Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I agree with Brexit..... the probability of a wastegate failure at exactly the same time as a DV+ replacement is inconceivable. I'd check for freedom of movement of the piston. If I were a betting man I'd plump for the electrical connection..... but then again, I'm not a betting man !
The piston has been moving freely whenever i press it in. It pops out immediately when i let it go. So, I think that's good. I started the engine without putting the DV back into the place. I reved the engine and checked on the piston to see if it's moving. It popped out but it wasn't moving. I'm wondering if it's supposed to keep moving.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The piston has been moving freely whenever i press it in. It pops out immediately when i let it go. So, I think that's good. I started the engine without putting the DV back into the place. I reved the engine and checked on the piston to see if it's moving. It popped out but it wasn't moving. I'm wondering if it's supposed to keep moving.
That may be the issue, starting the engine without the DV installed. I suggest disconnecting the battery and verifying your installation connections. Then reconnect battery and try again.

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
3,244 Posts
It's usually the electrical connection. It's easy to either forget to plug it in, or not get the connector seated all the way.

Greg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That may be the issue, starting the engine without the DV installed. I suggest disconnecting the battery and verifying your installation connections. Then reconnect battery and try again.

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk
Sorry, I don't think I was clear enough. I didn't start up the engine without DV the first day.
Here is the very brief timeline.

First day
Installed the DV+ and followed the instructions as much as I can. Engine was never started that day until I finished the installation.
Took it out for a drive to see if it's working currectly. As soon as I started accelerating, I can tell that there is huge amount of loss of power.
The ECL came up few minutes after I started to drive
Took the DV off and re-assembled it.
Checked all the vacuum hose, no damaged hose, intercoolor should be good because my car only has 13k miles on it. Same for actuator.
Took it for the second drive and same thing.
Gave up on it for now.

Second day
Had work and drove to work. Still no power. Fuel mileage seems fine but it was of course could've been better.
Got the code p2261.

Third day(9/15/2020)
Took the DV off again, checked the piston movement, checked O-ring damage, Checked valve damage. No damage was seen
I've read something on GFB related website to see if the piston is moving freely when you rev the engine. This is the point where I took DV out of the turbo and watched to see if the piston is moving.

I don't know what else I've done wrong to make the car not working. I didn't drop the piston anywhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's usually the electrical connection. It's easy to either forget to plug it in, or not get the connector seated all the way.

Greg
Electrical connection to the DV right? It's on all the way.

·
Registered
954 Posts
A possible troubleshooting option........... Disconnect the electrical connection lead. Then see if the "fault/operation" is the same. If so, then it's likely to have not been seated correctly in the first place. OWNER's Responsibility !!!!! It's
what I would do. Good Luck 👍

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
This just came to my mind.

On the EC website, you can choose to op in for longer bolts and I did choose the longer bolts for the future purpose when I get the blow off plate.

I used the bolts that came in the GFB DV+ but could not find the longer bolts that I opted for. the bolts that came in the box, are they longer bolts? But it fits way too perfectly with the turbo.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've been trying to clear it this morning but I haven't been able to figure it out. I imagine it has to do with waste gate stuck somewhere meaning DV+ is stuck...
you should disconnect the battery for 15 mins and then run it again

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
UPDATE 3

I got it to work finally. Everyone's opinion was a big help.

I followed the assembly steps little more carefully this time and I found a little particle in the OEM Part of the Waste gate. It made the longer spring to be pushed down all the way down the chamber. Which made the planger to be wide open all the time. That's where I was keep losing the boost pressure. I couldn't believe that small as an ant particle basically killed the boost.

Important lesson is that most of the faulty comes from owners responsibility.

Thanks for all the helps that you guys have been giving me.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Hooray ! Now we can all sleep in our beds tonight.....👌

Reactions: ImSquint

·
Registered
431 Posts
UPDATE 3

I followed the assembly steps little more carefully this time and I found a little particle in the OEM Part of the Waste gate. It made the longer spring to be pushed down all the way down the chamber. Which made the planger to be wide open all the time. That's where I was keep losing the boost pressure. I couldn't believe that small as an ant particle basically killed the boost.

Glad all of us were of help to your cause

Reactions: jetlag and ImSquint

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
348 Posts
Good detective work. Glad to see you got it sorted. Sometimes the littlest issues can cause the biggest problems. Enjoy the new DV+

Reactions: ImSquint

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
UPDATE 3

With everything you had previously checked, it had to be something physical. Good job for sticking with it and figuring out the cause.

·
Registered
2017 124 Spider Abarth
25 Posts
Ooh boy, I'm about to install this on my 2017 124A tomorrow. Hmmm may wait a minute. Hope you get it sorted. Let us know?
I have had mine on and no issues! It actually works really well. I don't care for the snap crackel pop's tune. LoL

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know how I possible messed up this simple installation on my 2017 124 Abarth. But, I have a feeling that I did mess it up somehow.

My 124 spider has EC Phase 1 tune W/ P&B (Pops and bangs) and haven't done anything else other than brakes and pad upgrade. I read that DV+ helps with the boost loss in between the gear shift, which I really wanted to get rid of. So I finally got it from EC website and installed it with the installation video. Very simple process and I was excited. After putting the DV+ in the car, things started to act little weird.

At first, everything was fine. Car drove fine and P&B still worked until 10 seconds into driving the car. All the sudden Engine Check light came up and I instantly felt the loss of power in every RPM. Usually the boost comes in around 2.5k to 3k RPM but it felt like a N/A Engine.

I've done some boost leak research on this forum and most of the solutions don't seem to help my situation. I've checked BOV hose, tightened the bolts, filled up the coolant and such.

I took the DV+ off and kind of took the same steps again to assemble it. I bolted it in the car for the second time and drove it again. First, I was happy that the boost came back but not until long, it lost the power again.

I don't have the obd2 reader to see what the check engine light is about. Anyone have any idea what I should do to fix this problem? Thanks!
Watch drop top tees install video on you tube maybe ther something
specific about the spring install.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts