Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does your thermostat needle click??

So I'm moving up to the 1,500 mile mark on my odometer, where you guys have reported thermostat issues. So I started the car, the blue light came on and I drove down the road slowly and kept my eye on the needle. It jumped from zero to say 100 in one jump, the light went out. Then about two minutes later it jumped to normal, I.e. Just under the 210 mark.

Is this jumping normal. Aren't they supposed to just rise up slowly.
thanks for all answers.
Grandpa ?
Bill:confused::confused:

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Normal from my experience. I don't think the digital display of the needle is updated in real time.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah, remember that those are not real gauges, they're digital facsimiles. They jump from one setting to the next, not continuously variable.

·
Registered
476 Posts
yes it is not linear movement but rather makes jumps to specific notches, i find it very annoying. i want to know as it is moving and where exactly it is, not one second reading normal around 185-200 and then all of sudden it is 225. Forces one to use a scan tool to watch things instead of just using the needle.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Like time, temperature is linear, not incremental. In that sense, analog will always be more accurate than digital. Analog better represents a vector, imparting a sense of the direction as well as the rate of increase, and not just the magnitude. I always did prefer an analog speedometer for this reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts