Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

241 - 260 of 263 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Got my new abarth out of the dealership a few days ago, both this one and the one I had before had record Monza exhausts, they came out new with them. Is this an Italian thing only? In US / CA they were only sold with stock exhausts?
Just curious, I thought getting it with RM was a worldwide thing

By the way, not sure why but although they both had the same exhaust this one sounds a bit louder than the previous abarth I had. Weird.
It's a strange thing, is what it is.

The 500 Abarths sold in NA (and manufactured in Mexico) came stock with the Record Monza. The 124 Spider Abarths from the land of cherry blossoms and targetted for North America came with a quad pipe, non-Record Monza as stock equipment. And I can tell you from personal experience, it was a two year battle to even lay hands on a Record Monza to install on my car to replace what it came with. I'm attributing a lot of that to the fact that Abarth's are sold through Abarth dealerships in Europe, and are just another trim level in the American markets. Same reasoning behind why we initially didn't get Abarth badging anywhere other than on the hood and trunk. Fenders, seats, steering wheel, engine cover... none were provided or branded Abarth in the early model years (2017 ~ 2018)..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, i wonder why.. you did though get a lot of other stuff that is not available even as an option in Europe (blind spot warning, rearview camera, garage door opener on the rearview mirror, etc. ) So I guess there are quite a few regional differences

The badging is weird though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Three of the cars I'm considering are equipped with the RM exhaust, and I'm keen, but I wonder if anyone that has it gets complaints from spouse/neighbors?

I run unbaffled zoomie/trumpets on the Manx, but there are several Harley riders in the neighborhood that are much, much louder...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
It is not that loud and certainly "fits" the car very well. The OEM exhaust my car came with was very lame. My bride does not object to it and she is sensitive to loud noises.

·
Registered
2018 Classica stick, white with tech group option + RM, Enkei Compe, Driveguard RFT195/55R16
32 Posts
Finnaly installed RM on Classica from latest batch just off of back order. This batch (or at least this one) the tips hang evenly in the cutouts with no trimming needed. Valve moves freely, sprayed some heat riser lube with graphite in when I had it off and could tip it to help it go in while cycling the valve with the spring disconnected.
Love the sound, just right for me. I also installed CLD tiles in the trunk at almost the same time so can't make a comparison to the old one but sounds good on the highway and when working it a little on the back roads.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Finnaly installed RM on Classica from latest batch just off of back order. This batch (or at least this one) the tips hang evenly in the cutouts with no trimming needed. Valve moves freely, sprayed some heat riser lube with graphite in when I had it off and could tip it to help it go in while cycling the valve with the spring disconnected.
Love the sound, just right for me. I also installed CLD tiles in the trunk at almost the same time so can't make a comparison to the old one but sounds good on the highway and when working it a little on the back roads.
Where did you get your RM exhaust from? I'm looking to purchase one, but I can't seem to find one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If so, how do you like it and where did you get it?.
I'm running the Record Monza exhaust, came with my Abarth when I bought it privately. How do I like it? I love it. It's an aural delight, puts a a smile on my face every time I drive. The soundtrack is a major component of the Abarth 124's appeal, in fact it's so good I'd be hesitant to replace it less I could be ensured at least equivalent sound & performance.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have it and it works great

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
687 Posts
Have the RM on my Abarth Spider and really sounds great. No complaints from any neighbors and I leave for work relatively early in the morning. Works perfectly as well.

·
Registered
2018 Classica stick, white with tech group option + RM, Enkei Compe, Driveguard RFT195/55R16
32 Posts
Where did you get your RM exhaust from? I'm looking to purchase one, but I can't seem to find one.
I just went to a dealer and ordered it back in July, and it finally came in October about when they said it would.

·
Registered
2017 124 Spider Lusso Stock
54 Posts
I just called my local Chrysler dealer and the delivery is 45 days and the price is $1295.00 + tax :/

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm ready to buy as soon as I get SO signoff. Have had the AR non resonated axle back and I'm wishing I had at least tried the resonated. RM was what I had always wanted but it wasn't available at the time. Crosspipe from EC isn't an option rn since I have an automatic.

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
687 Posts
I'm ready to buy as soon as I get SO signoff. Have had the AR non resonated axle back and I'm wishing I had at least tried the resonated. RM was what I had always wanted but it wasn't available at the time. Crosspipe from EC isn't an option rn since I have an automatic.
IIRC at one point I think I saw that Greg from EC was looking for the ability to test the fit of an EC Crosspipe on an AT. Perhaps you should speak with them.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have. current status is an automatic owner test fit and reported back that it does not fit. I think EC is in the market for an automatic owner willing to bring their spider to sapulpa for onsite sizing to be able to make an automatic version. i've considered it. long drive from el paso, and i'd have to fly back one way and then repeat.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ahhh. Thank you for the enlightenment. The older I get the more I don't like to reply on my recollection. LOL.

241 - 260 of 263 Posts