Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger (left side) on my 2016 Fiat 124 Spider has stopped raising/lowering, fortunately in the closed.

Neither switch on either the drivers side or passengers side will operate the window. That would suggest to me that it's unlikely to be a switch issue. When opening/closing the door, the window will lower/raise slightly as normal, to accommodate the soft top. That would suggest to me that it's unlikely to be a fault with the electric motor. I'm thinking it may just be a fuse. Seems to me the window operating normally with door openings may be because it's a different circuit?

Initially, I thought this would be a simple warranty fix. However, the main dealer, who supplied the car, say they initially require the car for 3 hours, to investigate the problem. They also require me to accept a £1000 personal excess, for any damage they consider suffered to a courtesy vehicle whilst in my care. Consequently, I'm reluctant to agree to the warranty work, without first gaining a greater understanding of the likely fault.

Any information would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
615 Posts
However, the main dealer, who supplied the car, say they initially require the car for 3 hours, to investigate the problem. They also require me to accept a £1000 personal excess, for any damage they consider suffered to a courtesy vehicle whilst in my care.
3 hours is not unreasonable, and unless they have no waiting room and are out in the sticks why bother with the courtesy car? Hang about or go for a walk...

·
Registered
476 Posts
usually in modern cars when you push on a switch you are simply sending a signal to a computer that will then engage the item. because your window goes up and down when you open close the door then the power circuit to the window should be good. the hang up should be on the side of the signal to the switch or inside the computer. if you can not work both windows from the left side or can't work passenger window from passenger switch then good chance not as switch or door wiring. it could still be but lower chance. Jeep used to put the computer for the windows and door locks inside the switches in the door, often time in the passenger door switch, so you could have a driver's window not working but need to replace the passenger side switch to fix it.

Reactions: M7ART

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The passenger (left side) on my 2016 Fiat 124 Spider has stopped raising/lowering, fortunately in the closed.

Neither switch on either the drivers side or passengers side will operate the window. That would suggest to me that it's unlikely to be a switch issue. When opening/closing the door, the window will lower/raise slightly as normal, to accommodate the soft top. That would suggest to me that it's unlikely to be a fault with the electric motor. I'm thinking it may just be a fuse. Seems to me the window operating normally with door openings may be because it's a different circuit?

Initially, I thought this would be a simple warranty fix. However, the main dealer, who supplied the car, say they initially require the car for 3 hours, to investigate the problem. They also require me to accept a £1000 personal excess, for any damage they consider suffered to a courtesy vehicle whilst in my care. Consequently, I'm reluctant to agree to the warranty work, without first gaining a greater understanding of the likely fault.

Any information would be gratefully received.
Forgive this advice as I know it sounds stupid, but you'll kick yourself if you don't double-check...
Are you sure you didn't bump the window lock switch that's next to the door lock switch? Because that will result in exactly the issue you describe.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Forgive this advice as I know it sounds stupid, but you'll kick yourself if you don't double-check...
Are you sure you didn't bump the window lock switch that's next to the door lock switch? Because that will result in exactly the issue you describe.
That happened to me once with a new car, and even the dealer had a difficult time figuring it out. Too funny, by the end of the day the lock switch was discovered. We all felt like idiots.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Can't say I've never done that before haha. But I agree, take it in and let them deal with it, if it's only going to be 3 hours, go grab a coffee and a bite to eat or something and the time will pass. Or get a bud to come with you and bring you back and go hang out or something?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DOR!!! Thank you Ameridan. Your right. Totally my stupidness. My apologies for wrongly dissin Fiat and wasting the time of other on this forum. Who said all the dinosaurs are dead? Now could somebody please tell me where to put the coal to build up a head of steam to move the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
DOR!!! Thank you Ameridan. Your right. Totally my stupidness. My apologies for wrongly dissin Fiat and wasting the time of other on this forum

Was getting worried there for a minute, thinking of gettting one and doing a bit of research before i take the plunge when i saw this post. Thank god its not a big problem, but good to know that people are there to sort things out,.

·
Registered
958 Posts
It's good to know that even when the windows are locked they will still retract when the top is lowered.

·
Registered
349 Posts
This might be one of those situations where having the owners manual might have been helpful since they often have a troubleshooting section. Thank god for those, many times they have called me out on my lack of awareness/stupidity :D

Glad to see the issue got resolved.

owners manual in PDF version on your phone is powerful thing.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
LOL I was thinking it was that too. But I thought saying something would be like when you ring IT support and they ask you if it's plugged in.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Do not feel bad; I did same thing with right side window. My daughter caught it for me . I had bumped it at night and didn't notice it.

Nike
My favorite duh was when I was pulled over on the side of the road with my dead motorcycle that had quit completely while I was riding it. A car and two motorcyclists pulled over to try and help. About ten minutes into it I was reciting the symptoms out loud when it finally dawned on me. Somehow I had inadvertently tripped the kill switch. :|

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sometimes you don't pay attention to the small details and have a face-palm moment when you do figure out what the problem is. Everyone has done something similar at least once in their lives as have I. Couldn't figure out why the passenger window wouldn't go down when they pressed the button.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does....we've all been there.....gets worse with age.....enjoy the moment of discovery and laugh out loud....pray you'll never do that again....yeah, right....

·
Registered
805 Posts
Was not calling anyone actually stupid...referring mainly to myself and all the silly things I've done over the years.....so keep the hobby horses in the corner...just having a little joke and a laugh....motor on....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best advice I've seen. Thanks for posting this solution. I was getting ready to take into the dealer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This thread saved me so much time and money. I let someone drive the car in a parking lot and they must have hit the window lock button. I could not for the life of me figure out why the passenger window would not go up...or down all the way. I was ready to start troubleshooting which is how I found this thread...LOL.

Next I was about to take the car to the dealer in the morning and have them look at it.

Thank You!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts