Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question, unless the answer is yes. I have never had a problem entering my driveway with any of my vanilla vehicles, but after topping the curb cut of my driveway, it immediate slopes up hill.

Has anyone ever scraped the bottom of the Spider's bumpers under normal driving condition such as this (not curb hopping, stump jumping, or off-pavement rally racing, etc.), or does it seem to have adequate vertical clearance at the overhangs? I know this car does not sit low like a supercar, but I didn't think to get a measurement of the lowest hanging bumper area during my test drive.

Thanks for your answers, and you're welcome for the laughs.

Steve.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Compared to my 2010 Corvette which scraped everywhere and ALWAYS in my driveway (alarming the neighbors), the 124 is like an off-road 4x4. I've yet to hear it scrape.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Stock, it's fine. I've never had a problem. I'll let the people lowering theirs detail how low you can go before donating bits of the bottom of the car to the public.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Agreed....no scraping with my car after 7,000 miles of all purpose driving. Much better than when I owned a solstice.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Dropped on H&R springs...never scraped anything...including very large speed bumps...the wheel base pushes the wheels to the very front and rear of the car which really helps clears almost all obstacles...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Surprisingly, no. The dam in front is just the right height to clear parking lot curbs and chocks.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool beans. Oh yeah, speed bumps and parking lot curbs, no problems with those either. Good to hear. Thank you very much.

Steve.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Cool beans. Oh yeah, speed bumps and parking lot curbs, no problems with those either. Good to hear. Thank you very much.

Steve.
I have touched a couple of parking lot stops, but glides over the ones of normal height. No problems elsewhere.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Compared to my 2010 Corvette which scraped everywhere and ALWAYS in my driveway (alarming the neighbors), the 124 is like an off-road 4x4. I've yet to hear it scrape.
Just like our former BRZ S! Coming into our garage sounded like the front of the car was going to be ripped off!

The 124 hasn't scraped anywhere yet! :D

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Nope. The Abarth's been good from a clearances perspective. And the the Abarth's front overhang, I was expecting problems

·
Banned
425 Posts
Only when it wheelies

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reactions: Stelvio

·
Registered
56 Posts
No problem here. It's a very utilitarian height IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
My Abarth has yet to scrape and the area I live in had numerous places that gave my 2000 Miata (stock springs) trouble on either the frame or air dam.

Pete

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,038 Posts
I have one driveway leaving the gym that is very steep, but the part that rubs the ground is the rubber aero bits that are just in front of the wheels under the car (not the front splitter). Those bits are made soft so they can fold and rub over and over for years without serious damage.

·
Registered
805 Posts
No trouble here. Standard Classica.... two BIG BOYS on board today, no scrapes leaving or re entering driveway...deep gulley/gutter. The C-5 Vette, the Bugeye or the X1/9...forget about it...crabwise or go across the lawn...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Those bits are made soft so they can fold and rub over and over for years without serious damage.
I knocked one of these off when forced off the side of a narrow road by an SUV driver too precious to let his tyres touch dirt. I pulled over down the road and it just clipped straight back on, no damage at all! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
My driveway going into the garage has always scraped my last car which was a stock Dart GT I figured I would have the same issue but so far none. I would love to lower my car a bit but that scrape noise drives me nuts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts