Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For awhile I've been noticing these clicking/ticking noises that seem to be most noticeable when accelerating hard from a stop, and/or reversing up a steepish hill (driveway). When in my office's parking garage, I can hear a faint repetitive ticking noise when turning left corners.

Not terribly familiar with the driveline of this car but this can't be a normal sound could it? Anyone else with similar noises? Video to come.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Did the noise start after the new exhaust? I noticed twisting in the differential. Isolation mounted perhaps? Does the clicking happen during braking?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did the noise start after the new exhaust? I noticed twisting in the differential. Isolation mounted perhaps? Does the clicking happen during braking?
Honestly I don't remember if it started before or after. I noticed the twisting in the differential too, am I wrong to assume a little play is normal?

I haven't noticed any clicking when braking.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My first thought was a caliper. Your video somewhat disproves that.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My first thought was a caliper. Your video somewhat disproves that.
I have a feeling it may be related to my trans/diff or perhaps an engine mount. Debating taking it into the dealer at this point.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I get that noise constantly when I accelerate slowly from a stop. I simply thought that was just a normal fiat sound. Kudos for the awesome under-carriage video!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I get that noise constantly when I accelerate slowly from a stop. I simply thought that was just a normal fiat sound. Kudos for the awesome under-carriage video!
Glad you liked it! :) Is yours an auto by chance?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think it's coming from the automatic transmission. I've seen other reports of this on the forums, and to my knowledge everyone who reports it has an auto.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could be wrong, but I think it's coming from the automatic transmission. I've seen other reports of this on the forums, and to my knowledge everyone who reports it has an auto.
That's my thought as well, but I can't really imagine what inside the trans could be making that specific noise. It sounds like it does it only under heavy load/tension.

Just worried about breaking something, lol.

·
Banned
210 Posts
I believe I've heard that sound a couple times in my manual since I've picked it up but it seems like it's quieter in mine. I'm emptying out my glove box today just to make sure it's nothing moving around in there.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe I've heard that sound a couple times in my manual since I've picked it up but it seems like it's quieter in mine. I'm emptying out my glove box today just to make sure it's nothing moving around in there.
Interesting, I wonder if some folks might be confusing this noise I'm experiencing with the AC compressor click that happens when it engages.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Interesting, I wonder if some folks might be confusing this noise I'm experiencing with the AC compressor click that happens when it engages.
I have yet to turn AC on in my car.

·
Banned
210 Posts
I'm jealous, we've been getting some serious heat this summer.
Vancouver BC has some great car weather... if only we could stop the rain.

Reactions: rglass

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Any ideas or others having similar noises? Is it normal for the diff to twist that much? I'm likely going to bring it up to my dealer during the car's next service.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I have yet to turn AC on in my car.
You're not the only one, here in Quebec, daylight is going down, summer has not yet settled, I could count on my finger tips the days we had in high 2x c.

·
Registered
872 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts