Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the reasoning behind the 10 minute time limit on editing posts? I've bumped into this several times when trying to do something as simple as correcting a typo.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
What's the reasoning behind the 10 minute time limit on editing posts? I've bumped into this several times when trying to do something as simple as correcting a typo.
Yeah....I don't get it either. It's annoying.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I understand there being a time limit, other forums have been ruined by users later going back and removing or substantially altering the content of their posts, however I agree that 10 minutes is probably a tad brief.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I understand there being a time limit, other forums have been ruined by users later going back and removing or substantially altering the content of their posts, however I agree that 10 minutes is probably a tad brief.
Agree. 10 mins is too short.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i vote 30 minutes to an hour. i usually am posting between work interrupting and i might still miss the window but might be able to fix some of my silly mistakes. i don't know how quick responses are usually posted when there is a heated exchange going on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been frequenting forums for a long time. How would the editing or removal of a post "ruin" the forum? I've never experienced this. To me, the most damaging thing to forums is trolling.

But, if there is a valid issue, I defer to that and recommend 24 hours.

·
Administrator
401 Posts
I've been frequenting forums for a long time. How would the editing or removal of a post "ruin" the forum? I've never experienced this. To me, the most damaging thing to forums is trolling.

But, if there is a valid issue, I defer to that and recommend 24 hours.
It is to protect the content from being removed by a member that may become disgruntled and go on a 'rage quit', as it is referred to around here. They go through their entire history, editing their posts to remove their content, which removes some great information for other members and guests, or it disrupts the natural flow of the conversation in a thread, making it difficult to follow afterwards.

Any one else want to chime in on a reasonable amount of time for the edit to be available? Currently we have one hour or 24 hours suggested.

Dayle

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I see your point - thanks to MotoPete for the link to that Aprilia thread - that thread is worthless with the deletions.

I asked for 24 hours because I guess I'm getting a bit dyslexic as I get older. Like recently, I started a thread titled "what's in your garage," hoping for pix of people's garages - work benches, garage art, collections, etc - and instead I got replies about what cars people have in addition to the 124. If I could have edited that thread title the next day, I could have clarified what I was looking for. But I'll go with the flow based on whatever gets decided.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
60mins is good

·
Administrator
401 Posts
We can certainly help you with older posts - just get us the link and what changes you feel should be made.

What does the rest of the community think about increasing the Edits any further? Maybe meet halfway, at 12 hours?

Dayle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts