Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My earlier post before Thanksgiving about the rf Module or Mazda start stop box not working and the emergency start not working when you press the start button with the key. After weeks at the dealer, they replaced the RF module and start button and it worked when I got there. Didn't the next day. It worked like every other day. On the days the key was not detected, pushing the start button worked and the car usually worked correctly recognizing the key. I paid the extended warranty deductible of $250, so I brought it back. I was in contact with Fiat Cares and got a case number. They got Stars involved with Fiat troubleshooting.

Guess what? Fiat found out that an after market amp was installed (before I got the car) So Fiat says replace the wiring harness. Not covered under warranty. Car was at dealer for two weeks second time. You know the little amp thing was in the car for years. It was there when I got it. As far as I know, it never worked or did anything. Yet Fiat tech support claims it is the cause of the keys not being detected sometimes. Complete and utter bull. I am done. I have owned a 1978 fiat 124 since 1980. I have owned 5 fiat cars. I have attended and won awards at the Fiat club convention. I can't tell you how many times I have defended fiat. Dealer recommended leaving the car as is and not paying the thousands of dollars and months to get the part and then it probably won't fix the problem. Dealer spent 10 hours on this this time and Is only charging me for one hour. I have the maximum care warranty. It's a piece of Junk. Im done with Fiat. I am selling on my fiats and moving on with my life. I got the fiat warranty. They won't fix my problem. I know their answer. It must be something different with the car. OH it's that amp. Replace the wiring harness. Contemporary Motors of Milford NH, Fiat Cares, Stars, Fiat . Mopar warranty . You can all go to hell!

· Registered
1,009 Posts
Sorry to hear about your frustration with the car and the extended warranty.

With cars like ours, it’s super important when buying used to make sure any modifications to the car have not resulted in usability issues. (Nobody is going to mod their Camry).

Secondly, and I know I am going to stir the pot, extended warranties are generally a suckers bet. There are so many quid pro quo’s, like deductibles and non covered parts and issues, that most purchasers end up with a useless insurance policy. A friend had engine trouble, they said it was heat related, so go pound sand. These companies are in business to make money, not lose money. Robo calls anyone? Just saying.

Lastly, and in regards to the starter button issue, just give me an effing KEY! You know, it’s this thing that doesn’t need a battery, is metal, is easy to make a copy, and has generally worked fine for the past 70 some years. The Spider is a sports car. Having that big fob just doesn’t look cool hanging off of a leather patch key ring.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know someone on the forum that paid 5000 and waited six months for the part. Same problem after fiats recommended replacement. This particular dealer has tried to deny every single warranty repair. Maybe mouse ate the wires. Oh you shut the door too hard. You shut the hatchback too hard. All on my 500x. I usually don’t trust them with an oil change. But there did the bad repair job. So I took it back to them and got charged 200$ for it

· Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
2,237 Posts
Two things. One did they try programming a brand new key fob? Second are they sure they programmed the fob correctly? Maybe see if you can get a Mazda dealer to look at the issue. When I worked at Mazda, I had some issues where I would have to program the key multiple times before it would work consistently. Also may be a stupid question, but you do have two key fobs correct? If not you absolutely need two or there will be programming issues. I feel like some of the issues are caused by the fiat dealer not being properly equipped to work on this half breed.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer will not look at the issue anymore. Now that they found the previous owners amp. Fiat and them and mopar will no longer cover the issue under warranty unless I replace the wiring harness

· Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
2,237 Posts
The dealer will not look at the issue anymore. Now that they found the previous owners amp. Fiat and them and mopar will no longer cover the issue under warranty unless I replace the wiring harness
Sorry to hear this. I agree that the amp being installed causing the issue is utter BS. Good luck on your next car as it seems this one is going. I can’t say I blame you, pity the dealership ruined such a fantastic car for you.

· Super Moderator
1,596 Posts
Replacement of the harness by Dealership monkeys would be a recipe for disaster. I would expect a cascade of issues and outright failures. I’m sorry to hear about this and wonder if retrofitting to a keyed ignition would be possible?
best regards
Pete

· Registered
198 Posts
My earlier post before Thanksgiving about the rf Module or Mazda start stop box not working and the emergency start not working when you press the start button with the key. After weeks at the dealer, they replaced the RF module and start button and it worked when I got there. Didn't the next day. It worked like every other day. On the days the key was not detected, pushing the start button worked and the car usually worked correctly recognizing the key. I paid the extended warranty deductible of $250, so I brought it back. I was in contact with Fiat Cares and got a case number. They got Stars involved with Fiat troubleshooting.

Guess what? Fiat found out that an after market amp was installed (before I got the car) So Fiat says replace the wiring harness. Not covered under warranty. Car was at dealer for two weeks second time. You know the little amp thing was in the car for years. It was there when I got it. As far as I know, it never worked or did anything. Yet Fiat tech support claims it is the cause of the keys not being detected sometimes. Complete and utter bull. I am done. I have owned a 1978 fiat 124 since 1980. I have owned 5 fiat cars. I have attended and won awards at the Fiat club convention. I can't tell you how many times I have defended fiat. Dealer recommended leaving the car as is and not paying the thousands of dollars and months to get the part and then it probably won't fix the problem. Dealer spent 10 hours on this this time and Is only charging me for one hour. I have the maximum care warranty. It's a piece of Junk. Im done with Fiat. I am selling on my fiats and moving on with my life. I got the fiat warranty. They won't fix my problem. I know their answer. It must be something different with the car. OH it's that amp. Replace the wiring harness. Contemporary Motors of Milford NH, Fiat Cares, Stars, Fiat . Mopar warranty . You can all go to hell!
Wait. What am I missing? The guy that installed the aftermarket amp did not put in a different wiring harness. He made some connection into the harness and went about his business. I'd research and perform a reverse install of the amp and restore the harness to original - at least electrically. This is not rocket surgery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts