Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
281 - 300 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am amazed how often people talk to me about our 124s. We have had a Classica since December 2018 and we still get compliments and questions constantly. We've also had an Abarth for several months now and she gets similar comments. We've had guesses of Alfa Romeo, Porsche, Maserati, Lambo, Ferrari, Jaguar (?), and several I don't remember. Only 1 time did someone guess MX-5. Another time, an older gentleman in Virginia at a gas station asked me if Itsy was the new 124 Spider. I told him, yes and he replied, "It looks great! I only thought I knew what it was because back in the 70s I owned a 124 and the hood made me think it might be the new one. I've been wanting to see one for a long time now."

I've had multiple people refuse to believe me when I told them what it costs. Average guesses go from 60-80K. We just took a 3 day trip to the beach (North Padre Island) and we had multiple compliments every day there, the best being a little boy, maybe 5-6 years old, spying my Spider logo on Itsy's hood, yanking his Dad's hand and pointing to the hood, exclaiming excitedly, "Look Daddy - IT'S SPIDERMAN's CAR!"

Later that day at a gas station, the guy on the opposite side of the fuel island said, "I used to work on exotic cars - that thing must be fun as hell on the beach!" He then proceeded to tell me how he used to work on Ferraris and loved getting to take them on check rides. As we started to leave the gas station, a guy in another car just entering gave us a big thumb's up.

They don't cause comments every day, but more than once weekly is average for us even after 2.5 years of ownership.

As far as the cars on interstates or multi-lane highways, speeding up, slowing down, riding right off your 5 o'clock trying to see emblems or anything that would tell them what the car is; that kind of stuff occurs a lot. And, as noted, Chargers, Camaros, and Mustangs all seem to feel the need to rev their engines and make sure you know how loud their motors are when they go by. Some want to race, but, also living in Texas, the biggest group of vehicles that wish to race are pick up trucks. Something about seeing Spiders make those good ol' boys want to go fast.

Definitely, the attention 124s get is part of ownership that I never expected, but enjoy to the max.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I would then take them to the nearest twisty, and as vin diesel put so eloquently smoke em!
Also Vin Diesel: "You got dat right."

Reactions: mtnghost

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Reactions: Tazilon Brenner

·
Registered
787 Posts
My little town closes the Main Street and has a car show every Tuesday for whomever wants to show up. I have been told that I should show my car, since as yet I have not seen any Spiders. I just sort of park of site and look and enjoy everyone else’s cars.

Just how I roll.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I once had a couple of hillbillies in a pickup stop and ask, "What'd you give for that?" When I told the truth, I don't think they were as impressed. :LOL:
I would then take them to the nearest twisty, and as vin diesel put so eloquently smoke em!
More than you can afford, pal. FIAT.

• Haha
Reactions: Magoffin

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am amazed how often people talk to me about our 124s. We have had a Classica since December 2018 and we still get compliments and questions constantly. We've also had an Abarth for several months now and she gets similar comments. We've had guesses of Alfa Romeo, Porsche, Maserati, Lambo, Ferrari, Jaguar (?), and several I don't remember. Only 1 time did someone guess MX-5. Another time, an older gentleman in Virginia at a gas station asked me if Itsy was the new 124 Spider. I told him, yes and he replied, "It looks great! I only thought I knew what it was because back in the 70s I owned a 124 and the hood made me think it might be the new one. I've been wanting to see one for a long time now."

I've had multiple people refuse to believe me when I told them what it costs. Average guesses go from 60-80K. We just took a 3 day trip to the beach (North Padre Island) and we had multiple compliments every day there, the best being a little boy, maybe 5-6 years old, spying my Spider logo on Itsy's hood, yanking his Dad's hand and pointing to the hood, exclaiming excitedly, "Look Daddy - IT'S SPIDERMAN's CAR!"

Later that day at a gas station, the guy on the opposite side of the fuel island said, "I used to work on exotic cars - that thing must be fun as hell on the beach!" He then proceeded to tell me how he used to work on Ferraris and loved getting to take them on check rides. As we started to leave the gas station, a guy in another car just entering gave us a big thumb's up.

They don't cause comments every day, but more than once weekly is average for us even after 2.5 years of ownership.

As far as the cars on interstates or multi-lane highways, speeding up, slowing down, riding right off your 5 o'clock trying to see emblems or anything that would tell them what the car is; that kind of stuff occurs a lot. And, as noted, Chargers, Camaros, and Mustangs all seem to feel the need to rev their engines and make sure you know how loud their motors are when they go by. Some want to race, but, also living in Texas, the biggest group of vehicles that wish to race are pick up trucks. Something about seeing Spiders make those good ol' boys want to go fast.

Definitely, the attention 124s get is part of ownership that I never expected, but enjoy to the max.
omg....yes, almost every day, either a thumbs up or a conversation...

with lockdown easing in the uk, I went out for lunch with my friend at this place, yesterday ( friday )
The Case Is Altered – part of Mosaic Pub & Dining – Part of Mosaic Pub & Dining (caseisalteredpinner.co.uk)
and the red haired waitress who took our order for food and drinks kept staring at me very intensely, and when she bought us our food she said " is that your red sports car parked outside ? " I said " yes ".
Once we had finished our meal and she was clearing our plates away she said to me " by the way, I finish work at 6 today ". I didnt know what to say, but it was quite clear that she was wondering if I would like to take her out in the car !

anyway, when I got back to my friends house to drop him back, his daughter's friend was there ( she is 18 ), and I had not met his daughter's friend before ( rebecca ), and she said would I mind if she took a picture of her and my car together. I said ' no problem', and we went outside to take the picture. I assumed she just wanted a picture of her standing by the car, and before I know it she had opened the driver's side door and sat in the drivers seat, i thought ok, and I said put your foot on the clutch, and then press the 'start' button, which she did, and the engine started, and then I said press the accelerator pedal, and she did....I have never seen anyone smile so much as she did, the car at a standstill, while she revved it ! I took the pics of her in the drivers seat with the hood down, and like I said, I have never seen anyone so happy, and with such a big smile ! ( I cant share the pics, as I don't have her permission )

Just one day in the life of ownership of a fiat 124 spider owner...

·
Registered
189 Posts
omg....yes, almost every day, either a thumbs up or a conversation...

with lockdown easing in the uk, I went out for lunch with my friend at this place, yesterday ( friday )
The Case Is Altered – part of Mosaic Pub & Dining – Part of Mosaic Pub & Dining (caseisalteredpinner.co.uk)
and the red haired waitress who took our order for food and drinks kept staring at me very intensely, and when she bought us our food she said " is that your red sports car parked outside ? " I said " yes ".
Once we had finished our meal and she was clearing our plates away she said to me " by the way, I finish work at 6 today ". I didnt know what to say, but it was quite clear that she was wondering if I would like to take her out in the car !

anyway, when I got back to my friends house to drop him back, his daughter's friend was there ( she is 18 ), and I had not met his daughter's friend before ( rebecca ), and she said would I mind if she took a picture of her and my car together. I said ' no problem', and we went outside to take the picture. I assumed she just wanted a picture of her standing by the car, and before I know it she had opened the driver's side door and sat in the drivers seat, i thought ok, and I said put your foot on the clutch, and then press the 'start' button, which she did, and the engine started, and then I said press the accelerator pedal, and she did....I have never seen anyone smile so much as she did, the car at a standstill, while she revved it ! I took the pics of her in the drivers seat with the hood down, and like I said, I have never seen anyone so happy, and with such a big smile ! ( I cant share the pics, as I don't have her permission )

Just one day in the life of ownership of a fiat 124 spider owner...
So, did you go back at 6 or not? You are leaving out important details here!

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
33 Posts
So, did you go back at 6 or not? You are leaving out important details here!
sadly not....I am still getting over the heartbreak 💔 of splitting up with 'the blonde' after 8 months, however its nice to know that I have 'other hair colour options ' future potential partners !

One thing that I wasn't expecting when I bought the car was just how much attention it would attract, and as others have said, from females, males, couples, and kids. ( I am guessing that female 124 owners get just as much attention from guys, as us guys do from the gals ! )

I completely agree that other people think that our 124 spiders are much more expensive than they are.

I bought the car because I thought it was very pretty and nice, handles and drives very nicely, ( I am a very keen driver and experienced in driving fast, and the 124 has just about the right amount of power for english roads - without resulting in losing your license ) and I can take it through a car wash with no problems.

I was considering buying a second hand Aston Martin, or various soft tops bmw's, and other convertibles from other manufactures, yet the 124 was for me. I reckon that I see at least one or two of all other convertibles every day, even 2 or 3 mazda mx-5 ( miata - for you yanks ), and that got me thinking about if I have ever seen another 124 spider whilst driving on the roads around London, and the answer is definitely 'no'....how come when I park the car, others appear I don't know/ understand.

I live very close to this place...
SCUDERIA
which is the servicing place for italian exotica, and is why I do see many Italian exotica ( maserati, ferrari etc ) 93 Bollo Lane, London
and also I live very close to
Homepage | Porsche Centre West London (porschewestlondon.co.uk) Great West Rd, Chiswick, London
which is why I do see many Porsches.

yet I don't and haven't ever seen another 124 spider whist driving around London.

I will update with my car/love life when ( or if ) anything happens in the near future !

·
Registered
33 Posts
sadly not....I am still getting over the heartbreak 💔 of splitting up with 'the blonde' after 8 months, however its nice to know that I have 'other hair colour options ' future potential partners !

One thing that I wasn't expecting when I bought the car was just how much attention it would attract, and as others have said, from females, males, couples, and kids. ( I am guessing that female 124 owners get just as much attention from guys, as us guys do from the gals ! )

I completely agree that other people think that our 124 spiders are much more expensive than they are.

I bought the car because I thought it was very pretty and nice, handles and drives very nicely, ( I am a very keen driver and experienced in driving fast, and the 124 has just about the right amount of power for english roads - without resulting in losing your license ) and I can take it through a car wash with no problems.

I was considering buying a second hand Aston Martin, or various soft tops bmw's, and other convertibles from other manufactures, yet the 124 was for me. I reckon that I see at least one or two of all other convertibles every day, even 2 or 3 mazda mx-5 ( miata - for you yanks ), and that got me thinking about if I have ever seen another 124 spider whilst driving on the roads around London, and the answer is definitely 'no'....how come when I park the car, others appear I don't know/ understand.

I live very close to this place...
SCUDERIA
which is the servicing place for italian exotica, and is why I do see many Italian exotica ( maserati, ferrari etc ) 93 Bollo Lane, London
and also I live very close to
Homepage | Porsche Centre West London (porschewestlondon.co.uk) Great West Rd, Chiswick, London
which is why I do see many Porsches.

yet I don't and haven't ever seen another 124 spider whist driving around London.

I will update with my car/love life when ( or if ) anything happens in the near future !
just to clarify - any cars that i was considering buying were all second hand - I bought my 124 spider with 9k miles, one previous owner..... I am not rich !

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
...and I can take it through a car wash with no problems.
I would advise caution, especially with Passione Red, the clear coat will readily show swirl marks and scratches as a result of careless cleaning technique. I effectively rejected my brand new Anniversary and sold it back to the dealer at full price due to the horrendous swirl marks and scratches.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would advise caution, especially with Passione Red, the clear coat will readily show swirl marks and scratches as a result of careless cleaning technique. I effectively rejected my brand new Anniversary and sold it back to the dealer at full price due to the horrendous swirl marks and scratches.
thanks, however its a bit too late, I have used a local shell car wash for the last two years on a regular basis, however, I did recently pay 25quid to have it hand washed, especially as I had noticed lots of leaves and various detritions under the boot lid and under the bonnet too...which they cleared out.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Reactions: Tazilon Brenner

·
Registered
33 Posts
very clear video, thanks, my car is going in for its annual service over the next few weeks, so I might ask them to clear them then.
incidentally - I had allready come across the 'drop top tees' videos on youtube, before , I just didnt realise that they were created by Tazilon Brenner, I didnt put 2 plus 2 together, the youtube videos and Tazilon, are the same person on this forum ! nice work guys.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Finally, one worth reporting. I was picking up carryout at a local restaurant, and a couple in a Lincoln Mark LT (remember those?) was leaving as I parked my Spider. The driver stopped in the middle of the parking lot and got out. "What kind of car is that?!" he asked, adding "I've never seen anything like it". I went through the usual explanation as he examined the details (he really loved the red seats and puro tri-coat). As we talked, he mentioned that we'd probably met. He shared that he once owned a restaurant in the area. I instantly knew who he was and which restaurant he meant (it had been one of our favorite go-to spots). He was a good friend of my late in-laws and knew their entire family very well. So the compliment turned into something of a reunion. Spider, bringing people together.

·
Registered
Just bought 2017 Abarth spider
75 Posts
A neighbor from down the street I only know a little (the kids know each other but don’t really play together) just walked up to me with a gift. He saw this original Abarth cap in a shop during his holiday to Italy and just had to bring it home for me. Guess i need to take him for a drive as soon as the rain clears.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
That’s too cool! 😎

I was driving on a back road in southern West Virginia today, when I passed a cyclist who shouted “I love your FIAT!!”.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
997 Posts
On my mini trip to Sausalito today, I had people everywhere asking what the car was and commenting nice fiat. Weird how different crowds respond to the car.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat Spider124 Classica Tech package, V2 EuroCompulsion Air Intake, Oil Catch Can,Turbo blanket
4 Posts
I've had mine going on 2 months now, and still getting used to the attention, but enjoy it especially now at 50. Have only had nods and waves so far but it is fun to drive with the top down, my new "happy place". Also learning to put the top up or down whilst rolling about 15 mph or so. Wish I had one of these at a younger age! Also want to add I enjoy this site , has great information on care and mods. Already did the V2 cold air intake, oil catch can and turbo blanket. Not sure what to do next, but thinking Italian red and green race strips up the right side up the hood to trunk.

281 - 300 of 322 Posts