Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 21 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the weather thaws and I drive my Spider more regularly, I’ve been getting compliments from total strangers.

Driving home yesterday, a young dude in a VW GTI rolls down his window to give me a thumbs up. When we line up next to each other he says “GORGEOUS CAR, SIR!” I am still trying to get over the sir part, but I took his compliment all the same.

Filling up at the gas station the day before, a guy comes over and asks “Is that a Ferrari?” “No.” I say. “It is a Fiat.” He couldn’t hear me well so we went back and forth a few times. When he finally heard FIAT, he look puzzled and walked away. I still took it as a compliment...

Last fall dad and I are parking the Spider, when an older gentleman comes over and says “Beautiful car! Is that a Lamborghini?” Turns out he had migrated from Italy to Canada decades ago, so dad struck a conversation with him in Italian.

I owned cars that prompted strangers to offer their compliment before: my 2005 Chrysler 300 SRT8, and my 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT come to mind. But I admit it catches me by surprise that people swoon over my little $30,000 red Fiat.

Perhaps the fact that these cars are so rare is a factor.

Are you guys getting the same?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
It did in the beginning but it hasn’t happened in a long time.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Every day...at least “cute car” or “cool car”.

Can’t wait to get an exhaust on.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t know how common these cars are in the Bay Area.

I think I’ve only seen three other Spiders —including @GregtheBike ’s— in all of Whatcom County. That may be part of it.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
They aren't common in the Bay Area, I rarely see another one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I commute 80 miles a day in the SF Bay area, almost all of it on Hwy 101. I have only seen 2 or 3 new 124 spiders in recent memory. They are fairly rare. Of course being so low to the ground makes them hard to see too!

·
Registered
55 Posts
The early days I received a lot of compliments and thumbs up. It is surely a looker, so people turn their head on the street, passing by with their car or scooter and so on.

What I can tell you for sure is that it is a real women magnet. For this reason, lately I do not know if the occasional thumb up is for the car or the girl I am out with... o_O Maybe both! :LOL:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had one guy ask about it. Was convinced it was a kit car slapped together.
When I politely said otherwise, he got mad and huffed off.

Not sure what to make of that.🤨

·
Registered
169 Posts
"That's an Alfa Romeo, right?"
"Is that a Maserati?"
"Abarth? Is that French?"
"What IS that?"
"How much was that?"
"Bet that was pricey."

I've seen a Silver Classica and a Bronze Lusso on the road before, but not sure if they were local, or tourists...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I often get compliments, and when further away from my car I can observe bypassers whom often stop to have a second look.

·
Registered
227 Posts
One of the guys that participate in my local autoX club was manning the starting line and told me he thought Maserati made the best looking car, until he saw mine. He drives a 911 GT3, so I take that to be a hell of a compliment.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right, I totally forgot. I posted photos of my Spider on the Wrangler Forums the other day: someone asked it was an Alfa Romeo.

So far it’s only been confused with other Italian cars...

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I've never heard any negative comments. A handful of comments that I assessed were from guys that wished they owned one, but can't. Mostly, lots of conversation starters.... stopped at traffic lights, in service stations filling the tank, parking lots in malls etc. It's still pretty unique and uncommon. And with the Abarth, it's always the conversation that begins with "what is that?". lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've only had mine for 1 1/2 weeks, but do daily drive. I get some looks during my commute, but I think it's mostly "why is this idiot driving with the top down when it's 40 degrees" while I'm bundled up in winter attire.

After I installed the Record Monza exhaust, I went for a drive, pulled into a residential neighborhood past this guy and his son(?) playing lacrosse and my wife heard him say, "Damn..." 😁

·
Premium Member
2,296 Posts
just the other day a college student in a four runner stopped in his lane (i was turning left) and asked me if i was going to tell him how to afford to buy a 124 spider. i told him its not as expensive as you think...when I told him.... he was visibly shocked at the price. smiled and I could see the wheels turning in his head. lol

yesterday after getting a haircut and driving out of the parking lot, a guy gave me a shaka and shouted nice car!

aloha mike

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Kids in my neighborhood love my 'Lamborghini'. Haven't the patience or inclination to correct a bunch of 10 year-olds :)

I've had various questions and compliments from people at gas stations and parking lots and - memorably - had one guy chase me in to a store to ask questions about it. Usually people just want to know what the heck an 'Abarth' is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm down in Texas, so nobody really notices it. My Nissan frontier got way more compliments.

The chick working at the jack in the box drive thru really like it and said she was getting "California vibes," which is amusing since my girlfriend is from California and despises my 124.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Had one guy asked if it was Porsche, Abarth badge colours look vaguely Porsche like from a distance. Another expressed surprise that I could afford a $100,000 car!

Quite a number have asked about it and I tell it like it is. Not sure how that stacks up in their minds 'though.

1 - 21 of 69 Posts