Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
The MT6 problems you have seen for the MX5 are ND related (2016-present)? The 124 uses de NC MT6 which is more robust.
This, among other considerations, biased me toward the 124 over the ND. We got a better looking ND, with the more reliable NC transmission and a solid punchy easily upgradeable engine.

Reading about the ND manual transmission on Miata.net, it sounds like a catastrophe. Huge issues in the 2016-17 model years. Later improvements but reason to suspect there are fundamental design flaws that could seriously impact longevity. I might have been content with the 180HP 2L engine but almost certainly not with the 155HP version in a slightly used one, but probably not so I would want to turbo it eventually...however not with that transmission.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The MX5 has been a pretty reliable car despite some goofs.
My 2004 Miata was among my least reliable cars. Issues included a driver's door latch (climbing in was the best alternative - no Magnum PI moments) and multiple radio failures.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Considering that at 1251 miles and 5 months I was leaking green coolant, and needed a new water pump, (replaced under warranty), I'm going with "No, it doesn't apply to our Spiders."

Unfortunately, I no longer consider my/this car "reliable" any longer. :(:mad:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
My Spider will be two years next month. Besides a [Fiat] water pump replaced under warranty, and an outdated, irritating [Mazda] infotainment system, my Spider has been flawless, inside and out.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Why anyone would associate product quality with "How green " a company behaves is beyond me...... Just more b.s. from the ministry of propaganda.....
In the specific case of the article posted by the OP, it directly relates to government mandated corporate average fuel economy standards.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Car has been reliable, other then:
1. Roof rub issue (Twice) - My belief is that dealers don't know how to adjust properly, thus they immediately want to replace the whole roof assembly
2. Seatbelt retractors, backordered since Fall
3. Passenger side lower intercooler charge pipe

21 - 26 of 26 Posts