Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this article:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/fca-ending-fiat-production-italy/#ftag=CAD590a51e

This is the part that stood out:

"FCA will apparently chop the Fiat brand down to just the 500 and the not-sold-in-America Panda, while prioritizing the SUV segment that's making money for all automakers globally. In its first-quarter 2018 press release, FCA noted that Fiat and Alfa Romeo sales in Europe were down nine and 15 percent, respectively -- while Jeep sales rose 42 percent."

Thoughts?

·
Registered
273 Posts
will be interesting to see for sure!

However the Fiat 124 are basically manufactured by Mazda.. And not specifically called out.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
That message re: America not too clear.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm torn about this. On one side, it ups the rarity of our cars a bit. On the other side, warranty support may be more difficult to come by in the years to come (even though I'd probably be doing any minor work myself).

Reactions: Buffandsweet33

·
Administrator
1,969 Posts
I'm torn about this. On one side, it ups the rarity of our cars a bit. On the other side, warranty support may be more difficult to come by in the years to come (even though I'd probably be doing any minor work myself).
Warranty work should still be available, and I imagine Mazda wouldn't mind it.

On the rarity level though, it would certainly help these cars retain their value very nicely in the years to come.

·
Administrator
1,969 Posts
You think? I mean, would an orphaned Fiat really be that attractive in the coming years?

Actually the thing that I think will keep many newer cars from ever being thought of as classic is the focus on electronic/entertainment wizardry. It's easy to love a '67 Duetto and its classic 60's interior. But I wonder how well today's vehicles and their screens and buttons will age? It's one thing not to have high tech gadgetry. It's quite another to have old and outdated high tech gadgetry.
I don't think the entertainment tech is what would make a car rare or not. I think it will boil down to production numbers, capability, and demand. Look at the Supra for example.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I don't think the entertainment tech is what would make a car rare or not. I think it will boil down to production numbers, capability, and demand. Look at the Supra for example.
Maybe, and I think that's historically true. But I think we'll see a shift in that in the coming years when "older" vehicles will look like they have the equivalent of a DOS 3.2 PC and CGA monitor plastered inside. A true rare performance car (Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren, etc) will certainly always be sought after. I'm just not so sure about today's Fiats and such. There's "classic", and then there's "old." I just fear some of today's vehicles won't age as gracefully as previous generations did.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can't see how a Fiat presence in the US makes financial sense.

Also hard to see how continued production of the 124 makes financial sense - even with the Mazda partnership.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think this rounds out the details further, mass produced cars made in Italy (high cost labour markets) no longer make economical sense. Thats the way I read it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-18/fiat-ceo-is-said-to-plan-sweeping-production-shift-in-italy

There was a rumour last year regarding a price drop for Fiat NA, maybe part of the Sergios' June update is to announce this.... there are really next to no new (maybe 10) units up here which seems to be a sign that they are starving the market to relaunch...IMHO.

In any case, I'm still glad I have my 124 unicorn...

·
Registered
807 Posts

Also hard to see how continued production of the 124 makes financial sense - even with the Mazda partnership.
I'm no expert on the matter, but I think that the partnership helps Mazda as much as Fiat. My understanding is that the MX-5 platform isn't used in any other Mazda, making the MX-5 a tough sell at ~12,000 per year in numbers, or whatever. The deal with FCA to produce an additional vehicle on that platform is probably what saved it.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
It's bean a while that Marchione told Unions shape up or I ship out, and built cars behind the Iron Curtain cause it was cheaper labor. If he pulls out N. America, that would be the end of Fiat coming to N. America again. Marchione is not too stupid, but he needs to improve and commercialize the Fiat Brand. It's the bread and butter of Fiat.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I think this rounds out the details further, mass produced cars made in Italy (high cost labour markets) no longer make economical sense. Thats the way I read it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-18/fiat-ceo-is-said-to-plan-sweeping-production-shift-in-italy

There was a rumour last year regarding a price drop for Fiat NA, maybe part of the Sergios' June update is to announce this.... there are really next to no new (maybe 10) units up here which seems to be a sign that they are starving the market to relaunch...IMHO.

I agree with you. I see nothing harmful relating to our Mazda/Fiat partnership. he is bailing out of Western Europe, pure and simple. I guess the 4 day work week has done little for our European friends. Europe, or western Europe, has gone so far over the bend, I am surprised they can produce anything profitably

·
Registered
383 Posts

Trucks and SUVs will not always be in high demand, steadily rising gas prices are bound to bring a resurgance in smaller more efficient cars. It's happened before and it will happen again. So it's a safe bet to keep Fiat around as FCA's ace in the hole for when those tides turn.

Reactions: Seagas

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm no expert on the matter, but I think that the partnership helps Mazda as much as Fiat. My understanding is that the MX-5 platform isn't used in any other Mazda, making the MX-5 a tough sell at ~12,000 per year in numbers, or whatever. The deal with FCA to produce an additional vehicle on that platform is probably what saved it.
You are correct. There are lots of articles on the demise of the 4th gen Miata if not for the 124. Here’s one quoting a senior Mazda exec:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/chrysler/2016/06/20/payne-fiat-saved-mazdas-miata/86161468/

With regard to the Fiat brand in N. America (incl the 500), it’s tough to support the business plan for anything with less than 30K sales per year. However, discontinuing a brand in the U.S. is very costly to the OEM in terms of dealer costs. Adding Alfa-Romeo to Fiat dealers helps lessen the pain somewhat.

The below sales chart demonstrates how Fiat sales have fallen off a cliff. It’ll be very interesting to see Marchionne’s next move with this brand.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I am not worried in the least. I have my updated triumph/MG car with thoroughly updated lines, engine, and Japanese reliability to boot. I would not hesitate to buy it again today. I got exactly what I wanted, and the Miata was not it. If I had not stumbled on a plain Classica at my dealer's showroom, I would have never heard of this car and would have bought a totally rebuilt triumph Spitfire/GT6 or TR6 or even an MGB by now with all the mechanical nightmares they had. Completely rebuilt TR6's run in the $24-
$25000 if done right. I would love another Jag XKE, but they are pricey and just as bad mechanically as the Triumph/ MG's . Whomever called the phrase "fix it again Tony", relating to the Italian cars never drove a 60's Brit machine, but they had the aura and yes, the smell!! I seem to remember the Triumph and BSA scooters were pretty much in the same boat. I never forget the first time I saw a Kawasaki 500 in San Juan. It sounded like crap, I think it was and sounded like a two stroke. Whenever the driver got on it, it was mosquito control, so much smoke they left behind, but they spelled the beginning of the end for the British bikes at home, they were so fast and I presume reliable. I will keep Spidy I think

·
Registered
153 Posts
Read it again. The 124 isn't manufactured in Italy. It's built in Hiroshima at a joint plant that FCA and Mazda built together. That article has nothing to do with 124 production.
"FCA will apparently chop the Fiat brand down to just the 500 and the not-sold-in-America Panda

The 124 is part of the Fiat brand

Reactions: lordofthewings

·
Registered
748 Posts
"FCA will apparently chop the Fiat brand down to just the 500 and the not-sold-in-America Panda

The 124 is part of the Fiat brand
A reporter saying "apparently" doesn't mean much...

·
Registered
4 Posts
The car is so beautiful, so right and so much fun to drive. If FCA would just get off their lazy butts and advertise it on television FIAT/Mazda wouldn't be able to make them fast enough. It's a no brainer. In my opinion there hasn't been a sports car this desirable since the Datsun 240Z was introduced in 1970. Calling Italy: Wakey wakey!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts