Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. When I've tried to use Drag and Drop to include a photo or 2 into a message directly from my W-10 computer (using Firefox, Explorer, and Chrome), DD is rotating the image 90 or 180 degrees. This has happened with both vertical and horizontal photos. It happens as soon as the DD thumbnail view appears, and when I preview the message, the full size image is rotated. My work-around is to copy the image link from a photo hosting service (like Photobucket) and insert the link right into the message.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

Steve.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Curious about the answer as well. My iPad flips photos but not my Mac desktop.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, photo captured on a Samsung Galaxy 4, then emailed to myself using Gmail, downloaded to the Windows computer (mostly a W10 desktop, same results with a W8 laptop). No editing of the photo in any way, straight jpeg captured by the camera app that came loaded on the phone, whatever app that might be.

Thanks,
Steve.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lack of talent!

Honestly, I hate using the phone as a computer.

Steve

·
Administrator
401 Posts
Why not drag and drop directly from your phone?
I don't think you can use the drag and drop from the phone the same way as using it on the computer. but there's something about the images formatted by your mobile device that flips it.

http://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-photos-upside-down/
If you’re a Windows user, you’ve probably noticed that some of your iPhone photos and videos are upside down when you save them to your computer. Even if you never leave the Apple ecosystem, your photos will usually be upside down when you email them to friends who have the Windows operating system
this explains why and its the same reasoning behind other mobile devices. which has something to do with the EXIF tags.

To make sure that your photos are displayed correctly, your iPhone adds information about the correct rotation of the photo to the properties of each image, which are specified in EXIF tags.
Lee

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the long reply delay. I don't think that link was directly related to me. In my 2-17-17, 6:56pm reply, I stated I shot the photos with my Samsung Galaxy 4 phone. I don't own an iPhone.

The only message thread I've posted photos to was this one, showing the gear shift knobs I'm making. (Photos showing the knob in the car are not my photos.)
http://www.124spider.org/forum/89-fiat-124-spider-parts-accessories/8841-replace-stock-manual-gear-shifter-knob.html
Some are landscape format, some are portrait format. For whatever reason, these images came out properly. Others I tried to link/insert/attach did not, so I simply deleted those photos from the message. I do not recall how I was holding the phone (as mentioned in the iPhone link provided). I guess I'll have to pay attention to the phone orientation and see what happens.

I also don't know why some photos link as only thumbnail attachments, while others show the full size image in the body of the message.

Thank you.
Steve.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Trying not to get into a 'phone/windows/mac' war, but windows often does not honor the orientation of pictures from third party camera systems.

I don't have issues with Mac/iPhone - same ecosystem will often just work together, but iPhone/Windows doesn't.

Either way, it is often a good idea to 'adjust and resize' the image before posting to the forum; conversion to a lower quality JPEG will significantly reduce the image size, without a major loss of optical fidelity. I believe we are 'limited' on the total size of attachments and posts: a camera image straight from the camera can be a couple of Mb in size. Simply re-saving from your favorite image editor can cut the size down to, sometimes, a tenth.

I have used (Windows) Paint, Paint.NET and Photoshop. In Mac, I've used Pixelmator. This is also an opportunity to 'enhance' the quality of the image. For example, a bright picture (white car) with dark wheels, if you are trying to show the wheel, will show it as very dark and dingy (in a shadow). Adjusting the effective exposure up a bit will brighten the wheel, without overexposing the bright white of the car. Very few of us can get the picture exposure correct from the camera, especially a poor quality phone snap-shot.

·
Administrator
401 Posts
Hey,

I did a little research and it seems like this direction issue is not exclusive to iPhones now. We have some developers looking into writing a plugin that should help with that but it will take them some time.

~Sheena

1 - 12 of 12 Posts