Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm mere hours away from taking my new Abarth out on a long weekend mountain trip. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how hard I should push her? Around the city I only ever really get to 3-4k revs. What should be my average RPM if I'm pushing it around some bends?

If it's relevant, I purchased a demo with 2,000 kms on it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Some folks will say to drive it like you stole it, others will tell you to baby it for a few hundred miles. Frankly, I didn't do either and just drove it as I would normally drive (didn't drive it like I stole it until 800-900 miles). I'd recommend doing the same but throw in a few stretches where you push it to 4-5k revs a few times. As long as you aren't lugging the engine at a constant low RPM or flogging it to redline, there's not much to worry about - have fun!

·
Registered
114 Posts
With a stock tune you'll probably want to shift at 5500 when making the most of a mountain road. Power drops off after that so no reason to push it harder. This gives you a wide margin of safety (on top of the rev limiter) so I don't consider making full use of the power band as even remotely pushing it. Bottom line, if you are not regularly seeing 5500 RPM, you are doing something wrong! ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you don't already have a good feel for the transmission and how it makes use of the engines power, then that would be one area to start with from my opinion. But if you really feel like its lacking power, a tune might be in order.

·
Registered
958 Posts
IMHO, once it is warmed up, the car will protect itself from whatever you try to do to it at the high end. The rev limiter will not only protect the engine, it will teach you that you don't want to wait that long to shift. The worst thing you can do, that it can't protect itself from, is to bog it down, trying to get it to pull from really low rpms.

(Caution: The car cannot protect itself, or you, from trees, road signs, guard rails, bridge abutments or oncoming traffic.)

·
Registered
575 Posts
I agree with @JFernald. Drive however you feel like after it reaches optimal temperature. Just know what you're doing and be careful. Also make sure you don't downshift into the wrong gear and you'll be alright haha

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I'm in the drive it likeyou stole it camp but I'm with JFernald's advice

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Drive it like you stole it, after warmed up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Since it had 2,000 kms on it when you got it, I don't think you have to be concerned with the break-in period for a new car. One of the nice things about the Spider is that you have great low-end torque - so you don't have to rev it up super high to get the power you need. Have a great ride, enjoy, and be safe!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the responses. Some very useful advice. I will be sure to stay safe and will hopefully be able to get some nice pictures of the car!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I shift my Abarth up to the 6000 rpm doing lively "laps" around town with no issue. Have a 6 speed gear box. Taking a trip to the Mimbres Mountains in NM for some Memorial day fun

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Being of the old school, I was told, after warm up, treat you car like a Lady when In first, after that, well you [email protected]!$$#^&%$$&&. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts