Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to work out which lights are the Daytime Running Lights on cars with the standard halogen set-up. As far as I can tell, I don't have anything lighting up, however, as I understand it, the DRL's are only active when the cars moving. I left early this morning for a drive - before dawn - and my experiments with the light switches in various positions would suggest I didn't have any DRL's. I checked in the car settings and DRL is enabled.

So, with the lights being operated manually, I have the following:

Side Lights:

Main Beam:

Full / High Beam:

So which should be illuminated for the DRL's? If it's just the side lights, that would make sense because the amount of light being output by them is pretty meager. But if it's either the main beams or full beams, it would seem I have a problem somewhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
They come on in gear with the parking brake off. I can see them on in the reflection of a car in front of me, even at a stop light. I think they come out of the high beam reflector, but dimmer than the high beam.

Yes, the high beam doubles as the DRLs:

https://21stcenturyfiat124spider.wordpress.com/specs/#bulbs

I always have my headlights switched to “auto”, maybe that’s a requirement for the DRLs to come on. Obviously they have to be enabled in the settings, too.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They come on in gear with the parking brake off. I can see them on in the reflection of a car in front of me, even at a stop light. I think they come out of the high beam reflector, but dimmer than the high beam.

Yes, the high beam doubles as the DRLs:

https://21stcenturyfiat124spider.wordpress.com/specs/#bulbs

I always have my headlights switched to “auto”, maybe that’s a requirement for the DRLs to come on. Obviously they have to be enabled in the settings, too.
Hmm - wonder if they run lower power for the DLRs if they are using the full beams. Or if the 'auto' light sensor switches them off after dark (to prevent you running round with your full beams on by accident). Need to do some more experimentation.

Of course, the led bulbs I stuck in there yesterday could also be the issue....;)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yes, in the standard halogen lighting configuration, the same bulb fulfills the mission of both high beam and daytime running lights.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, in the standard halogen lighting configuration, the same bulb fulfills the mission of both high beam and daytime running lights.
Yeah - don’t think LEDs are going to work in there. Oh well.

·
Registered
352 Posts
(and they go off when you come to a stop and pull up the handbrake, and go an again once you start moving)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Most setups that i have seen that use the high beams as the DRL's run the bulbs at a lower voltage so they don't contribute to an early burnout of the high beams. In fact a number of manufactures actually run the two high beam bulbs in series when being used as DRL's thereby only sending 6 volts to each bulb. A normal halogen filament bulb will work with this setup. An LED bulb would probably not work.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered set of Philips X-Treme Vision halogens for the full beams / DRLs - think that's as good as its going to get unless you are happy to live without DRLs (which you might be).

Not a big deal - the LEDs for the dipped beams, fogs and side lights all look pretty good. Wonder if I'll be able to get the double sided tape off the LED control unit enough to be able to return them. $80 mistake if I can't :-/

·
Registered
383 Posts
I added LED high beams to my car, I can confirm the DRL stops working. Only time they work now after bulb replacement is when I apply my high beams.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No idea how the Spider is doing it, but in many cars it's a resister on the high beam putting out 50 or 55% power IIRC.

·
Registered
64 Posts
On European spec cars, the daylight running lights are the ones in the inside corner of the light unit. Closest to the grille.

Bizarrely they only come on when you release the handbrake and move forwards. Stop at a junction and put the handbrake on and they switch off.

The LED ring can be switched on by the sidelights switch.

The headlamp is the large bulb in the middle of the LED ring that's not illuminated

·
Registered
16 Posts
On European spec cars, the daylight running lights are the ones in the inside corner of the light unit. Closest to the grille.

Bizarrely they only come on when you release the handbrake and move forwards. Stop at a junction and put the handbrake on and they switch off.

The LED ring can be switched on by the sidelights switch.

The headlamp is the large bulb in the middle of the LED ring that's not illuminated

Where is the sidelight switch?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts