Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Do you think this will rub?

7K views 71 replies 12 participants last post by  Buffandsweet33 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Awesome, thanks for that input

#4 ·
Hi again.....your wheel and tyre selection are within realms of fitment, Aldo went 225 on wheels supplied and calculated by Brian Goodwin so the 8" bit was the dodgy to be clearance checked along with the offset. The wheel size charts are available online which I included in my Brexit Mods thread somewhere near the end I think. The springs though......I had 16" Classica wheels with Good-Win Dual Tip RoadSport exhaust and could not get a Racing (so extra low) jack under the Spider without sawing scaffolding planks down as ramps, I also used Eibach Pro-Fit springs so had a 30" mm to 35" drop...Max recommended for safety I read online was 35 mm. My Spider also caught the exhaust join flange reversing out of garage slope unless I was extra slow, so I went to 17" Lusso wheels and 215/45 Michelin Pilot Sport 4's and now the Spider has risen slightly again so I have clearence, and can get the jack under "just".
If it was me.......FORGET that drop of 1.4", go for Eibach Pro-Fit which have a softer top section and hard bottom section making suspension move with driver input perfectly. My Spider now handles Supremely. Eibach also do a race type spring and H&R "I think" are also recommended by many Lads here........Others may disagree as is their right of course but I would always err on the side of safety....and not waste money without getting the opinions of other Members far more qualified and Intelligent than I. Good Luck with it all, Wash your hands and Stay Safe, Cheers
ron

#5 ·
I think I will try 215 and 225 at the tire shop and see what happens, before ordering the springs

Reactions: Brexit !
#6 ·
I'm running those tires on 17x7 wheels and they're perfect IMO. Installing them on a 17x8 wheel would be quite a stretch. I'd go up to a 225.

Camber will help also.

#7 ·
I'm running those tires on 17x7 wheels and they're perfect IMO. Installing them on a 17x8 wheel would be quite a stretch. I'd go up to a 225.

Camber will help also.
I bit the bullet and went with H&R instead of Madness. $45 more expensive but have more reviews and the drop is 0.2/3 less than Madness so I could maybe fit 225/45/17.
Would 225 rub you think?

#12 ·

#14 ·
Do you think 225/45 will fit perfectly with HR springs?

#16 ·
I agree. Might be worth considering a 235/40r17 as it matches the stock height very closely. The new Advan Fleva V701 makes a good daily performance tire and only costs $130/each in that size if you cost sensitive.

Everything else is more of a track tire although the R1R and RT615 do make decent street tires. I personally love my R1R on the street.

#17 ·
Unless something better comes out, I'll be replacing the Dunlop Direzza ZIIIs with the Advan Fleva V701. What I really want is a tire with a longer name though :rolleyes:. I've gotten about 6,000 miles on the Dunlops and they probably have another 1,000 or so miles left in them. I probably could have gotten 15,000 if I hadn't done track days on them as well.

#26 ·
Emphasis on every now and then ;)

#27 ·
I won’t be using spacers either, some have had them on (the Abarth with red wheels) and had rubbing issues.

#30 ·
Yeah Konis are cool but my Abarth Bilsteins have less than 1000 miles on em.

Springs arrive today, just waiting on the crosspipe

#33 ·
Not sure if 235/40 fit if it’s even taller than stock?

but never mind, the indy 500 Dont come in that size.

#40 ·
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. So much trash in this thread now.

#45 · (Edited)
Here you go!

#47 ·
@Chainringtattoo @Phillip33 I think you are confused. I agree that 235/40 can fit better than 225/45 because 225/45 is taller, but 235/40 DOES NOT exist for the Indy 500s. However, Murix said that 225/45 should still fit.

#55 ·
Thanks for your response and suggestions. Of course, using spacers would make sense!!
Yes, the car is only for street. Mostly used for fun, fast, country road drives with as many winding roads as possible. Also use it for city driving as I live in a major metropolitan area.

I was planning on moving to coilovers. Any recommandations or preference?

Cheers!!

#56 ·
Thanks for your response and suggestions. Of course, using spacers would make sense!!
Yes, the car is only for street. Mostly used for fun, fast, country road drives with as many winding roads as possible. Also use it for city driving as I live in a major metropolitan area.

I was planning on moving to coilovers. Any recommandations or preference?

Cheers!!
What is your budget for coilovers?

#58 · (Edited)
ANSWER: they WILL probably rub (225)
- going with 215, which is what I had originally thought to get. Saving a bit more money too and MORE RWD FUN. Also saving weight.

#59 ·
Having gone from 205 to 215 I feel 215 has to the sweet spot. Can still spin the rears in 2nd if I try, till slides but much more sure footed in the wet and bends. 225s generally on hatches weighing a few hundred kg more so feel a bit overkill!

#61 ·
They didn’t really fit, lowering springs had been installed day before so still some more settling was required.
However I got $40 off lifetime alignment so I can go any time to make those adjustments and then try to fit 225/45 before trying out 235/40 for autocross/racing later on.

#62 ·

Doesn't really look stretched at all...

#65 ·
Enkei*, close lol.

Still finishing up breaking in the new tires but will make a few reviews after alignment next week.

I always use Sport mode but the exhausts sound difference is negligible. It’s all about the throttle response.

Reactions: Buffandsweet33
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.