Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
425 Posts
I have zero experience but I am interested in taking it on the track. No roll bar required?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have zero experience but I am interested in taking it on the track. No roll bar required?
It depends on the group. I run with NCRC regularly and they do a "broomstick test". Basically place a bar over the windshield to the roll bar / hoops. If your head clears by an inch or more with the helmet on, you're okay.

Seriously, I'd recommend a roll bar though. I am hesitant to try for the limits of the car without it. It's on my immediate list of items to do.

·
Banned
425 Posts
It depends on the group. I run with NCRC regularly and they do a "broomstick test". Basically place a bar over the windshield to the roll bar / hoops. If your head clears by an inch or more with the helmet on, you're okay.

Seriously, I'd recommend a roll bar though. I am hesitant to try for the limits of the car without it. It's on my immediate list of items to do.
Thanks! Good information and appreciate the video. Very enjoyable.

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
To anybody reading the thread, if you flip at track speed with stock hoops....YOU LIKELY DIE.

Whether a track group allows is not a good reason to do it.

Stock hoops are intended to give you 'some' low speed event protection. That means it should help when you get T-boned at intersection speeds and have a 15mph low speed roll after you get pushed into the curb, etc. Stock hoops will NOT prevent you getting crushed in the 'mouse trap' this setup makes with a flip at track speeds.

The thick plastic over stock hoop hides just 1 inch ALUMINUM tube as you can see below. Check the charts for bar thickness standards by car weight for track speed forces and this is not within miles of enough to save you. Thus, STRONGLY suggest real roll product for anybody planning track days that is made to SCCA and NASA specs like this one...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
To anybody reading the thread, if you flip at track speed with stock hoops....YOU LIKELY DIE.
So much ^^^THIS^^^!!!

Remember, I was not running wide open. Simply testing the car and not trying to max it out. While the organizing body will let you run, even they will tell you that it is not recommended. You may pass broomstick test, but it doesn't mean your any safer.

Please don't take your car out to the track without roll-bars if you are going to push the car hard (btw, if you can swing the cost, the Blackbird Good-win carries would be so worth it!). As mentioned earlier, it's an immediate to-do before I get that car back out there.

Also, if anyone is thinking of COMPETING with a spider, you'll need more than a roll-bar. You'll want a full cage. Something like Mazdaspeed's own

http://rev9autosport.com/mazdaspeed-roll-bar.html

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
God, I want the roll bar for daily driving.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As someone who's crashed on the track before, I would second everyone's sentiment on the roll bars. Not to bag the OP or anything, I mean, great video!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As someone who's crashed on the track before, I would second everyone's sentiment on the roll bars. Not to bag the OP or anything, I mean, great video!
Rock, I don't take it as "bagging". If you check a couple of posts above, I agree with roll-bars. Again, this was baseline testing. Not going all out for time / speed, and not competition. :)

Also, it's actually a really bad location for the GoPro. Shakes like crazy. I had to use a lot of editing to reduce the shaking. ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Rock, I don't take it as "bagging". If you check a couple of posts above, I agree with roll-bars. Again, this was baseline testing. Not going all out for time / speed, and not competition. :)

Also, it's actually a really bad location for the GoPro. Shakes like crazy. I had to use a lot of editing to reduce the shaking. ;)

:)

I noted that :) I've been looking at most of the on-board videos from reviews etc - most seem to locate their cameras on either the window or windscreen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts