Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, just a quick one regarding installing a catch can. I got the EC one, and just wanted to check if I need to get a nut to install the bracket on the car? I've got an AT Abarth, and I know it goes towards the back, but mine doesn't seem to have a nut that I can use to secure the bracket in place. Any advice is of course, appreciated :)

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2017 124 Spider Lusso
125 Posts
I just double checked and that is the correct mounting point. I have a AT Lusso

·
Registered
2017 124 Spider Lusso
125 Posts
is there not a nut right at the base of the pin?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
OMG, this is a British car which has an Explosive Bonnet. Jokes aside
I think there are 3 ways to install it.
1- If you have stock air system or V1 air then either on the fire wall where you mentioned or on the fender.
2-If you have a V4 and have the HOOD Strud, then you have to put it in front near the radiator, some manged it on the firewall.
3-If you have a V4 and no Hood stud, then you can put it on the fender where the hood strud goes or in front and if you lucky, on the firewall.
In 2 and 3 you need a bracket, hardware store sells check pics.

Attachments

Reactions: heyemer

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
634 Posts
Here's my install...looks like the same place, but I don't know if there's anything else rearranged in RHD vehicles. Your master cylinder looks as though it might get in the way of the hoses. May need to get creative in routing them or find another mount point. Also, there was a nut holding a bracket there on my car. I removed it, attached the catch can bracket and retightened it.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Here's my install...looks like the same place, but I don't know if there's anything else rearranged in RHD vehicles. Your master cylinder looks as though it might get in the way of the hoses. May need to get creative in routing them or find another mount point. Also, there was a nut holding a bracket there on my car. I removed it, attached the catch can bracket and retightened it. View attachment 88400
I see you found your green clip, or this pic was taken before.

Reactions: AnClar

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
634 Posts
I see you found your green clip, or this pic was taken before.
This was before…but yeah…I found the clip in the belly pan and finally got it fitted. :D

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
@heyemer, sorry, as I'm a bit late to the party.... but based on the photo of your engine bay, I'm going to make a couple of assessments. Hopefully you'll be able to find a solution that works for you. ...and remember, you can switch the intake feed/screen on the top of the catch can so you don't have to cross your hoses over top of each other. You'll see that's what I've done in my photo (below). If you need info on how to do that, let us know and one of us can point you to the instructions. It's easy and takes but a couple of minutes to do.

Due to the layout of the components in the RHD version of the Spider. I don't see how you're going to get it to fit in that space next to the master cylinder... maybe with some fiddling with the bracket, but it looks pretty tight. Second, with the explosive hood bolts, there's the potential you could mount it in the hole that sits just in front of the bracket that the hood lift connects to. In AnClar's photo, you'll see a hole just in front of that hood bracket (towards the front of the car). I used a self tapping threaded insert in that hole, and then used a stainless steel machine bolt to connect the catch can bracket to it. You can also pivot that arm more towards the front of the car if you need to. You can see that in my photo below.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Auto part

I've taken AnClar's photo and placed a red arrow to show the hole location I'm referring to....
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car Automotive exterior

Reactions: AnClar

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
I don't believe there ever was an OEM catch can sold by FCA or MOPAR. :) They're all after market 3rd party, and the EC (Eurocompulsion) kit is a nice one. It's what I have installed in my vehicle.

Not that it makes any real difference. The important part is that @spidersmx found an alternate mounting location that works with RHD Spiders. The only thing the OP may need to do is shorten the bracket that is used to support the catch can itself. Many folks here have done things like that, or bent the end into a 90 degree flange, etc. All in pursuit of finding a location they liked for mounting them. The end goal (aside from functionality) is to find a location that allows you to be able to somewhat easily be able to unscrew the canister to dump it without losing too much knuckle meat or blood in the process.

Reactions: chrisd37

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Guys, just a quick one regarding installing a catch can. I got the EC one, and just wanted to check if I need to get a nut to install the bracket on the car? I've got an AT Abarth, and I know it goes towards the back, but mine doesn't seem to have a nut that I can use to secure the bracket in place. Any advice is of course, appreciated :)

View attachment 88398 View attachment 88398

·
Registered
181 Posts
Oh wow I believe you are correct sir. That's nuts! Where in tarnation does our 124 Spider oil go after our engine oil separator (mopart 68320849aa) separates it?

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
997 Posts
The pan is the can? Now that's some efficiency at work!
You asked where the OEM oil separator puts the oil after it is separated correct? I answered should drain back into the oil pan.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The pan is the can supplants the need for a can and is perhaps more efficient since it need never be emptied? Now that's some efficiency at work!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts