Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The e brake light has started randomly coming on while driving. Often when shifting but sometimes just when driving down the road. No one has touched it, and if you shake it usually it will go off. Does it on and off the entire drive. Suggestions as to cause or what to do? Thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
First suggestion would be to double check the fluid in your master cylinder. Many manufacturers use the e-brake light as a warning that your brake fluid is getting low.

But more likely, it is the switch at the base of the e-brake lever. Have you ever taken your centre console apart or replaced your e-brake boot? Sometimes a replacement of the boot will prevent the lever from sitting all the way down.

My money is on the ebrake lever switch, but as to why it's acting up,....?

·
Registered
476 Posts
For sure I would start with checking the fluid level to be sure it's ok for peace of mind, but not too likely to be low at this point unless there is a leak, certainly wouldn't expect from brake wear. Usually a good indication is it comes on just as you brake or accelerate or go fast around a corner/ramp and then goes back off after a few moments. My money too would be on the PARKING brake lever switch, especially as it seems like you said that if you wiggle the parking brake lever it goes out. Maybe out of adjustment, maybe something preventing the lever from going to full relaxed position, maybe just a bad switch.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Like above, I would touch lightly the hand brake to see if light is on, same with the brake fluid, knock on it or some loose wire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts