Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I drove my spider at night for the first time last night, it's only taken me 13 months! The first thing I noticed was the reflection from the 7" infotainment screen on the windscreen. As the spirited drive went on this became more and more of an irritation.

I have search the forum but not found an reference to this. I cannot believe this hasn't been raised before.

I like to have the sat nav on for the info about the road ahead.

Thoughts.
Thanks ..Danny

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm not sure how the info-screen can reflect on the windshield since the info-screen is in front. Can you explain a bit more? Is it too bright? Turn down the brightness in night mode?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I may not have this exactly right but the night setting for lights made the screen and dash hard to see during the day and the day setting makes the dash and screen to bright at night - at least for me. I keep it on the day setting and at night turn the little knob by the rpm gauge counter clockwise 1 click to "dull" the dash and screen.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I may not have this exactly right but the night setting for lights made the screen and dash hard to see during the day and the day setting makes the dash and screen to bright at night - at least for me. I keep it on the day setting and at night turn the little knob by the rpm gauge counter clockwise 1 click to "dull" the dash and screen.
There's a setting in the infotainment screen to auto dim it at night.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I keep it on the day setting and at night turn the little knob by the rpm gauge counter clockwise 1 click to "dull" the dash and screen.
That's interesting. When I turn the knob, it only dims the dash not the screen.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the tips so far. Just to confirm I wasn't seeing thing I have just been out to the garage to 'test' the problem.

In a dark garage I can see an inverted image of the info screen on the windscreen. I then made a simple hood from black plastic, like a camera lens, 50mm wide and the image disappears - result.

Now for a Fiat/Mazda solution. I am on auto lights, turning the stick on the dash made no difference. Going into the system menu an selecting 'night' mode dims to an acceptable level - but it is still there.

So I accept I am not the normal Fiat/ modern car driver and I will use the night level setting. But next time I go for a fast blast in the dark and that image gets in my line of sight I will be making a hood for the infotainment screen.

Sometimes technology just gets in the way!
Rant over ...Danny

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm not sure how the info-screen can reflect on the windshield since the info-screen is in front. Can you explain a bit more? Is it too bright? Turn down the brightness in night mode?
He said windscreen, not windshield. I think perhaps he has a Plexiglas windscreen installed in between the seatback hoops, and his Nav screen is reflecting on that. That is not an issue with the factory windscreen in the softtop. The RF could be a different story.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
He said windscreen, not windshield. I think perhaps he has a Plexiglas windscreen installed in between the seatback hoops, and his Nav screen is reflecting on that. That is not an issue with the factory windscreen in the softtop. The RF could be a different story.
Ah, but he's a Brit and can't talk proper;) Seriously, though, yes, if it's a plexiglass windscreen then I can't see how it will not reflect unless the infotainment system display is off, or the windscreen is tilted up or down in some way.

I must admit, having quick access to the display off button would be nice...something of a winter project, to explore the infotainment configuration.

·
Registered
850 Posts
He said windscreen, not windshield. I think perhaps he has a Plexiglas windscreen installed in between the seatback hoops, and his Nav screen is reflecting on that. That is not an issue with the factory windscreen in the softtop.

USA is to windshield as UK is to windscreen!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, thanks for your thoughts and you are right we share many things but parts of the English language isn't one of them.

I am away now for a few days but when I get back I will try to photo the image on the windcreen - the one at the front of the car with the wipers on it.

Thanks.... Danny

·
Registered
79 Posts
That would be helpful... as a Brit, I too am wondering how something which faces backwards can reflect from a structure in front of it.

I use the auto-dim and don't even think about it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
After reading this I went out to dinner tonight and made a point to see if I noticed anything.
The reflection is up behind the rear view mirror. At 6’ 2” I had to lean forward just a bit and look up to see it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
There is a way to adjust the brightness and contrast of the infotainment screen. Go to home and select the settings app. Under display there is an option for auto which changes with the headlight sensors. Night which is about 30 % full brightness. And Day which is full brightness. You can also tweak this with the contrast and brightness controls on the same screen. No this is for the 7 inch full system. I do not know if the base system allows for this.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sometimes technology just gets in the way!
Rant over ...Danny
You are so right! Putting a TV screen in cars like everybody's got a Batmobile is now "mandatory fun" thanks to our government and the, uh, perks given them to make backup cameras mandatory. So, sure, some kid on a tricycle directly behind mom won't get run over. But now mom will be focusing on something inside the car instead of outside of it and run over someone else's child on a tricycle in some other driving scenario. Solve one problem and create another. I just wish all the mandatory fun like airbags and TV screens were OPTIONAL. When I first saw pics of the 124's interior, I thought that screen might fold down. THAT would have been nice, too. I hate having it there with nothing useful on it 99% of the time, especially when I'm racing.

Rant over, lol ;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
After reading this I went out to dinner tonight and made a point to see if I noticed anything.
The reflection is up behind the rear view mirror. At 6’ 2” I had to lean forward just a bit and look up to see it.
I saw it this morning too. but for my height I had to lean forward a bit. Most of it is blocked by the rearview mirror for me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's a height thing!

Many thanks for your comments especially those who also see an image

Now to some conclusions.
1. The infotainment screen does project an image onto the front windscreen ( windshield ). If you are short, I am 5' 8"tall it is in your line of sight. I am posting a photo taken at about my head height. But a much better visual image is on the video posted by ferretgt500 or go to his post - 124 saved my life. http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...www.reddit.com/r/Roadcam/com...m_name=Roadcam

You will clearly see the infotainment image in the centre of the windscreen probably due to the dash cam being mounted on the wind deflector.

You can make it less obvious my changing the display setting to night - this helps.

My longterm solution will be the rubber hood / cover I talked about in the first post.

Many thanks for the inputs - - my sanity is no longer in question.
Danny

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts