Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
1,251 Posts
Hi @Bob Polselli , First off, full disclosure, I have not compared a Wix filter to an OEM (Mopar) air filter. However, I would like to offer you some insight into what I have observed over the years - that OEM filters are generally of higher quality than aftermarket filters. So as a general rule I recommend OEM over aftermarket items. I have seen the difference whether you are comparing oil, engine air or cabin air filters, and there are differences between aftermarket brands, and some aftermarket items appear to be at least the equivalent of OEM - so it may be a crap shoot. History - years ago several of us techs were curious about the quality of oil filters we were using on GM cars ( being techs at a GM dealership). We cut in half - top to bottom - several filters including AC/Delco (OEM), Fram, Wix, Group 7, NAPA, and a couple of others. The AC/Delco was by far the best construction and filter material, Fram and Wix weren't bad, the others - well . . . you know. So, given my observations over the years, I go with OEM. That isn't to say the Wix filter won't work. Best, s

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wix -$21
Mopar-$59
Both listed as OE for our 124s. Any recommendation as to which I should go with or other suggestions?
I have a BMC fiber cleanable air filter just removed from my 2029 Abarth. Liked it a lot over OEM paper filter. Just installed Eurocompulsion V4.
Would sell (very reasonable) and ship if you are interested.
(Can send pics in a while)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi @Bob Polselli , First off, full disclosure, I have not compared a Wix filter to an OEM (Mopar) air filter. However, I would like to offer you some insight into what I have observed over the years - that OEM filters are generally of higher quality than aftermarket filters. So as a general rule I recommend OEM over aftermarket items. I have seen the difference whether you are comparing oil, engine air or cabin air filters, and there are differences between aftermarket brands, and some aftermarket items appear to be at least the equivalent of OEM - so it may be a crap shoot. History - years ago several of us techs were curious about the quality of oil filters we were using on GM cars ( being techs at a GM dealership). We cut in half - top to bottom - several filters including AC/Delco (OEM), Fram, Wix, Group 7, NAPA, and a couple of others. The AC/Delco was by far the best construction and filter material, Fram and Wix weren't bad, the others - well . . . you know. So, given my observations over the years, I go with OEM. That isn't to say the Wix filter won't work. Best, s
Appreciate the feedback and background you gave.
I have a BMC fiber cleanable air filter just removed from my 2029 Abarth. Liked it a lot over OEM paper filter. Just installed Eurocompulsion V4.
Would sell (very reasonable) and ship if you are interested.
(Can send pics in a while)
Thank you for the offer. Yesterday I ordered a Mopar

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,144 Posts
Just as a side note, there is no factory filter ever! Factory’s are busy building and designing cars. They don’t make 1% of the parts in them let alone consumables. They take bids on the cheapest company that makes a product that won’t destroy the thing they spent time and money actually creating. Also most importantly thy don’t want to have a bad reputation. The cap on our cars say Purolator, and that’s who makes our filters and that’s who I would choose if I had the option. Unfortunately they are not readily available in my area so I too have found Mann to be of high quality and use their oil filters. As for air filters I bought a BMC, I clean it every oil change (3k miles, or six months). BMC makes very high quality filters and supplies exotic cars with “OEM” filters. So I trust them plus any freeing of air flow and reduced pumping losses are a plus! Anyway this post has become a novel so take from it what you will, and hopefully some of this helps some one some day. @SteveP. I agree with all you posted above but wanted to clarify. This is in no way intended to discredit anything you posted above, as I highly respect and appreciate your contributions and friendship on this forum.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I consider MANN filters as one of the better aftermarket suppliers (as well as an OEM supplier to some manufacturers). My opinion. s.
I don't know about the air filter, but I used the Mopar oil filter in my Fiat 500 exclusively for a couple of years, then switched to Mann. A Mann filter was installed at the factory in my 500L, and I was really impressed with the filters construction when I did the first oil change.

The Mann filter is a lot better than the Mopar, it's built a lot better, has more pleats, and a finer filter medium. I like the way that the pleats are molded into the top and bottom of the filter. 100% of the oil that enters the filter passes through the pleats, with no leakage at the top or bottom.

All of that said, Mann is an outlier. Probably because they are an OEM supplier and they are a German company. I agree with Steve that the OEM filters (and more often than not, repair parts) are usually better quality than aftermarket. The worst filter I have seen for the 1.4 is AC Delco, absolute junk. It's hard to believe that the AC Delco filter meets OEM requirements.

Reactions: Bob Polselli

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have used Mann oil filters since my first oil change. A solid filter and no issues.

Does Mann make an engine air filter for the Spider? I'm not finding one. If they do, what is the part number?

So far, so good with the aFe cleanable dry filter (OEM replacement) I've been using since about day 1 (a bit over 20000 miles since May 2017). I carefully wash and dry it at the end of each season. I bought it on Eurocompulsion's advice. I don't know how long I can expect it to last, though.

Steve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts