Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed mine is getting a great deal of attention up here. To date, I haven't seen another one on the road in my region. I found a picture of my car in my driveway on the NWI Car Enthusiasts group on Facebook last week. The next day, while I was out getting my other car washed, my wife said she saw an SUV drive down our street, stop at our driveway, and take a picture. As I was leaving one day waiting for traffic to pass down our street, a guy in a Chevy Blazer with his girlfriend in the passenger seat slowed down with his phone out to take a picture.

I'll be sitting at a red light up front and the guy making a left turn from my right at the intersection will have his eyes literally glued to my car as he's turning. I'm sat there thinking, as flattered as I am, keep your eyes on the road! Everywhere I go, people are watching the car. This car is constantly turning heads. I kinda like it?

What are your experiences?

·
Administrator
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend of mine called it a Ferrari in affordable trim. A while back, I watched a video of a guy that reviewed his ownership experience with a Ferrari, which was titled "Getting Gas in a Ferrari 360 Modena."

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oh yeah.... I think it's mostly people who have no idea what it is, since it doesn't say Fiat anywhere on the outside. I've had someone ask me if it's "the new Jaguar", and I had someone ask if it cost $60,000. I'm almost hoping that these stay pretty rare so that novelty doesn't wear off. I still have yet to see another one driving on the road.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Yes. Absolutely. When I'm in the Abarth with the Launch Edition "red highlights on white" people definitely look at it...and kids point. It attracts a lot of attention. Abarth 124s are still a rare car here. I've still only seen one other on the road.

When I'm in the RF (still equally as rare...I've only seen one other so far), I'm invisible. Maybe if I'd bought one in Soul Red?

·
Registered
150 Posts
No doubt. I get a kick out of watching others when sitting at a red light. I've lost count of the number of people that I've seen pointing at the car after getting their passengers attention and rarely can get fuel without someone walking up and wanting to ask about it. The most fun was today when I went into our local WalMart. I had 4 people walk up to me while I was IN the store (and away from the car) asking me about it. They had seen me drive in and then guess they noticed what I was wearing and look like (the big white beard and hat probably helped) and came up asking. One of them had cut his teeth (the same as me) with his first car being an 850 Spider.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Last car I bought that got this much attention was when I bought an Audi TT quattro back in 2001. It was seriously like driving a UFO back then...but this thing turns as many heads.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Looking at the video, I'd be pretty annoyed with the one bloke who came up and just opened the door and stuck his head without asking the owner, even putting his bottle on the roof.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Looking at the video, I'd be pretty annoyed with the one bloke who came up and just opened the door and stuck his head without asking the owner, even putting his bottle on the roof.
i certainly would have had to say something to him

·
Registered
476 Posts
Stopped for gas yesterday and two people came over to ask about it. and then stopped at the body shop where i am having a spoiler painted and several of the guys in the shop came out to peek at it.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Was driving around ST-Leonard, an Italian area here, and some seniors which are neck disabled, managed to turn their heads to see what RED Italian look car passed by, seemed the 124 spider of their youth days
flashed in their heads. LOL

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think I may have the only one in town. It is crazy how people stare, give thumbs up, and point. At the gas station a guy came over and thought it was a Ferrari! Though big black trucks seem to hate it, as I have had two try and race me at stop lights. Still breaking it in so I just let them go and shock my head. May have to drive it to the English sports car Cars and Coffee this weekend and see what happens��

·
Administrator
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We were out washing it on Sunday and I couldn't tell you how many people stared as they drove by. Two guys drove by; one in a Corvette and one in a Porsche, and both had their eyes glued as they were driving by.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yesterday, I spent 15 minutes in the Walmart parking lot while a guy told me all about his PT Cruiser convertible and how it was totaled by an uninsured motorist. I drove my '87 Alfa to the smoke shop and had someone comment on how much they like the look of my Triumph. While I had a TR3 back in the day, and I loved it, it is still an insult to an Alfa.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I've had people ask me about the car at stop lights when I've had the top down.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yesterday, I spent 15 minutes in the Walmart parking lot while a guy told me all about his PT Cruiser convertible and how it was totaled by an uninsured motorist. I drove my '87 Alfa to the smoke shop and had someone comment on how much they like the look of my Triumph. While I had a TR3 back in the day, and I loved it, it is still an insult to an Alfa.
God bless the "unwashed masses:!!! For they know no better.....there in lies the rub...nod, smile and say yes....you know the facts!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I went and got gas the other day and 2 different people started talking to me. One guy asked what kind of car it was, and the other guy told me about his old 124 spider that he used to own.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts