Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing my MX5 door sills (yes, they say MX5 ....but hey!!! ...we're 70% Mazda ...lol), and yes they fit perfectly, just like MX5's would. It is very easy to do if one pops the plastic door sill out of the car, and does the job in your house. ....just pop straight up ...there are a half dozen plastic push clips that hold and position the plastic strip in place. I bought mine from OEMAutoPartz.com, and I gave $84 plus shipping. It probably would be best to call and order, because they ask for a VIN# and our VIN#'s do not match with Mazda Miata VIN #'s, so you will get a return email asking, "are you sure these will fit?" ....yep they will, for we have MX5 interiors.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I have no problem with the car's Mazda origins, but I think that being greeted by "MX5" when I open the door would be a step too far.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
What has this board come to, there's some doing everything to remove any sign or word Mazda from the Spider and now we have guys putting MX5 sills to it:confused::confused::eek::(

·
Super Moderator
948 Posts
well, it is kind of funny!

What has this board come to, there's some doing everything to remove any sign or word Mazda from the Spider and now we have guys putting MX5 sills to it:confused::confused::eek::(
Yes, but we better be happy with it coming from Hiroshima, and it's built on the same line as the ND, by the same people. A "Fiata"?
All I care is that it's a blast to drive. Mx-5 metal doorsills sound like a good mod!

Pete

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A call to my dealer about door sill trim yielded a surprise; they had a set in stock!

I retrieved and installed them within the last hour.

The first surprise was that they don't replace the existing part but instead adhere with double-face tape.
The second surprise will become evident as I describe the installation.

The first order of business is cleaning existing door sills (alcohol pads provided) and then cutting out the provided templates (two for each side).

The first and larger template is next aligned and taped to the sill.

This template (smoothed before I took the next step) marks the area to which the provided adhesion promoter is applied.

Adhesion promoter is applied, the template removed, and area allowed to dry.
The second template is then aligned and taped to the front of door sill.

Protective covering removed from the double-faced tape; the sill trim is aligned with the template and then firmly pressed into place.

Finally, the protective plastic is removed.

Second surprise ... the Launch Edition plaque remains in its factory position. :thumbs:

The installation is similar to that for the current Mazda3.
Though I'm not certain they're worth the list price, my club discount (and price from Rosenthal) in the $80+ range) adds a nice touch and further protects from scuffs (some of which can be seen in the pre-install pic of my 6k car even after cleaning).

I pulled this post from the Miata.Forum site, under the ND discussion group. This posting gives good detail on how to properly install the pieces. Pikeman, this is it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just finished installing my MX5 door sills (yes, they say MX5 ....but hey!!! ...we're 70% Mazda ...lol), and yes they fit perfectly, just like MX5's would. It is very easy to do if one pops the plastic door sill out of the car, and does the job in your house. ....just pop straight up ...there are a half dozen plastic push clips that hold and position the plastic strip in place. I bought mine from OEMAutoPartz.com, and I gave $84 plus shipping. It probably would be best to call and order, because they ask for a VIN# and our VIN#'s do not match with Mazda Miata VIN #'s, so you will get a return email asking, "are you sure these will fit?" ....yep they will, for we have MX5 interiors.
ok the big questions is how is the MX-5 graffix on there? Is it silk screened/painted or decal/vinyl. basically can it be removed and how easy? if too hard to remove and if it isn't too raised maybe i can just cover it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
ok the big questions is how is the MX-5 graffix on there? Is it silk screened/painted or decal/vinyl. basically can it be removed and how easy? if too hard to remove and if it isn't too raised maybe i can just cover it.
Curious about the H X W dimensions of the MX-5 logo, as well as the height of the white outline. The MX-5 logo could be covered with a self-adhesive Abarth or Fiat badge. I have a couple of ideas in mind.

·
Registered
727 Posts
SteveWy,

Any chance there were any supplier markings on the backside, stencil or the packaging? I'll volunteer to try and contact said supplier to hopefully convince them to make non-labelled scuff plates available for us 124 owners ;)
That would be great. Ameridan, you are the best!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone had any movement on this? I really need something my car is less than a month old and the door sills are already scuffed

·
Registered
476 Posts
i am actually thinking of getting the mx5 ones, just not attach with their double sided tape. Get a much lighter type of tape, so that i can remove the plate and replace it when the 124 version finally arrives.

·
Banned
425 Posts
I'm thinking I will just get some of that vinyl with the carbon fiber design and cut it to size. I liked that carbon fiber look when I was checking out the 4C.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts