Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Vegasj4040.... nice strut !!! Where are you approx the uK ? .... . I'm in South East Wales. Currently not in lockdown !!!!
Hi Vegasj4040.... nice strut !!! Where are you approx the uK ? .... . I'm in South East Wales. Currently not in lockdown !!!!
Hi Arthur .. No where near you .. over the side South East England .. still in lockdown ..

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Hi Vegas......Photo of your "Spider" would be nice...........Nowhere near either one of you down here in "Sunny" Cornwall, could be in lockdown, might be in tier three, two, one...don't even know what day of the week it is normally however....I do know one thing ..............Look after your family, Friends and selves. I have just started putting up the Christmas decs and organising a Advent calendar window display, so "COME ON" chaps, get moving and raise the local morale near you !
Oh, I just happened to have taken my "Spider" for a spin too so if I sound like I am on something.....Adrenalin.
Cheers
ron

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG For anyone suffering.....No harm intended.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Hard to tell from the picture, but I don’t see the studs coming up through the rear mounts. Did you install the Abarth cowl brace to secure the rear mount? If not, it is available from a number of vendors on the forum.

You can see the rear mount studs on my brace. Without the brace you are not getting the full performance out of the brace.

AA8098BE-D696-4381-B557-C58D382DADC5.jpeg

Dan

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
”COME ON" chaps, get moving and raise the local morale near you .
I will be sharing a Lagavulin 16 with my son and his next door neighbors around the fire pit at my son’s cabin in the Southern California mountains. There will be six of us. We will maintain social distancing while enjoying good spirits and chat in the cool 6500 foot elevation atmosphere. 🥃😁

Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard to tell from the picture, but I don’t see the studs coming up through the rear mounts. Did you install the Abarth cowl brace to secure the rear mount? If not, it is available from a number of vendors on the forum.

You can see the rear mount studs on my brace. Without the brace you are not getting the full performance out of the brace.

View attachment 80270

Dan
Hi Dan ... thanks for picking up my post that’s really helpful thanks for the comment I was scratching my head as to the obvious ommision of something bolting in those vacant holes but was not knowledgeable enough, obviously I needed to do more research and you have helped massively. We only have a 2018 lusso plus (pics posted in new member yesterday) Q1 will the abarth cowl brace fit our car ? Q2 can you provide a specific link to one ? The pic you provided was really useful in pointing it out .. and the engine looks amazing ... thanks Vegas

·
Registered
625 Posts
Welcome @Vegasj4040 (unusual forum name, is there a story behind it?) from another South East UK owner (near M3 J3). I just looked up that strut brace and for $80 you can't really complain but I would imagine it cost a bit more once you found someone prepared to ship it to the UK and paid VAT etc.? The "fitting kit" you need is just over £60 inc. postage from here Fiat 124 Spider Mounting Kit for Stabilizer - Anti Roll Bar Suspension or you could try a Mazda parts place, part number QNDA-56-49X, helpful instructions are here Front Strut Tower Brace Cowl Bracket Install Also I noticed your "engine cover" is different from mine and as plain as it is, I think it's a bit nicer than mine (it changed in mid-2017).

Reactions: Mike34 and depotdan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Dan ... thanks for picking up my post that’s really helpful thanks for the comment I was scratching my head as to the obvious ommision of something bolting in those vacant holes but was not knowledgeable enough, obviously I needed to do more research and you have helped massively. We only have a 2018 lusso plus (pics posted in new member yesterday) Q1 will the abarth cowl brace fit our car ? Q2 can you provide a specific link to one ? The pic you provided was really useful in pointing it out .. and the engine looks amazing ... thanks Vegas
Hello,

I have a new one in stock. Send me an email with your address and I can give you a shipping quote. My email is [email protected].

Bryan

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi ... first post only had our 2018 Spider plus auto for a month or so ... found this owners group amazing really useful and helpful posts. Installed a new engine bay strut imported from the USA .. worked a treat.
Welcome aboard from the Country known as Scotland, in the Tier 4 lock down county of Lanarkshire. I might get the Spider out for a warm up in the cul de sac if it stops raining... Have fun with your Lusso!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
There you go. A few key strokes and you have your info. Pretty cool. This forum has provided me with a wealth of information and help over the years. Thanks to @azzura and Brian @NGEN for their quick support. I find it interesting that you chose a strut tower brace as one of your first mods. 2 suggested mods that easily fit into the budget are an upgraded diverter valve and a set of gas struts for the bonnet. The former will help eliminate boost leak and the latter will eliminate that intrusive bonnet prop and hold the bonnet higher. This is an advantage, when working in the engine bay. Some of your new Brit friends will advise to the correct set, since you have an OEM explosive bonnet hinge release system.

Pictures please. The more, the better.

Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Bryan .. nice one will do .. can you put some pics up of the parts ? .. Cheers Vegas
There you go. A few key strokes and you have your info. Pretty cool. This forum has provided me with a wealth of information and help over the years. Thanks to @azzura and Brian @NGEN for their quick support. I find it interesting that you chose a strut tower brace as one of your first mods. 2 suggested mods that easily fit into the budget are an upgraded diverter valve and a set of gas struts for the bonnet. The former will help eliminate boost leak and the latter will eliminate that intrusive bonnet prop and hold the bonnet higher. This is an advantage, when working in the engine bay. Some of your new Brit friends will advise to the correct set, since you have an OEM explosive bonnet hinge release system.

Pictures please. The more, the better.

Dan
Nice one Dan 👍🏻.. replying to
Welcome @Vegasj4040 (unusual forum name, is there a story behind it?) from another South East UK owner (near M3 J3). I just looked up that strut brace and for $80 you can't really complain but I would imagine it cost a bit more once you found someone prepared to ship it to the UK and paid VAT etc.? The "fitting kit" you need is just over £60 inc. postage from here Fiat 124 Spider Mounting Kit for Stabilizer - Anti Roll Bar Suspension or you could try a Mazda parts place, part number QNDA-56-49X, helpful instructions are here Front Strut Tower Brace Cowl Bracket Install Also I noticed your "engine cover" is different from mine and as plain as it is, I think it's a bit nicer than mine (it changed in mid-2017).
That’s awesome .. great links .. the description isn’t clear but on the mounting kit what’s included so I’ll give them a call. Yeah the price for my strut with the shipping still worked out miles cheaper than anything I found UK based. M4 Corridor based so not a million miles away

·
Registered
90 Posts
I will be sharing a Lagavulin 16 with my son and his next door neighbors around the fire pit at my son’s cabin in the Southern California mountains. There will be six of us. We will maintain social distancing while enjoying good spirits and chat in the cool 6500 foot elevation atmosphere. 🥃😁

Dan
A man with exquisite and consummate taste Lagavulin 16 and a 124 owner!. I've always liked Smokey/peaty Highland malts and have been working my way up to Lagavulin 16 as the most Smokey of all. It arrived as an early Birthday present from my wife and son 4 weeks ago (y). 3 weeks and 5 days ago I last my sense of taste and smell and tested positive for Covid 19 (another present from my wife and her employer the NHS) and haven't been able to taste or smell anything since. (n)

Just hoping they both return at some point otherwise it will be an expensive decoration in the drinks cupboard. Looking on the bright side, I've still got the 124 :D

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
A man with exquisite and consummate taste Lagavulin 16 and a 124 owner!. I've always liked Smokey/peaty Highland malts and have been working my way up to Lagavulin 16 as the most Smokey of all. It arrived as an early Birthday present from my wife and son 4 weeks ago (y). 3 weeks and 5 days ago I last my sense of taste and smell and tested positive for Covid 19 (another present from my wife and her employer the NHS) and haven't been able to taste or smell anything since. (n)

Just hoping they both return at some point otherwise it will be an expensive decoration in the drinks cupboard. Looking on the bright side, I've still got the 124 :D
Thankfully you’re a survivor. Here’s hoping those lost senses return before Christmas. If so, sit back, relax and enjoy that dram. What‘s really nice is introducing your son to some of the nicer spirits.

Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas.

Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts