Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably insufficient FIAT data for Spider itself to be listed.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Probably insufficient FIAT data for Spider itself to be listed.

WE are talking "same Car" (almost) so Yes, "in my opinion" as we already know...we have one Heck of a "Good, Reliable Sports Car"............I was quite shocked to read some of the UK school reports showing Porsche, BMW and Mercedes losing ground badly, The Japanese contingent continue to enjoy "Good Reliability" whilst Fiat almost dropped off the chart as a brand, the 500 stopping that happening. Nobody other than "those in the know" registers or even counts the 124 Spider as the numbers are so low and the vehicle came and went again so quickly. Biggest disappointment for me was to see Land Rover/Jaguar reliability fall when the old "Series", "Defender 90-110" and "TDi" were just so good, the 2.4 engine seemed okay but all of the rest of the newer, fancier, more expensive Land Rovers seem to be just hanging on.......Seems all the research and development investment was spent on future EV technology, Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I don't think the "reliability" of these can really be assessed. I saw where Car and Driver or someone gave the Spider a 9/10 but then a reliability of 4. Something like that...my point being come back in 7 years and then use some "data" not "guess"...

I mean are they that daft that b/c Fiats in the past had issues that these absolutely have to have them? My mechanic who I like, trust and respect said "OH those Fiats electrical systems" like it was 1980 (or whatever I don't know when they had their issues). Its like judging a 2021 Yugo (God help us) based on our memories of a 1985.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't think the "reliability" of these can really be assessed. I saw where Car and Driver or someone gave the Spider a 9/10 but then a reliability of 4. Something like that...my point being come back in 7 years and let them use some data not "guess"...

I mean are they that daft that b/c Fiats in the past had issues that these absolutely have to have them? My mechanic who I like, trust and respect said "OH those Fiats electrical systems" like it was 1980 (or whatever I don't know when they had their issues). Its like judging a 2021 Yugo (God help us) based on our memories of a 1985.

View attachment 81820
I dislike this way of thinking from uneducated mechanics, the 124, except for the engine, likely doesn't share a single bolt with older or even newer Fiats. I guess this is as similar as doctors telling you your blood pressure is high because of hereditary reasons when they can't find a reason.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I have couple mechanics in my life and the one I use most and who I "run cars by" welcomed with open arms my Fiat Spider purchase which I was surprised.

Previous to this purchase I came very close to buying a couple "older" Boxsters, X3's, and a BMW 2 Series Convertible...he panned each of them but not the Fiat.

I know he's genuine because he gave me that opinion knowing he wasn't working on them as he recommended me getting a MaxCare if I could find one below MSRP which I did (8/85,000 for $1305). Not that I don't trust my 124 but I just don't want to have to worry about 4 years 50k if I end up driving a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Great thanks! And agree...read a lot about the motor. Didn't realize tranny was Mazda....
Yep...it's from the "NC" MX5 so well proven

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Yep...it's from the "NC" MX5 so well proven
How many had this recall?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Consumer Reports lost all credibility for me after the Suzuki Samurai scandal. I realize it's been several decades and none of the players are around any longer, but their currency in trade was integrity which has been devalued to me.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
How many had this recall?
I have, it was a software update, didn't really changed anything I could feel.

·
Super Moderator
1,179 Posts
The MX5 has been a pretty reliable car despite some goofs. It surprised me that the MT6 problems haven’t had more impact. On Miata.net the number of MT6 failure posts is huge.
I got my Abarth expecting a smear campaign based on the bad Fiat legacy in North America resurrected by know-nothing pundits who didn’t know it was built in Hiroshima with parts from Mazda suppliers, except for the engines. The 124 hasn’t been without some issues, in many cases made worse by incompetent dealers and service people. The biggest future issue I expect is lack of spares. FCA had no stocking strategy and no supply chain management. Back in 2020 I had an evap sensor failure that was solved by removal. Since then “Alfa Cares” (FIat never cared) has been sending me apologies and missed delivery dates for the part. All of a sudden, supposedly it’s at my dealer. No word from Maxwell of Austin TX about it! I have no intention of installing a point of failure back into my car.
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
674 Posts
The MX5 has been a pretty reliable car despite some goofs. It surprised me that the MT6 problems haven’t had more impact. On Miata.net the number of MT6 failure posts is huge.
I got my Abarth expecting a smear campaign based on the bad Fiat legacy in North America resurrected by know-nothing pundits who didn’t know it was built in Hiroshima with parts from Mazda suppliers, except for the engines. The 124 hasn’t been without some issues, in many cases made worse by incompetent dealers and service people. The biggest future issue I expect is lack of spares. FCA had no stocking strategy and no supply chain management. Back in 2020 I had an evap sensor failure that was solved by removal. Since then “Alfa Cares” (FIat never cared) has been sending me apologies and missed delivery dates for the part. All of a sudden, supposedly it’s at my dealer. No word from Maxwell of Austin TX about it! I have no intention of installing a point of failure back into my car.
best regards
Pete
The MT6 problems you have seen for the MX5 are ND related (2016-present)? The 124 uses de NC MT6 which is more robust.

I agree, the worst issue the 124 has as a whole is FCA and the dealer network/service. I also think that reputation is what got me a great deal when I bought used.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Why anyone would associate product quality with "How green " a company behaves is beyond me...... Just more b.s. from the ministry of propaganda.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts