Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Camshaft Position Senson

In the specs it says by removing the wiper cowling and a plate, I should access the Cam sensor.

I looked at the Plastic cowling that covers the windshield.

I see 2 caps to be removed to get to the bolts. And a rubber liner which is held by clips.

Is there anything else to remove so the wiper cowling comes off.

Do I need to remove the wipers arms or just move the cowling around.

then unbolt a metal access plate
and from here I should see the sensor.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today is a raining day, so I decide to tackle this mysterious Cam Sensor. I have taken pictures so your mind can follow it.
-removed wiper cowl( remove 2 plastic cover at the extreme and remove 2 philips screws
-remove the wiper arm(remove cap and remove nut.
-remover cowl rubber(several clips, with a long nose pliers easly removed.
-Rmove cowl( unhook wiper hose, you have to be careful with not to touch the body, just swade and pull and bend in the middle.
-Black Metal Plate. remove 8 nuts, then you have to loosen the sway bars and remove the middle bar, then you have to remove other screws to move out this long metal pipe(don't what it is) and voila it comes out.

Now where is the sensor, I see this connector its like clipped to the engine. so maybe someone can help me here.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this the Cam Position sensor. There are 2 wires going to the connector, but the harness has three.

I have to unhook and see if right fit. Going back to the car, with a mirror so I can see more.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is this the Cam Position sensor. There are 2 wires going to the connector, but the harness has three.
That is not the camshaft position sensor (CMP). The sensor is bolted to the camshaft bearing housing and faces the camshaft. It is a three (3) wire sensor.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I realized it was not that one, too easy to access. I don't know you guys did it but I have to tip my hat to you. Anyway I still don't see it. Maybe it could be this one. working from the passenger side here 2 pictures.
Is the the one after the connector that you see, you see a bit of yellow. I circled

Is the big round the with some writing the camshaft. tia

Attachments

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally did 2/3 now only the Boost pressure sensor left to be done, This is insame.<BG>

will remove the wheel and see if I can spot it if, yes do it else Magnana. Getting tired at my age.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Finally did 2/3 now only the Boost pressure sensor left to be done, This is insame.<BG>

will remove the wheel and see if I can spot it if, yes do it else Magnana. Getting tired at my age.
It's too easy to remove the wheel not to do so. Get that much out of the way. Although the cam speed sensor is the hardest to get done, the boost sensor was not a piece of cake either.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok guys, Its done, its crazy job, several times I came to the point of quitting, but then once in a while, I would kick myself in the ASS to keep going. That Cam sensor not too easy to spot anyway I posted pictures of how to remove the wiper cowl, the black metal plate and slacking the sway bars. Thanks guys for being helpful and execute this project. I installed everything, one screw fell in the bottom hopefully with a stick I could kick it ou

I just have to install the wipers, too tired to finish tonight, Magnana.
ck
So started the car, went back and forward and no surprise lights. It was a progressive day since it was a holiday here in Canada, but raining as usual this spring, so took the day to tackle the project.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
You are a brave man.

Steve.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Today took the beast for a spin, to get familiarized with the EDL-dynamic + map, for he first 40km took it easy normal driving and once in a while gas it. Then stopped engine off for a minute and started kicking some asses. At 50km, I started noticing some change, but I have to be carefull due to radars or cops.
Then at the end 80km , I reved it in 2nd and 3rd(I felt 2 kickdowns) and I saw a light flashing a couple of times ( I think it was TCS / DSC SYSTEM INDICATOR LIGHT I felt the power.

My tank still has 89 Octane gas, and it was kicking, I was told to put 91 with the EDL. When I fill it up I will go with 91.

An I will close the gap of the plugs.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
You probably should not be flogging it without 91 octane in the tank.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have noticed a little more boost or power in 1st gear, thus a smoother start. Need to drive it more.
tomorrow leaving forToronto for a couple days, all Highway, so when I get into Ontarion, my tank should be almost empty and fill with 91 octane. Then after 60km will test the beast

With the Abarth, I have the stock exhause, DV+ and the V1 and original air filter.

I still didn't gap the plugs, but I might do it when in Toronto.

In the EDL I installed the dynamic + map, some have the RACE+ map, but have the V4 installed along aftermarket exhaust.

With the present setting I have and gap the plugs, is anyone there with Racing + map. That is will the
I knowsome have the V4 and aftermarket exhaust and installed the RACE + map.

maybe Greg can jump into this.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
I really suggest driving on the Dynamic map for a while, then change it to race if you feel you want more. On the Dynamic map you don't need to worry about the spark plugs.

Greg

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had 1/4 of tank of the 89oct and filled it 32L of 91 oct. Did a couple of Kilometers so gas mixes. So I assume I have a 90.3Oct gas.

I already feel it when starting in first, has more power(its like night and day) every 10 starts I would probably stall 1.5x, especially waiting a long light. Now just pres the gas and car moves. But also don't have to push or rev the can to go in 2nd.

Since the tank is not fully 91 and ECU has not fully adjusted to 91 oct, I still did a little spring 2nd and 3rd while in 1st was modest.
I felt the power much more than stock. I assume once the ECU gets a good taste of the 91oct, it should give me a little more power.
Bottom line a disguised little RED FERRARI. For now I will stay with the Dynamic + map, I have to think that this car has to last longer than me. LOL

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
I am glad you are enjoying the Dynamic+ map. It really is a good map, and that fact that it works well with all stock components is a real plus.

Greg

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have the V4 and the EDL with Race+ tune. I started out with Dynamic, as Greg suggests. I have not felt the need to replace the stock plugs. Also, the light on the dash is the traction control. Your car's mechanics want to spin tires, but its brain is saying no. I resolved that to some degree by putting on stickier tires.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am glad you are enjoying the Dynamic+ map. It really is a good map, and that fact that it works well with all stock components is a real plus.

Greg
I also notice that the although I feel the more power in the lower rev., it's at 3500rpm + plus you feel it more, cause you feel the traction control light flashing and your back sways a little on the shifting 2nd to 3rd. Top RPM was 5300.

Greg, if I want to get a little more boost in the 2500 to 3500 RPM, what map or adjustment needs to be done to this Map, keeping stock components. Looks like I am getting a little more GOURMAND on the power. <BG>

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the V4 and the EDL with Race+ tune. I started out with Dynamic, as Greg suggests. I have not felt the need to replace the stock plugs. Also, the light on the dash is the traction control. Your car's mechanics want to spin tires, but its brain is saying no. I resolved that to some degree by putting on stickier tires.
John one little difference is that your V4 sucks more air, than my poor V1,

I may go with the RACE + map later, just to see the difference. but knowing me, I might keep the Race. >:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts