Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this video today. Apologies if it has been shared previously.

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
A Tesla pulling a trailer with a Cayman is even faster. I don’t care about that race either.
I’m not into drag racing. No rant.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
778 Posts
Rematch with tuned turbo on the spider. Can't tune the no turbo on the mazda

Reactions: Kent and anty

·
Registered
213 Posts
The 124 is more like a bird not a bullet. Why can’t they get that

Reactions: Kent

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I came across this video today. Apologies if it has been shared previously.
I've watched this a few times and come to the conclusion that the guy in the 124 can't drive. His starts are garbage, and his shifts are too early and slow. Just watch the nose of his car dive every time he shifts. He even admits he's the lesser driver.

·
Registered
778 Posts
So how would that match finish with same cars but swapped drivers twotons?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
So how would that match finish with same cars but swapped drivers twotons?
My guess? Considering the Miata is the easier car for the lesser driver to deal with, I think it would be a lot closer, but I think the other driver would win in the Fiat IF it was driven properly. Here's a guy doing low 6's in a Lusso. Eyeballing it I think it's a touch faster than the 6.5 he's states in the video.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Not sure how much credence to give the bad driver theory considering the published 0 to 60 times for the mazda being a half second quicker.

Think the spider requires about a phase 2 tune to catch up in that department.

Reactions: melandat

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not sure how much credence to give the bad driver theory considering the published 0 to 60 times for the mazda being a half second quicker.

Think the spider requires about a phase 2 tune to catch up in that department.
And considering that Performance based (but cheaper-looking ) Hondas, Hyundais, and Toyota coupes beat the 124 in published 0-60 times, I'm not going to dignify stoplight duels with a response. The 124 Looks much better and sounds much better, but that is just for show. It's just not a drag strip car where the striking visuals and exhaust note mean it's going to kill anything on a straight line.

·
Registered
778 Posts
quite true. i had an SS camaro before my spider, kept both for a time after the spider purchase. it was sub 4 second 0-60, and i sold it because the spider fun factor is way higher.

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Okay, so to toss some petrol onto the speculation pyre, I wonder how it would compare if the Spider was coupled to a 1.8l turbo. Something a bit closer in displacment to the naturally aspirated Mazda. I see no real shame in the performance, when you cosnider that our engine is 30% smaller than what's in the Mazda.

·
Registered
636 Posts
It's the hole shot of the Mazda that wins the race in the first 2 seconds. In drag racing it's all about the hole shot...nearly impossible to catch up on the top end.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Not much get up and go until the turbo is spooled.

Reactions: Phillip33

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
4,006 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Stock for stock Miata always wins, no one should doubt this.

How many people that care about drag racing and wouldn’t tune their spider though...

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts