Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have about 2k km, 500km with E D L, on, octane gas 91.

Drove to my niece, stop car, showed her the car, she got in and tried to start it, 4 or 5 times, then I forgot that I had the FOB.

I got into the car, started and 3 to 4 turns to start, then it went POP POP POP and I gave some gas and was OK. stopped engine. Could not see if engine light came on due to sunlight. Then a couple hours after I got into the car, started ok, and as I was driving I noticed the engine light was ON> turned the engine off for a minute and turned back on and engine light was still on, drove the car normally, it accelerated ok, came home parked car.

I press the clutch I see the Key light come on, (which I think it procedure) and started the car and the ENGINE LIGHT WAS STILL ON.

Suppose to get the OBII within 3 weeks. Any guess what went or is wrong.

I did not know the 124spider engine light is so sensitive.:eek:

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
You need to check the trouble codes that are being reported by the ECU.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Check the oil level. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
Without knowing the code, there is little diagnosis that can be done at this point. There are various apps that can do this with your smart phone for under 10 bucks, you also need a blue tooth adapter which is inexpensive.

Greg

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had checked the engine oil, mind you there's nothing written on the stick, Its a flexible stick, the level was just where the the notch is (1 inch from the bottom),, the catch can is empty and dry, we have not had hot weather here yet. 20c max very cold wet spring.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a pic of the end of the dip stick, no markings to indicate low or max the arrow shows where the oil level is.
The dip stick is near where you pour OIL in the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
Here is a pic of the end of the dip stick, no markings to indicate low or max the arrow shows where the oil level is.
It would be easier to see if you focused your camera better. Assuming your arrow is where I think it is, at the top of the hashed section, it looks like you are at the full mark.

Oil level does not seem to be a problem. Get a code reader, or go to an auto parts store where they will read it for you.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Tomorrow I'll get one of this, I have ordered 2 of these from Aliexpress but coming at end of June. this should work with with my Samsung A5 android phone I already have the App Torque light on my phone. I hope it's related to the problem indicated above. But it would be stupid.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
...or go to an auto parts store where they will read it for you.
Do this, in lieu of having a code reader (The stores sell code readers, also, but you will be looking at anything from $40 to $100+).

·
Registered
606 Posts
My 500L has the same dipstick... The flattened section with the crosshatch pattern indicates the safe oil level range, high to low. It can be hard to see sometimes, especially right after an oil change.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So since the oil level is below the flat portion, that means I am missing oil. Cause if you see the arrow it's just below the flat portion. Crazy dip stick.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
So since the oil level is below the flat portion, that means I am missing oil. Cause if you see the arrow it's just below the flat portion. Crazy dip stick.

Where is the OBD2 connection, I checked under the steering and could not see any. tia
Wait, this goes contrary to what you show in the pictures: it appears that your oil level is within the hatch marks? Is this not the case?

The OBD2 connection is there, closer to the door side. Get yer 'ed under there! You'll see it. ;)

·
Registered
727 Posts
For me, the #1 culprit for a check engine light has been an untightened gas cap. Regarding the "popping" sound, my Genesis sedan did that last January on an extremely cold morning but never did it again. Looking at you photo, the oil level looks fine. If it's something minor, your light might go off after a few start/stop cycles. Let us know the diagnosis.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Even though the photo is out of focus, your oil level looks fine to me. right at full.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Loaded OPD2 on my cell, would not connect then I started the car and finally connected.
SOthis is the engine code I got.

P0335 POWERTRAIN CRANKSHAFT SENSOR A POSITION

like I mentioned in my first post, due my niece did not have the FOB with her she attempt to start but no dice. Then I realized the situation and I sat in the car and started while starting it, it cranked about 4 times then started and engine was roughly POP POP POP and ran ok. While driving I had no issue with the car, starting, acceleration and driving it.

Is this a major issue or an isolated issue.

Should I errace the code and see if it comes back. I don't think its EDL issue.

While in the Torque APP is there anything I should observe re: EDL tia

·
Registered
958 Posts
Based on your arrow in the photo, your oil level is full. You are not missing oil.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Loaded OPD2 on my cell, would not connect then I started the car and finally connected.
SOthis is the engine code I got.

P0335 POWERTRAIN CRANKSHAFT SENSOR A POSITION

like I mentioned in my first post, due my niece did not have the FOB with her she attempt to start but no dice. Then I realized the situation and I sat in the car and started while starting it, it cranked about 4 times then started and engine was roughly POP POP POP and ran ok. While driving I had no issue with the car, starting, acceleration and driving it.

Is this a major issue or an isolated issue.

Should I errace the code and see if it comes back. I don't think its EDL issue.

While in the Torque APP is there anything I should observe re: EDL tia
I think your niece broke it!. Just kidding. The crankshaft sensor supplies a single to the engine controller that indicates the position of the crankshaft. The ECU times other activation signals based on the sensor for spark, valves and possibly more. I don't thing the POP! POP! POP! was a coincidence. I would get the car to the dealer right away. An intermittent crankshaft sensor could fatally damage the engine. I would call the dealer first and see if he recommends it be towed in.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The car runs ok and starts ok since incident, I did 20km from my niece to home. plus I started a couple of times and today I had to move the car and no problem.

Since the car is running OK, I wanted to erase the Error Code and see if it repeats. If it was serious the engine light would flash or car would run rough or hard time starting.

So, do I erase the code and drive till I get the engine light again or Call the Dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The car runs ok and starts ok since incident, I did 20km from my niece to home. plus I started a couple of times and today I had to move the car and no problem.

Since the car is running OK, I wanted to erase the Error Code and see if it repeats. If it was serious the engine light would flash or car would run rough or hard time starting.

So, do I erase the code and drive till I get the engine light again or Call the Dealer.
If it's me, I call the dealer first. If he says drive it in and it blows up, it is on him. Just my opinion.

·
Administrator
1,932 Posts
I concur. Drive the dealer and at least have it documented with the dealer that this service code came up in the event that a failure occurs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts