Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not lock the door during stop at shop without stop the engine. Is there any way to do it?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't think so. It's a deliberate design issue.

Don't leave the car running when it's unattended.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would think this is as stated above a deliberate design issue. in most states it is illegal to leave a motor vehicle unattended while running. the only advantage to doing so is to provide someone the opportunity to steal the car.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I don't think so. It's a deliberate design issue.

Don't leave the car running when it's unattended.
but its so much hard work to push that button. :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am living in Turkey and all cars you can lock without stopping the engine. I think because of US laws they design like this. My concern is start and stop the engine for short period of time. I think it is not good for engine

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
It's illegal in many jurisdictions to leave an engine running in an unattended car. I can't say I'm surprised that it won't allow this,

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I am living in Turkey and all cars you can lock without stopping the engine. I think because of US laws they design like this. My concern is start and stop the engine for short period of time. I think it is not good for engine
So they don't have cars with a Stop/Start feature in Turkey? It's a pretty common feature.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am able to lock the doors from the drivers side while the engine is running.
What happens when you try turning it off and on again (eg cycle between unlock and lock)?

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's not going to damage the engine at all. There are lots of cars these days that will shut down the engine whenever you're stopped to save fuel, then restart it when you touch the accelerator. They start and stop dozens of times a day, by design.

With a fuel-injected engine, restarting takes almost no fuel at all, so the old adage about restarting uses more fuel than idling is no longer true. Carbureted engines had to do a priming thing that did use some fuel, so idling versus stopping was an actual thing in the past.

·
Registered
476 Posts
In Europe they have been using a system for a few years that when you come to a stop like at a red light the engine will shut off and when you leave off the brake the engine restarts, This same system is starting to be found on many newer models. I guess the car companies feel the engine is starter are ok with handling frequent restarts.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There days all cars have this feature start/stop in Turkey too. But at the same time all cars you can lock the door without stop the engine. My opinion yes system saves fuel but more stress other parts ignition or turbo etc. I prefer not stop because it will take 1 minute to buy something from small shop.

·
Registered
845 Posts
In Europe they have been using a system for a few years that when you come to a stop like at a red light the engine will shut off and when you leave off the brake the engine restarts, This same system is starting to be found on many newer models. I guess the car companies feel the engine is starter are ok with handling frequent restarts.
Starters in cars equipped with stop/start technology are different than conventional starters. In a conventional starter the starter motor spins first, then the gear engages the flywheel while turning. Frequent overuse will eventually wear out starter gear teeth, or worse, flywheel teeth.

In a stop/start system, the starter gear engages the flywheel first, then the starter motor spins. The engagement of gears is therefore done under static conditions, saving wear. A discerning ear can hear a faint clunk as the solenoid pushes the starter gear toward the flywheel, followed by the sound of the spinning starter motor.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would think this is as stated above a deliberate design issue. in most states it is illegal to leave a motor vehicle unattended while running. the only advantage to doing so is to provide someone the opportunity to steal the car.
It's also illegal to speed but so far mfgs are not required to limit us to the speed limit. Enough of the nanny state stuff already.....

In hot, humid, sunny south Florida I offen lock my Current car with the engine running when going into a store for a brief moment to keep it cool inside. I'm new here shoping a Spider and I don't like this limitation.

Paul

·
Registered
559 Posts
I live in Louisiana, it takes like 30 seconds to cool down this car if it's parked in the sun. I'd be much more concerned that someone is going to break in and drive off if the engine was left running. Especially since it 's a soft top.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I live in Louisiana, it takes like 30 seconds to cool down this car if it's parked in the sun. I'd be much more concerned that someone is going to break in and drive off if the engine was left running. Especially since it 's a soft top.
I'm not concerned at all.
My current car is a soft top BMW, I have insurance and carry. Why worry, life's two short for that.

Paul

·
Registered
559 Posts
I suppose it might lock with the engine running if you have the locks set to lock when you walk away (with the key). I've never tried it. I know it won't let you lock the keys in the car without making a racket.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts

I'm not concerned at all.
My current car is a soft top BMW, I have insurance and carry. Why worry, life's two short for that.
Will your insurer cover the theft on a left running vehicle? I'd be checking my policy.

Certainly leaving a vehicle in that state here would be illegal and earn you a fine.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Depends on the design of the car, can it be driven without the key nearby?

·
Registered
559 Posts
For keyless cars, they generally can be driven without the key in the car once its started. However, once the engine is stopped you can't restart it without having the key back in the vehicle. This is also true on the 124, as it was on my previous BMW and my wife's current BMW.

Reactions: Roadscum and Seagas

·
Registered
350 Posts
For keyless cars, they generally can be driven without the key in the car once its started. However, once the engine is stopped you can't restart it without having the key back in the vehicle. This is also true on the 124, as it was on my previous BMW and my wife's current BMW.
My Jaguar XF allows to be remote started, but won't drive unless key is on me.

Reactions: Roadscum
1 - 20 of 25 Posts