Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

221 - 240 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Thanks Steve for the quick reply. It was sugested to me to remove the spring that holds the valve closed and just tied the flap open with a stainless steel wire. If I do that, I was wondering if I would lose any power or have compression problems at low speeds.
I don't think it will cause any problems if you wire the valve open, but part of the fun with this exhaust is the sound when you get on it!

Mine barely operated when it was new. I would pry it open and it would stick, or it would stick then slam shut a few seconds later. It felt like it was welded together too tightly so it was galling. (or there was slag trapped between the moving parts.)

I got some fine valve lapping compound, (600 grit Clover Compound) brushed it into the joints top and bottom, and worked it back and forth until it operated smoothly and freely. I cleaned it up and lubricated it with Nickel - Graphite Anti Seize.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Love the RM. Great sound on startup, and sounds great when you open up the throttle. Here’s a photo showing the stock and RM exhaust systems. If you install this, it’s super easy using Rhino ramps and a $12 exhaust hanger removal tool (a must).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Now if someone can link me to a good electric polisher and pads and a polish to shine mine up, there would appreciate it. Preferably an affordable mini polisher.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the Record Monza. $840 installed at my dealer, just because we couldn't find a 124 Abarth for me to buy with it already on it (at least the way I wanted it). It does sound way better than stock. But it sadly does not make your 124 sound like a 500 Abarth. The spring does look weak on the mechanism, but proper maintenance of the valve should keep it working. Remember, your engine is basically an air pump. So the more efficient you make it, the more sound you will get (i.e. aftermarket air intake). More air in, more sound out. Exhaust comes out of every outlet all the time, but throttle modulation will alter how much goes through the muffler versus the non-muffled egress. One final word for those looking to buy it; there is a "defect" from the factory where the left two outlets are lower than the right. So your exhaust will not be symmetrical. As long as you're okay with that, go for it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Maybe at some point I'll look at it. It would be nice if it were right from the factory though.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I have the Record Monza. $840 installed at my dealer, just because we couldn't find a 124 Abarth for me to buy with it already on it (at least the way I wanted it). It does sound way better than stock. But it sadly does not make your 124 sound like a 500 Abarth. The spring does look weak on the mechanism, but proper maintenance of the valve should keep it working. Remember, your engine is basically an air pump. So the more efficient you make it, the more sound you will get (i.e. aftermarket air intake). More air in, more sound out. Exhaust comes out of every outlet all the time, but throttle modulation will alter how much goes through the muffler versus the non-muffled egress. One final word for those looking to buy it; there is a "defect" from the factory where the left two outlets are lower than the right. So your exhaust will not be symmetrical. As long as you're okay with that, go for it.
Agreed. It should be proper from the factory. The lack of symetry was one of the first things I noticed after I had my RM installed. We took it back into the dealer's shop, and adjusted (heated, then slightly bent) the brackets to get it to hang evenly. Easy enough to do and looks spot on level from the rear now.

·
Vendor
3,094 Posts
I like the idea of heating up the bracket and bending it, although I just allow mine to be off slightly. It's not really enough to notice unless you are specifically looking for it.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I like the idea of heating up the bracket and bending it, although I just allow mine to be off slightly. It's not really enough to notice unless you are specifically looking for it.

Greg
Some would refer to it as being a bit OCD. My wife calls it being anal retentive. lol For me it wasn't a matter of looking for it... as soon as I saw the back of the car it might just have well been set up with flashing strobes and a neon arrow pointing to it. Yup... AR... :)

bridge allignment.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’ve been thinking of getting it for my 2018 Abarth, though since I bought it used, I’m not sure what exhaust I have.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I’ve been thinking of getting it for my 2018 Abarth, though since I bought it used, I’m not sure what exhaust I have.
If it is very quiet, you have the OEM exhaust

·
Registered
57 Posts
Easy to check. If your tips fork off of the same pipe, it's the standard. If they have individual pipes, it's a Record Monza.
Thanks, think it’s standard. Did the ‘ole turn my phones’ light on, record video, and shoved my arm under the rear bumper to check method. Looks too big to be the Monza.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I loved the Monza, just finished taking off the car... have to sell my 124 unfortunately.

Had the goodwin first, but got 2 tickets for disturbance..so got the monza instead, cops couldn ticket me at low rev anymore.

So will be listing soon a low miles monza...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got my new abarth out of the dealership a few days ago, both this one and the one I had before had record Monza exhausts, they came out new with them. Is this an Italian thing only? In US / CA they were only sold with stock exhausts?
Just curious, I thought getting it with RM was a worldwide thing

By the way, not sure why but although they both had the same exhaust this one sounds a bit louder than the previous abarth I had. Weird.

·
Vendor
3,094 Posts
In the US they rarely come with the Record Monza, a few cars have them off the showroom floor, but most have to order it specifically.

I am sure that soon it will be discontinued, so if you want a Record Monza, get one before it's too late.

Greg

221 - 240 of 246 Posts