Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally when I am out and about, I try to park away from the trees to avoid what the birds you know, leave behind. ;) While I've not had much of a problem with bird droppings, Orange County must have a Gazillion Humming Birds, because I frequently find these yellow/orange spots all over. They are very small, about the size of a pin head. There is an urge just to use your fingernail to scrape them off, but that is not very sanitary. This is what I found and really works. It is a mini plastic razor blade kit from Ace Hardware, and since it is plastic, it will not mar the finish. This is the link for the item, Wow all for $1.79. http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=53380276

I have used a small cup hook to store the mini razor blade holder in my garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
I use a microfiber towel and a spritz of water to remove them. My last car, which was black, taught me to never use fingernails, lol.

Those yellow wax-like droppings are a bit of a mystery, as they were unknown during my first 45 years in Southern California (if we are talking about the same thing). I get several on my car each month and I never saw them 15 or more years ago. I've met a few others who are on the same page with me. One guy even had a far out conspiracy theory about them.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i still would not use even a plastic scraper on them. my thoughts keep a couple of those wet naps handy, tear one open set on top of the spot for a few minutes to soften it then wipe it off.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I got a nasty scratch in my hood from wiping off birdshit with a damp paper towel. I had no idea their crap was so abrasive.

Detailer can't fix it. It'll have to go to the body shop. **** birds.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yes, it's definitely important for it to soak until soft before removing. Also, I keep a good coat of Rejex on the paint to repel acid.

·
Registered
483 Posts
a generous coat of wax (my preference is carnauba) tends to keep all that shi.... stuff from bonding too much with the paint. also, our daily thunderstorms keeps **it from setting up too hard. a spray bottle of water or instant detailer with a microfiber cloth in the trunk should do the trick for you...

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
We got those $&#% here in Hawaii too. Cheeky buggers...they make a serious racket when they are nesting (outside my lanai in the palm trees)...and they won't move out of the road while scavenging.... until the VERY LAST SECOND. Haven't hit one yet....Grrrrrr.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We got those $&#% here in Hawaii too. Cheeky buggers...they make a serious racket when they are nesting (outside my lanai in the palm trees)...and they won't move out of the road while scavenging.... until the VERY LAST SECOND. Haven't hit one yet....Grrrrrr.
They are a major pest in Australia and I expect in Hawai'i too - in both places there is a lot of unique native bird life which struggles to cope with the Indian Mynahs taking over.

I've spent quite a bit of time in your State - my late Uncle was on the board of Hawaiian telecom and my late Aunt volunteered at Iolani palace, they lived in the apartments next to the Waialae country club. Sadly following their deaths I have not returned to Hawai'i since. I'll never forget when they took us for dinner at the (I think rather exclusive) Pacific club and our twin 2-year olds drew on the linen tablecloths!

Sorry - went off topic there, reminiscing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts