 205/45s. As long as they don't drop you more than 25mm or so I think it will fit. You'll also get a greater speedometer error with 225/45s than you will with 235/40s. What's your aversion to doing the 235/40s?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I agree. Might be worth considering a 235/40r17 as it matches the stock height very closely. The new Advan Fleva V701 makes a good daily performance tire and only costs $130/each in that size if you cost sensitive.

Everything else is more of a track tire although the R1R and RT615 do make decent street tires. I personally love my R1R on the street.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I agree. Might be worth considering a 235/40r17 as it matches the stock height very closely. The new Advan Fleva V701 makes a good daily performance tire and only costs $130/each in that size if you cost sensitive.

Everything else is more of a track tire although the R1R and RT615 do make decent street tires. I personally love my R1R on the street.
Unless something better comes out, I'll be replacing the Dunlop Direzza ZIIIs with the Advan Fleva V701. What I really want is a tire with a longer name though :rolleyes:. I've gotten about 6,000 miles on the Dunlops and they probably have another 1,000 or so miles left in them. I probably could have gotten 15,000 if I hadn't done track days on them as well.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I don't know how much those springs will drop you. The 225/45s are .6" taller than 235/40s. They are about .7" taller than 205/45s. As long as they don't drop you more than 25mm or so I think it will fit. You'll also get a greater speedometer error with 225/45s than you will with 235/40s. What's your aversion to doing the 235/40s?
Several things:

i dont use my speedo, only GPS radar detector

235 is much wider than 205, so a lot more grip and less rwd fun, especially without a tune.

40 is less comfortable than 45 (when same width)

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like I said HR drops 1.1 and 1.2” so 0.98” is 25mm. Slightly lower than that.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Too much tire for 150 whp

1 - 20 of 72 Posts