Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Abarth
11 Posts
My Abarth turns heads all of the time... people linger on it...even funnier is how people will move aside to let me pass... My exhaust is on its way to me... super excited for it.

I also notice that parents like to point me out to their kids when I drive by... "look!"... lol...

When I had to go through emissions the guy running the test asked me how many cylinders it has.. Everybody loves the sound.

I adore this car...

·
Registered
2017 Abarth
11 Posts

^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^ I have so many stories from when I first picked up my Abarth (my wife named him Ghost)… It's remarkable to me the reactions you get...particularly from fellow gearheads who still don't seem to know what the car is but love the sound of it. And this all started from the day I picked Ghost up.

I've had people follow me into a gas station just to ask me about it.... or try and mask the fact that they are walking around their car to try and get a better look at the badges on mine...lol...

I had half a mind to sorta share all of the funny interactions I've had while driving/modding in the equivalent of a build/ownership thread....but I haven't found an off topic/sub section where that kind of long-form-ish posting would make sense and not annoy (I was a frequent poster on s2Ki back in the day when I had one).

The other upside to this was that my wife took over daily duties with Taz (our Fiesta ST). Our garage is filled with tiny terrors...lol..:

In the back of the pic above you can see that I basically have 6 sets of wheels for 2 cars if you include the stockers :shrugs:... This was in winter so both cars are riding on Sparco Terras...
With the right tire this is my favorite winter ride... I just wish we had the option for the GT hardtop, or better options than are currently around:

·
Registered
13 Posts
As the weather thaws and I drive my Spider more regularly, I’ve been getting compliments from total strangers.

Driving home yesterday, a young dude in a VW GTI rolls down his window to give me a thumbs up. When we line up next to each other he says “GORGEOUS CAR, SIR!” I am still trying to get over the sir part, but I took his compliment all the same.

Filling up at the gas station the day before, a guy comes over and asks “Is that a Ferrari?” “No.” I say. “It is a Fiat.” He couldn’t hear me well so we went back and forth a few times. When he finally heard FIAT, he look puzzled and walked away. I still took it as a compliment...

Last fall dad and I are parking the Spider, when an older gentleman comes over and says “Beautiful car! Is that a Lamborghini?” Turns out he had migrated from Italy to Canada decades ago, so dad struck a conversation with him in Italian.

I owned cars that prompted strangers to offer their compliment before: my 2005 Chrysler 300 SRT8, and my 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT come to mind. But I admit it catches me by surprise that people swoon over my little $30,000 red Fiat.

Perhaps the fact that these cars are so rare is a factor.

Are you guys getting the same?
I get that "Ferrari" comment a lot. Yesterday some kids about eight or nine years old were walking by and saw my Abarth. They stopped and stared. I got the same reaction from kids when I had my BMW Z-3. I just tried out the new Camaro with 650 hp. I can have one for $50,000 and my Abarth. Think I'll stick with the Abarth:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
While washing my Hiivatti today I overheard two kids discussing:
  • What car is that?
  • It is an Audi!
...did not want to yell after for more details, so seems it is an Audi then.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth
11 Posts
While washing my Hiivatti today I overheard two kids discussing:
  • What car is that?
  • It is an Audi!
...did not want to yell after for more details, so seems it is an Audi then.
LOL!

Last week I was driving home with the top down and was sitting at a stop sign just before my street. As I make the left onto my road, this woman in a Sentra with her windows down stuck her head clear-out of her window to shout "I LOOOVE YOUR CAAARRRR!!!"..... like....REALLY loudly... It's been a while since I had a convertible in the stable, so it actually kinda startled me.

You really can't own a 124 without accepting the level of attention that both you and the car will get doing everyday things... in part because they're really rare here. I have seen one, all red Abarth in my travels to and from work...but that's it really...

500 Abarths love to waive and flash their headlights and say hi... I am half-tempted next year at picking up one to daily at some point...

·
Registered
2017 Abarth
11 Posts
I get that "Ferrari" comment a lot. Yesterday some kids about eight or nine years old were walking by and saw my Abarth. They stopped and stared. I got the same reaction from kids when I had my BMW Z-3. I just tried out the new Camaro with 650 hp. I can have one for $50,000 and my Abarth. Think I'll stick with the Abarth:)

One time at a light there was a guy in a 392 Challenger revving and basically asking me (in a friendly way) if I wanted to go head to head..... first off... save that sh!t for the track.... secondly...I had to shout "Dude....it's a 1.4 liter!".... I guess he just saw/heard 4 exhaust outlets and made a whole slew of assumptions. ;)

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^ I have so many stories from when I first picked up my Abarth (my wife named him Ghost)… It's remarkable to me the reactions you get...particularly from fellow gearheads who still don't seem to know what the car is but love the sound of it. And this all started from the day I picked Ghost up.

I've had people follow me into a gas station just to ask me about it.... or try and mask the fact that they are walking around their car to try and get a better look at the badges on mine...lol...

I had half a mind to sorta share all of the funny interactions I've had while driving/modding in the equivalent of a build/ownership thread....but I haven't found an off topic/sub section where that kind of long-form-ish posting would make sense and not annoy (I was a frequent poster on s2Ki back in the day when I had one).

The other upside to this was that my wife took over daily duties with Taz (our Fiesta ST). Our garage is filled with tiny terrors...lol..:

View attachment 75402

In the back of the pic above you can see that I basically have 6 sets of wheels for 2 cars if you include the stockers :shrugs:... This was in winter so both cars are riding on Sparco Terras...
With the right tire this is my favorite winter ride... I just wish we had the option for the GT hardtop, or better options than are currently around:

View attachment 75403
Swap garages.....Please.. IMG_0002.JPG

·
Registered
2017 Abarth
11 Posts
I definitely feel your pain... This is the first garage I have personally owned (bought my house 2 years ago)... I would have given my left arm for your garage for years living in the middle of DC.

I was looking at your build posts/pics in another thread. Gotta say, I am humbled by how much you've managed to do with the space you have! If I had hair I'd have ripped it out in the attempts..lol.. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are you guys getting the same?
I stopped once for a construction delay, and the worker asked what kind of car it was. He then said what did it cost around $100K? I said yes. :cool:
[/QUOTE]

61 - 70 of 70 Posts