Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Lab is essentially my best buddy. And I would like to begin taking her for sunny drives in my 124. She’ll have a doggo seatbelt and goggles. But - with her claws - she will trash the door and dash.

For you folks that drive with a pupper, do you have any suggestions on how to protect the interior?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I roll my passenger window up a little bit for my smaller dog. I got burned with the window fully down as there were claw marks on the paint outside the window slot. I'd rather have window scratches on the top of the window than paint getting torn up personally. The dash may be a bit trickier, I wouldn't think a lab would have any need to reach forward like that into the windshield but what do I know!

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
393 Posts
My dogs do not like my 124. They love the convertible aspect but the lack of space to lay down gets to them - they also really dislike the gurgling exhaust; I think they think it’s another animal trying to get them.

70lb labradoodle and a 100lb bernedoodle.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Picture frame Floor

·
Premium Member
2020 Fiat 124 Abarth, manual, Chiaro Silver, visability, navigation, convenience packages, brembos
193 Posts
Pete is chief of the "Pit" Crew here in Florida. Nothing leaves the shop without a thorough going over.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Would the dog tolerate booties? Cotton sweatsocks might work. Unless he pulls them off and spits them out if the car!
Best regards
Pete
I was thinking the exact same thing. I know the local pet stores here carry dog booties in a variety of sizes...

But there's also a product called Soft Claws that make vinyl covers that you glue over the nails (for both cats and dogs... the dog version is called Soft Paws). I'll provide a link their website, but you can also buy them on Amazon, and some pet stores also carry them. Not being a dog person, I can't provide a testamonial as to how well they work. I can tell you that with cats, it's a mixed bag. Part of the fun is actually getting them on, but the bigger issue with cats is that they continually shed their nail sheaths... so when they shed the sheath (and the soft claw that was glued over it), what gets exposed is a feline cat nail sharper than a razor blade. For that reason, they're a fail for cats. But if dogs don't shed nail sheaths, then that too could be a great option. (they also come in colours in case you want to accessorize your dog outfits with nail covers). Anyway, here's the link to the soft claws site: Sof Paws® Nail Caps for Dogs

·
Registered
105 Posts
Our two Lakeland Terriers were avid Top down fans and in 20+ years in the Spider, S2000 and Bugeye Sprite not a mark on any part of the interior or exterior. The biggest issue was sliding around on the seats. We had either towels or a cushion that gave them traction, but even without the towel they never made a mark

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
1,049 Posts
I like to tool around with Kimba, my 95 pound GSD. I purchased a 2x4 foot sheet of 3/4 inch particle board and used a jig saw to cut it to size so that it fit snugly between the back of the seat all the way up to to firewall in the footrest area. I used a small piece of 2x4 to prop the footwell side up so that the platform was level, front to back. I then purchased some scrap/remnant carpeting at he local flooring store and attached it with contact cement. It gives her a nice secure perch to sit on and enough room to lay down, should she wish, and it protects the upholstery.
Smile Dog Vehicle Motor vehicle Sunglasses

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like to tool around with Kimba, my 95 pound GSD. I purchased a 2x4 foot sheet of 3/4 inch particle board and used a jig saw to cut it to size so that it fit snugly between the back of the seat all the way up to to firewall in the footrest area. I used a small piece of 2x4 to prop the footwell side up so that the platform was level, front to back. I then purchased some scrap/remnant carpeting at he local flooring store and attached it with contact cement. It gives her a nice secure perch to sit on and enough room to lay down, should she wish, and it protects the upholstery.
View attachment 93487
You get some serious dog dad points. Well done.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
523 Posts
Wow...I'm impressed. My dog climbed in the passenger door and went right out the driver's door as soon as I went to sit down the first time I tried to have him ride with me. I bought a dog cover for the seat that's not dissimilar to ones we've had for our other cars. He was having none of it...too small perhaps for him? He's not a big dog, but he's a hearding dog, so who knows.

·
Registered
326 Posts
There's something wrong with my dog. 🙃
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering part Automotive design

1 - 17 of 17 Posts