Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would really like to have metal scuff plates available to protect the black vinyl door sills. I'm always scuffing the door sills getting in and out of the car with the top up. Maybe even with an embossed Spider logo.

Also, has anyone replaced the bulbs for the interior and trunk lights with leds? It would help shorten the search for such a bulb.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Would really like to have metal scuff plates available to protect the black vinyl door sills. I'm always scuffing the door sills getting in and out of the car with the top up. Maybe even with an embossed Spider logo.

Also, has anyone replaced the bulbs for the interior and trunk lights with leds? It would help shorten the search for such a bulb.
I ordered some led strip lights, I will keep the switch in the trunk, add a wire from there to the strip light. If everything goes well, I'll post pictures.

Reactions: jleo and ameridan

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Joe,
I ordered cheap ones from eBay. Here's what you're replacing:

Overhead light: DE3175 (10 Watts)
Trunk light: DE3022 (5 Watts)

They are both the same except for output, so you can get the equivalent LED to replace DE3175 for both, as the trunk could use a brighter light.
I ended up returning them though, as they started blinking after they got too warm. If you find a source for good quality replacements, let us know!

I too would be interested in some nice scuff plates.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Frank, the switch is built into the latch. The cleanest install might be to feed off of the trunk lamp bulb terminals. That way you can use the AUTO/OFF switch in the lamp housing to manually turn the LEDs off if desired. There is a timer involved in the circuit, so the LEDs will only stay lit for about 15 minutes if the lid is left open.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The new 2017 Miata RF Launch Edition has really nice aluminum sill plate caps. It would be nice to get a 124 version. I saw it on a Miata forum. I unsuccessfully tried to post the photo here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just order the DE3175 Sylvania led bulbs. They are $9.99 pretty much everywhere. They should be pretty bright. I had replaced all of the interior light bulbs in my Honda Odyssey van, and it's bright enough to shoot a movie at night!

I saw the pictures of the door sill plates on the Mazda forum, and they are exactly what I would be looking for from Fiat or an aftermarket source.

Joe

·
Registered
727 Posts
They're certainly eye catching. Would the Miata scuff plate work in the 124 Spider?
Possibly, but I'd do a side by side comparison at a Miata dealer first. Secondly, you'd need a self-adhesive 124 or Abarth badge to cover up the Miata logos (I believe they have another logo which is shorter than "Launch Edition" and simply says "MX-5") and/or see if that entire black strip comes off with a heat gun. Lastly, we can be patient and wait for Fiat or the aftermarket to produce something.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here in the U.K, Mazda sell replacement LED bulbs for the interior and the boot.

They are great and really bright, and Give off a nice white light.

I bought them from a Mazda parts supplier.

Also following on the scuff plates!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Possibly, but I'd do a side by side comparison at a Miata dealer first. Secondly, you'd need a self-adhesive 124 or Abarth badge to cover up the Miata logos (I believe they have another logo which is shorter than "Launch Edition" and simply says "MX-5") and/or see if that entire black strip comes off with a heat gun. Lastly, we can be patient and wait for Fiat or the aftermarket to produce something.
a quote from willie wonka, "i want it all and i want it now"
the wait for accessories has been a tough one. not much trickling out to feed the need. when spring rolls about i will probably be talking with a local sign shop to have something made if they still have no graphics out for them.

·
Registered
958 Posts
On Amazon I found an LED light kit for the Miata for $18.98. Free shipping and 5 star reviews. The vendor is EliteTech. The have kits in different colors for a lot of different cars. At that price, I took a chance on them. I'll let you know how they turn out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Waiting for a Fiat OEM or aftermarket part is probably the smartest thing to do. For those who can't wait, you could take the Mazda plate and cut out a piece of a black non-skid strip and match it to the area in question. Cutting the curves would be a bit tricky but not impossible. The adhesive on these strips is quite strong. Just an idea.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts